Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Beginner

Default Royal Family Suite - Freedom of the Seas - Help!

My family is planning a cruise for next year on the Freedom of the Seas (our first RCCL cruise) and I am looking for any comments on the Royal Family Suites. Please help! We are trying to decide if it is worth the money or if we should get adjoining rooms instead.
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Depends on the size and ages of the kids. You might want to let the kids have their own space. The Freedom though is the ship for a multi-generational group. You will see what I mean when you get there.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Just remember when adding up the prices, first 2 people in a cabin are charged full price, including kids if thats the case. You may be better off with the suite, just do the math and see how it comes out.

I'm sure the entire family will totally enjoy this cruise.

Happy Cruising!

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Beginner

Has anyone heard anything negative about the Royal Family Suites?
Old November 15th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Nope, nothing negative at all.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 16th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Admiral

Default Re: FS - FR - Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedcruiser
My family is planning a cruise for next year on the Freedom of the Seas (our first RCCL cruise) and I am looking for any comments on the Royal Family Suites. Please help! We are trying to decide if it is worth the money or if we should get adjoining rooms instead.
I agree with subtropic about age/size on family members and with Donna about the maths. In theory the FS can sleep up to eight, but I would most certainly not recommend that. Six at the most is my suggestion.
I should perhaps add that when the times I have sailed in an FS, there were only two of us. Myself and a grown up son and we want separate bedrooms but a mutual living area.
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Admiral

When tried to book 2 RFS on the Mariner when she comes to LA in 09 becasue we have 9 people but we were told you HAD to have a minimum of 5 in each cabin and they wouldn't budge. We liked the idea of each couple having their own sleeping area with a mutual living room and we would have one large balcony.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
When tried to book 2 RFS on the Mariner when she comes to LA in 09 becasue we have 9 people but we were told you HAD to have a minimum of 5 in each cabin and they wouldn't budge. We liked the idea of each couple having their own sleeping area with a mutual living room and we would have one large balcony.
I know Teresa, I guess you ought to have special connections if you want to book a FS for less than five guests
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Beginner

Thank you all for your help. One last question...those of you that have stayed in the Royal Family Suites, did you ever have an issue with soot on the deck or any problems with the concierge services?
Old November 16th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by worriedcruiser
Thank you all for your help. One last question...those of you that have stayed in the Royal Family Suites, did you ever have an issue with soot on the deck or any problems with the concierge services?
No problems with either issues
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Beginner

Default Get the Jr. Suites in back...

Book two or three of the Jr. Suites in the back of the ship, and then open up the balconies (unless you are hell bent on going stir crazy with a bunch of kids in the room...)
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:31 PM
First Mate

I sailed on Freedom of the Seas in March 2007 in a Grand Suite, when chatting with the Concierge about the Royal Family Suite, he mentioned that many passengers have complained about the soot that falls on the deck and that they are always cleaning the area. I've not experienced this first hand; however, it was a direct quote from him. Either way, it's an awesome cabin and I'm sure the soot can't be all that bad? Also, the only other challenge with any cabin in the aft is the additional vibration of the motors you'll feel; I've only felt it when standing up there on higher deck; however, maybe someone else can comment on their experience in an aft cabin?
Old January 15th, 2008, 12:49 PM
First Mate

Default RF Suite

I have been in 9654 on Serenade. Last cabin aft before the aft facing cabins. No vibration problem at all.
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Carnival Valor 15
Old January 15th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I sailed the Freedon, and had a corner aft cabin..We were next to, I think The Presidential Family Suite, maybe? I'm not sure if I am getting them mixed up, or not....That cabin had like a 3 balcony span, it was amazing, as was the suite itself..I also was able to tour the large suite upstairs, which may be the one you are speaking of, they are just amazingly spacious....and I felt no vibrations at all...

If you do a search, I have some pix of the cabins in the Gallery.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 21st, 2008, 12:16 AM
Passenger

With out knowing the ages of your children I'll say this if they are under 10 then family suite is great as they can't be out past 9pm unless your with them .If they are older 11-14 then get connecting rooms , if older get yours balcony theres across the hall. They will sleep late and roll in really late (or early) .They like having no windows. If they are young they can go to the camps and that will give you some time alone. All kids love the camps. Hope this helps
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:03 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to Dave Pearce Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Pearce

I had the RFS on the Explorer a few years ago with 5 adults and it was great. You have the master bedroom to yourself with a washroom and a separate bedroom for 4 people and the cough for 2. The best part of this was the second washroom. Depending on the ages of the kids and that involved - the choice is mainly yours. Had no problems with the staff and the view from the back of the ship is fantastic. With a suite, you get access to the Concierge Club including: (copied from the RCCL website)
A dedicated Concierge who is available to assist with anything you require
Twenty-four-hour a day use of the Concierge Club Lounge
Continental breakfast every morningâ€* and open bar & hors d'oeuvres every evening available in the Concierge Club Lounge
Assistance with reservations for Portofino Italian restaurant & Chops Grille Steakhouse
Assistance with Explorations! Bookings
Assistance booking appointments for Salon or Spa treatments
Priority tickets for the ice skating show
Assistance with the arrangement of private parties
Personalized Discover Shopping advice
DVDs and CDs available to borrow during the Concierge's hours
Pre-ordering of your dinner wine
Business services (faxing, copying, etc.)

Just remember its another people to tip plus the additional extra "tip" amount to your room steward as your now in a suite.

For the additional cost - it was well worth it for us!

Ruby Princess - Nov 11-18, 2012
Monarch Of the Seas - Oct 18-22, 2010
Radiance Of the Seas - Oct 14-19, 2009
Sovereign Of the Seas - Sept 26-29, 2008
Explorer Of the Seas - May 15-22, 2005
Voyager Of the Seas - May 19-26, 2002