CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   How long a cruise is too long? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/342722-how-long-cruise-too-long.html)

blueliner November 22nd, 2007 01:13 PM

How long a cruise is too long?

Having recently returned from a 9-night repo cruise on the Vision OTS as well as a short pre-cruise stay in Vancouver, my wife and I have decided to limit our cruises from here on to 7-nights or less. While we truly love being onboard a cruise ship, I just think more than 7 days can get to be too long onboard. Around days 7 or 8 we both were really starting to look forward to returning home.

Has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps it's different for retired people or those without pressing matters at home, cruises longer than the standard 7 nights would be ok. However, we were looking at a 10 night Hawaii cruise or a long European cruise, but instead we have decided to go do just a 7 night Southern Caribbean cruise next fall. I honestly don't know if I could do a back to back 14 nighter or a long Hawaii cruise, honestly, I can only lay around the pool for so long!

Any one else have thoughts on this?

Irish Shark November 22nd, 2007 01:40 PM

Our fist cruise was 7 days and have not taken a shorter one since. We went on a 14 day Hawaii cruise and a 17 day Med/trans Atlantic cruise. Everything after that has been at least 12 days.

I don't think that I can go back to a 7 day cruise.

Roland November 22nd, 2007 02:01 PM

Re: How long a cruise is too long?

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueliner

I think seventy nights is the limit for me :?:

Trip November 22nd, 2007 08:51 PM

I know many chatters, who have cruised for wks at a time...most we have cruised, was an 8 dayer..and I loved having thet EXTRA day, but for us as well..we enjoy the 7 day, with a precruise stay in Florida..

I think by day 30, I would be looking for an escape route;):) day 57, they may be shouting, man overboard!!!

skymaster November 23rd, 2007 09:05 AM

I like about 14 or 15 days, then a week or so at home to make sure everything is O.K., then I'm ready for another 14 or 15 days. As you said, if I didn't have so much going on at home, I could just about stay aboard.

Ken
"SkyMaster"

Robbie H November 23rd, 2007 09:46 AM

We used to think we would actually murder each other on a 2 week voyage...Now 12-15 days is the target. Lifestyle (no kids and Civil Service) made it pretty easy but I don't think it's an easy thread to answer with a broadbrush. So many factors to be considered. I will say we run into alot of the same folks on these longer trips (love that Concierge lounge!).

erikhag November 23rd, 2007 01:00 PM

Less than 10 nights=too short cruise!

blueliner November 23rd, 2007 02:41 PM

I know that in a perfect world, with no other factors involved, we could all practically live on a cruise ship. However, in reality, we all have real lives, family, hobbies, our homes, our businesses and other things. My point is, in reality (not the cruise only world we create in our minds) how long can you stay away from your real lives before you really start to miss it?

For me, I don't like to be away for too long. I love to travel and cruise, but for me, more trips of slightly shorter duration is for me. After a week, it's tough being away from my own bed, my own home with plasma TV :D , my airplane, my pets, my sports and other hobbies I love. As much as I love to cruise, it is not home. So realistically, how long can you cruise before you miss your real life and say "Let's book our next cruise and go home"?

Rev22:17 November 23rd, 2007 06:37 PM

blueliner,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
I know that in a perfect world, with no other factors involved, we could all practically live on a cruise ship. However, in reality, we all have real lives, family, hobbies, our homes, our businesses and other things. My point is, in reality (not the cruise only world we create in our minds) how long can you stay away from your real lives before you really start to miss it?

For me, I don't like to be away for too long. I love to travel and cruise, but for me, more trips of slightly shorter duration is for me. After a week, it's tough being away from my own bed, my own home with plasma TV :D , my airplane, my pets, my sports and other hobbies I love. As much as I love to cruise, it is not home. So realistically, how long can you cruise before you miss your real life and say "Let's book our next cruise and go home"?

I have yet to find a cruise that was too long. I generally try to book cruises that are at least 10 nights, and longer is always preferable. My most recent (No. 24) was scheduled to be 14 nights aboard ship with a three-night postcruise in Rome. Unfortunately, an airline mix-up replaced the first two nights with a night in New York and a night on Mykonos before embarkation, shortening the actual cruise to 12 nights. :-(

But YMMV.

Another consideration, though, is always that of where in the world you are going. It really is not cost-effective to fly to Europe for only a week, for example. In fact, you might spend more on air fare than on the cruise if you do that!

Norm.

Lou November 23rd, 2007 06:49 PM

Guess I'm with the majority on this post, I love the longer
cruises. 10 and 11 nights so far have been our favorites. It's so
fun...thinking on that 7th day..yippee...4 more days onboard.

And we're not retired...both working full time.

And yes, we almost always do a precruise stay.

gaileeh November 23rd, 2007 07:21 PM

FIrst cruise 4 days, WAY to short. Next was 7 days and I didn't want to leave the ship at debarkation... Our last cruise was 14 days. Before we left I thought that this was ideal. About 10 days into the cruise I was looking forward to going home. I think 10-days would be perfect.

Sassy2005 November 24th, 2007 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueliner
Having recently returned from a 9-night repo cruise on the Vision OTS as well as a short pre-cruise stay in Vancouver, my wife and I have decided to limit our cruises from here on to 7-nights or less. While we truly love being onboard a cruise ship, I just think more than 7 days can get to be too long onboard. Around days 7 or 8 we both were really starting to look forward to returning home.

Has anyone else experienced this? Perhaps it's different for retired people or those without pressing matters at home, cruises longer than the standard 7 nights would be ok. However, we were looking at a 10 night Hawaii cruise or a long European cruise, but instead we have decided to go do just a 7 night Southern Caribbean cruise next fall. I honestly don't know if I could do a back to back 14 nighter or a long Hawaii cruise, honestly, I can only lay around the pool for so long!

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but how did you like the Vision of the Seas? My husband and I are cruising on VoS either in January or June to the Mexican Riviera.

blueliner November 25th, 2007 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy2005
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but how did you like the Vision of the Seas? My husband and I are cruising on VoS either in January or June to the Mexican Riviera.

You'll have a great time! I loved cruising the Mexican Riviera and the Vision OTS is just the ship to do it. The 3 ports, Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta are very different and all have great shore activities to offer. I suggest a city tour of Mazatlan, this city has a lot of great scenery and history to it. Cabo is great to party in, go shopping, swim with the dolphins or take a boat ride out to the arch and hang out at one of the beaches. PV has great beaches, as well as being next to the mountains with some great zip line tours.

The Vision OTS is truly a majestic and beautiful ship. You'll find lots to do and keep busy on the sea days, and lots of places to hide and do nothing as well. Enjoy your cruise!

IBCRUZIN' November 27th, 2007 10:29 PM

I think 8 days is my limit. After a while I get tired of the food. It all starts to taste the same and I miss my own cooking. On my last cruise, when I got home, I cooked myself the most unhealthy but delicious home cooked meal ever. (Fried Pork Chops, Roasted Corn and Mac & Cheese - yummy) I don't usually eat any of those items but I need a "comfort meal" after eating 7 days of cruise food.

However, after a few days at home, I want to be back on the ship so I think in a perfect world, I would like to take a 8 day cruise every month.

DougR. November 28th, 2007 06:39 AM

Please forward funds to me so I can thoroughly research this topic LOL . So far we have only cruised for 7 days max, but I am certain I would be good for two weeks at least.

san4u2 November 28th, 2007 10:48 AM

Loved 10 days and looking forward to 14 days, not sure but I agree with Roland maybe around seventy or so days. 8)

thecruisequeen November 28th, 2007 10:58 AM

10 days tops would be fine with me no more them 10. :roll: :wink:

longbeachlarry November 28th, 2007 03:24 PM

7-night has been the typical length we've taken so far. A little too short for our liking...just as you're getting fully relaxed you have to worry about packing. We had one 8-nighter and that extra day really felt like a gift. Friends have been on 9-nighter and was told it's even better. I guess the true test will be in October when we take the 14-night Panama Canal repositioning.

mom/cindy November 28th, 2007 07:52 PM

I think it depends on where you are going and what you like to do. For instance, we did a 7 night Caribbean cruise and I couldn't imagine being on the ship any longer. Not that we didn't have a great time because we did but for me I can only take so much down time laying in the sun and relaxing. July of this past year we did a 11 night Mediterrean cruise and it was perfect. I didn't feel it was too long at all because we had just the right amount of relaxing and alot of sightseeing.

thecruisequeen November 29th, 2007 07:39 AM

More then 10 days these guys would really miss me and be sad!! :cry: :oops: :-? :x

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery2/.../thumb5875.jpg

Manuel December 1st, 2007 04:21 PM

Our first three cruises were 7 days, after that we did two 10 day cruises followed by two 11 day cruises, we enjoyed them all. However our last cruise was only 7 days and it seemed too short.
Manuel

Idaho Spuds December 10th, 2007 01:59 AM

Our shortest was 6 days (Caribbean, including Key West) and the longest was 21 days (Panama Canal-New York to San Francisco), with most being 7 days. (we've cruised about 25 times). 6 days is too short and 21 was a bit too long. Right now we prefer 7 as we have been sailing Mexico or the Caribbean. But if you go 'all the way' to Europe (from the States), I think the 12-14 day cruises are best. The crossings (we sailed Europe then from Iceland to New York among other crossings) are certainly worth the trip, but those 5 days at sea are long, in those waters.

cruzzz1000 December 23rd, 2007 06:33 PM

On a cruise, there is something for everyone, however, too much of a good thing might be TOO MUCH.

My wife and I like taking cruises very much but we don't ever just lie around.

We do a lot of dancing (every night), we play bridge (cards), we go to the gym nearly every day, we walk the promenade deck when the weather permits, we take classes, and we also take advantage of the shows, the games, dressing up, etc. We also visit whatever ports of call and try to do as many things as possible within financial constraints, sometimes even taking larger plunges for very unuasual opportunities.

We have not found a limit in terms of days, but our longest cruise has been 15 days.

Each of us is different. I cannot just lie on a beach in the sun, even for an hour. I either read a book,sleep, or I must walk, play frisbee, etc

Just ENJOY!

elf December 24th, 2007 09:41 PM

Hello fellowcruisers,

We started out with a 7-night cruise and found that it wasn't long enough, so we increased the cruises and went on a 11-day cruise. That was okay, but we decided to do a 12-night cruise. I personally found that too long. It probably didn't help that I got sick on the last two days on the ship either.

We were home for a whole week and my husband was ready for another cruise! I was not!

We are now scheduled for a cruise in March 2008 which I find too soon personally as we just completed a cruise in November.

I think an 11-night cruise for me is just right.

elf

Big Red Boat
Carnival Jubilee 2004
Carnival Valour 2005
RCCL Empress of the Seas 2006
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 2007
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2009

Inis46 December 26th, 2007 11:14 PM

Whenever I'm paying a dog sitter to come by the house 3 visits a day at $15 a visit, then 7 days is about all I'll stand for..... :cry:

AR December 27th, 2007 06:44 AM

Retired, no kids at home, no pets.

Seven days generally isn't worth the trip to and from the ship, and we've felt that way since long before we retired, although we have done an occasional seven day for specific purposes (getting together with old friends, etc.).

We average between 12 and 16 days.

Norm is right, though: if your horizon is limited to the Caribbean and Mexico, seven days can make some sense for some people. If you ever branch out to overseas itineraries you'll be forced into longer voyages, and you'll probably discover that you're not "ready to go home" after a week, because the places you visit are far more varied, exciting and interesting.

thecruisequeen December 27th, 2007 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inis46
Whenever I'm paying a dog sitter to come by the house 3 visits a day at $15 a visit, then 7 days is about all I'll stand for..... :cry:

Yep that is about the going rate for a petsitter! I am one! :D

We did a vegas/hawaii two week trip one year and after the 10th day I'm ready to go back home! :-? :-P

Although once we are retired and the kids are out of the house it might be different. :D :D :D :D

Dave the Wave December 27th, 2007 10:08 AM

I start running out of beer money and clean underwear by the 7th day. Have done a couple of 7's (ideal), many 5's (good length and cost effective since kids are not paying), some 4's (good for secondary cruise of the year) and some 3's (too short!). I look at the total cruising days and over the last several years have cruised 10-11 days a year. A 7 and a 4, or a couple 5's e.g.

Roland December 27th, 2007 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I start running out of beer money and clean underwear by the 7th day. Have done a couple of 7's (ideal), many 5's (good length and cost effective since kids are not paying), some 4's (good for secondary cruise of the year) and some 3's (too short!). I look at the total cruising days and over the last several years have cruised 10-11 days a year. A 7 and a 4, or a couple 5's e.g.

You can have your underwear cleaned onboard my friend, but after 70 days you may need new ones :roll:

Dave the Wave December 27th, 2007 04:26 PM

I was really only kidding about running out of underwear. I don't usually wear them anyway. Except on formal night. :shock: