Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Passenger

Default RC newbie - Please help

My name is Kristy and I'm an Royal Caribbean virgin.

Okay, now that I have gotten that out of the way I can get into my problem...This cruise isn't actually for me- I know, sad sad, but believe it or not that isn't the problem- I have purchased a 7night Western Caribbean out of Miami aboard the Liberty of the Sea for my parents. They are first time cruisers (this will be the second VACATION they have taken alone since they've been married. The first was ten years ago they did an all inclusive in Mexico after the last of us kids graduated and moved out.) My father is an avid dock stalker (meaning he hangs out in ports to take pictures of the cruise ships and watches them go in and out) and always marvels over the sheer size of these ships so I figured what could be better then the freedom family. The only problem is that I have never cruised on RCI before and don't know what to expect. I want to include as much as possible in this trip so I will be booking two excursions that I know they'd love and have purchased cruise credits to be used towards a few lunches at Johnny Rockets and an evening at Chops. I also included some for souvenirs and gambling and of course have prepaid gratuities. They don't drink so I am not worried about paying for alcohol but I was wondering if anyone knows what the cost is of the pop, ice cream (mmmm Ben and Jerrys ), and bottled water. Also, is there bottled water in your cabin that you can purchase or can you order it from your room steward? Does RC let you bring your own water on? Does any one have any other tips as to what I could pay for or should include money for? Weeeeeellllll...I have sufficiently rambled. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Passenger

What an awesome gift you're giving!!

As for the Soda/pop package, we just sailed on Mariner of the Seas this past Sept. and it was awesome! I seem to remember it costing around $40 pp or so which looking back I'm now thinking to myself "What were we thinking"?! They gave us insulated drink mugs which are nice but for the amount of soda we really drank, that was a bit rediculas
If your parents like lemonade or ice tea that is included with meals. I think personnally I'll be more apt to just drink those next time.

Not sure about the bottled water and if you can bring it onboard or not. I think they supplied them in the mini-bar and I know that they were selling them in the hallway when you leave the ship to go to the different ports so it was available.

Ben & Jerry's was like any normal ice cream parlor off the ship ~ depends on size and what you get (sundae vs. cone) but prices were like $3 and change on up to $5 or $6 if you got a sundae if memory serves.

Chops was fabulous btw! Make sure to tell your parents to book as soon as they arrive as you cannot book ahead of time. We just went straight to the resturant on the first day and booked in person. It was very easy that way and the choices for when to dine were wide open.

HTH's

Old November 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yep, totally agree about Chops, have them make reso's after they board, they will love it.

As for bottled water, its available in each cabin, but honestly, the tap water is just fine and the cabin attandant will bring fresh ice daily.

Will they be doing the Eastern or Western Caribbean?

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Admiral

I am very excited for your parents- and I don't even know them!!! They are in for a great vacation. Did you tell them yet? The Liberty sounds like a perfect ship for your Father being that he loves the larger ships. Just wait until he gets on board.....

Already sailed:
enchantment of the seas 4/8/04
coral princess 8/6/05
jewel of the seas 12/17/05
explorer of the seas 6/25/06
jewel of the seas 12/30/06
explorer of the seas 6/22/07
Old November 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone! You've all been so helpful!

Scoootch
Thanks for all the info. I'll be sure to add plenty of credits for icecream. It's good to know that they have bottled water going into the ports. I was thinking about the Soda Pkg but after reading your post I think that I will just add extra cruise credits for pop because I don't think they will drink enough to warrant getting the package. It's good to know they have iced tea because my mom drinks that ALL the time. Thanks for the info on chops I'll make sure they know to book right away.

Donna
They are going on the Western Caribbean. Once the excursions for 2009 are posted for this cruise I will be booking the Swim with the Dolphins excursion in Cozumel. ( Has anyone done this excursion? Is it good?) Thanks for the info on the tap water. I've never been on RC and I personally thought the tap water on Princess was really gross (tasted kind of metallic) which might be one of the reasons their coffee is so bad haha, but the tap water on HAL was fine.

Enchantment04
I am super excited too, although a little jealous haha. I think my next cruise will have to be on this ship. My dad will be awestruck when he gets on board. It looks massive in the pictures I can only imagine how big it will be in person. I haven't told them yet and it's DRIVING ME CRAZY! It's hard not to blurt it out. We are giving it to them for Christmas and they will be sailing on their anniversary.

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your posts!
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm your parents already know this but they are really lucky to have children like you!

What an amazing gift!

Adventure-12/03 S.Carib;Explorer-12/04 W.Carib;Jewel-12/05 W.Carib;Serenade-7/06 Alaska;Rhapsody-12/06 E.Carib;Adventure-12/07 S.Carib;Radiance-10/08 Pan.Canal;Splendour-8/09 Greece;Oasis-8/10 W.Carib;Navigator-12/10 W. Carib;Liberty-2/11 W.Carib;Mariner-6/11 Med.;Brilliance-2/13 E.Carib.
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi KC,
Yes, have swam with the dolphins in Cozumel, great expierence. I'm sure you will love it as well. Be prepared, they will be making a movie of your time with the dolphins, so for a hefty price, you can view and then purchase it if you want. If you have other members of your group with you, but not swimming, they too can take you pic or movie. There is a place for visitors to watch while the others do their swim.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Passenger

You can bring bottled water on board and soda too. Just be reasonable. If they see you comming with a cart full for a 7 day cruise they might question that. We brought 2 cases of water onboard for a 14 day cruise and it worked out well. It is nice to bring it off the ship with you when you are in port etc... There is water and soda in the frige but you will pay mini bar prices. They can ask the room steward to remove those items after they board.
As far as shore excursions, if you don't know what your parents will want to do you might want to contact RC and ask if they can set up on board credit for them. If not, you could always give cash and they can apply it to their sea pass account after they board.
What a nice gift for your parents!
Mariner OTS- W Caribbean 10/08