CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   What to pack for kids?? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/343113-what-pack-kids.html)

DreadLockCruiser December 4th, 2007 03:10 PM

What to pack for kids??
 
I posted this on the Carnival board also, but i wanted other opinions/ideas...
I have four children, ages 5,7,12 & 14. Generally when I cruise alone, I pack very VERY heavy for myself. I always bring home unworn clothes. So I don't really know what is "normal". I am thinking the kids will need about 2-3 outfit per day, but that seems like alot for a 7 night cruise. The reason I think they need 2-3 is because i am sure we will dress in the morning, then again after excursions, pool or whatever, then again for dinner. Does that seem like a little much??

What do you pack for your kids??

PS, my 14 year old daughter is trying to take everything in her whole closet..!

thecruisequeen December 4th, 2007 04:09 PM

Hey dreadlockcruiser,

I used to pack heavy after the cruise pull out clothes from the suitcase that was not even worn. I do not do that anymore. I pack light now. Although I do have 2 boys I think packing for a preteen or teen girl would be alittle different. This is what each boy packs for a 7 nite cruise -
formal wear
1 pair dress pants
2 dress shirt
1 tie

casual
6 shirts - tshirts etc
6 shorts

pj's socks and undies

3 swimsuits
dress shoes
flip flops

and sneakers, shorts and shirt that is worn to the airport

Plus I always buy them a tshirt on the ship.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Debbyde December 4th, 2007 04:25 PM

I can see you have been on many more cruises then I have so I'll try to help but will probabaly borrow your thread and ask some suggestions too. I have 2 teenage boys-I know it can be a bit easier for boys then girls. Boys-I can get the to re-wear shorts- I'm pretty sure it might be tough with girls!! :D

One reason when we go as a family-we do not do formal nights. First off-my boys will no way wear a suit!! LOL One pair of dockers and a different shirt to change it up is the best I can get out of them coming as close to smart casual as I can. Packing formal for a family of 4 could be alot of luggage including formal wear I'm thinking.

We also share one room so my boys know space is limited. So-I guess it depends on boys or girls and how many rooms. The seasoned Mom cruisers can probably help both of us here!!

Although-this time I saved my pennies and got a Grande suite. So, Moms-will I have enough space for us all?

Debbyde December 4th, 2007 04:52 PM

I see cruise queen was posting while I was I guess.
I am humbled in your presence getting boys to wear dress pants shirts and TIES!!! :wink:

Rick December 4th, 2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Hey dreadlockcruiser,

I used to pack heavy after the cruise pull out clothes from the suitcase that was not even worn. I do not do that anymore. I pack light now. Although I do have 2 boys I think packing for a preteen or teen girl would be alittle different. This is what each boy packs for a 7 nite cruise -
formal wear
1 pair dress pants
2 dress shirt
1 tie

casual
6 shirts - tshirts etc
6 shorts

pj's socks and undies

3 swimsuits
dress shoes
flip flops

and sneakers, shorts and shirt that is worn to the airport

Plus I always buy them a tshirt on the ship.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

WOW! you are good! :arrow: me bowing to the Cruisequeen :D
Ever in the USMC? :wink:

Rev22:17 December 4th, 2007 06:43 PM

Re: What to pack for kids??
 
DreadLockCruiser,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
I posted this on the Carnival board also, but i wanted other opinions/ideas...
I have four children, ages 5,7,12 & 14. Generally when I cruise alone, I pack very VERY heavy for myself. I always bring home unworn clothes. So I don't really know what is "normal". I am thinking the kids will need about 2-3 outfit per day, but that seems like alot for a 7 night cruise. The reason I think they need 2-3 is because i am sure we will dress in the morning, then again after excursions, pool or whatever, then again for dinner. Does that seem like a little much??

What do you pack for your kids??

PS, my 14 year old daughter is trying to take everything in her whole closet..!

Yes, that's way excessive. The best strategy is to shower and dress for dinner. The tops that you wear to dinner on "casual" evenings are quite adequate for the next day's activities, though you probably will want to trade pants or skirts for shorts if you are in the Caribbean or other warm destinations.

For boys, the following should suffice for a seven night cruise with two (2) "formal" evenings and five (5) "casual" evenings.

Wear to ship:

* Polo Shirt
* Undershorts
* Slacks
* Belt
* Socks
* Dress Shoes

Pack:

* 8 Polo Shirts
* 8 Pairs Undershorts
* 2 Pairs Slacks
* 4 Pairs Shorts
* 8 Pairs Socks
* 2 Swimsuits
* 1 Island Print Shirt
* 1 Pair Sneakers or Deck Shoes
* 1 Pair Flip-Flops
* 1 Pair Water Shoes (Surfwalkers (R) or Similar)
* Tuxedo or Dark Business Suit
* 2 Formal Dress Shirts (for Wear with Tuxedo) or Standard Dress Shirts (for wear with Business Suit)
* 2 Bow Ties with Matching Vests or Cummerbunds (for Wear Tuxedo) or Four-in-Hand Ties (for wear with Business Suit)
* Cuff Links, Studs, Tie Bars, etc., as Required for Dress Clothes

For girls, the following should suffice for a seven night cruise with two 2 "formal" evenings and five (5) "casual" evenings.

Wear to ship:

* Bra Top or Leotard
* Panties
* Slacks or Skirt
* Belt, if Required
* Hose, if Desired
* Dress Shoes

Pack:

* 8 Bra Tops or Leotards
* 8 Pairs Panties
* 2 Skirts or Pairs of Slacks
* 4 Pairs Shorts
* 8 Pairs Hose, if Desired
* 2 Swimsuits
* 1 Island Print Dress
* 1 Pair Sneakers or Deck Shoes
* 1 Pair Flip-Flops
* 1 Pair Water Shoes (Surfwalkers (R) or Similar)
* Formal Dress
* 2 Sets Jewelry & Accessories for Wear with Formal Dress
* 2 Cocktail Dresses, if Desired

If your cruise has "informal" or "semiformal" evenings, you'll need to add the appropriate items for those evenings to the list. Note that this list is only clothing, so you'll need to add the other items such as toiletries and items for activities en route appropriate to their ages. See the "Packing Made Simple" thread on the "Cruise Dress and Packing" board for a more complete list.

Note that these lists include one extra change of casualwear for emergency use. If a spill or other mishap forces an extra change of clothes, you can always send a change of clothes to the ship's laundry.

Norm.

LisaK December 5th, 2007 10:33 AM

ok you are definately a cruise overpacker! lol. Here are my recommendations - one mom to another for a 7 day cruise.
The boys will have no problem wearing shorts more than once. - pack 3 pairs of shorts, pack t-shirts for each day, same thing goes for casual pants- 3 pair is more than enough, just pack a clean shirt for each casual night. Formal night - suit or suit separates, 1 dress shirt - 2 ties, dress shoes, 2 pair bathing trunks, underwear/socks, sneakers, water sandals, 1 pr casual shoes.
There really is no need to change clothes 3 times a day. In the morning, plan on wearing what you put on for the entire day until its time to get ready for dinner. For the daytime at sea that usually means swimtrunks and a t-shirt for the boys, shorts and a t-shirt over the swimsuit for the girls. For port days -depending upon what you are doing- shorts and t-shirt, if you are going to the beach, again throw a pair of short and at-shirt over your swimsuit.

DreadLockCruiser December 5th, 2007 04:38 PM

Thanks!

Dave the Wave December 8th, 2007 10:24 AM

I have been guilty of overpacking myself. But all of the above are excessive especially Norm's list. I also have two boys. Norm says 2 swimsuits for a 7 night cruise. We pack 7 each. One for each day. This is daily wear. (no offense)

We arrive to the ship in swimsuits, flip flops and tshirts. This is daily wear regardless of on or off ship The eliminates the need for underwear.

We dress for dinner. They can wear the same pants two or three times with different shirts. I do bring a couple suits. One pair of shoes for each is plenty in addition to the flip flops.

Now there is one area where I do sometimes overpack....

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/g...3440/63700.jpg

Debbyde December 8th, 2007 04:32 PM

OMG Love the Pic!!! LOL

thecruisequeen December 8th, 2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I have been guilty of overpacking myself. But all of the above are excessive especially Norm's list. I also have two boys. Norm says 2 swimsuits for a 7 night cruise. We pack 7 each. One for each day. This is daily wear. (no offense)

We arrive to the ship in swimsuits, flip flops and tshirts. This is daily wear regardless of on or off ship The eliminates the need for underwear.

We dress for dinner. They can wear the same pants two or three times with different shirts. I do bring a couple suits. One pair of shoes for each is plenty in addition to the flip flops.

Now there is one area where I do sometimes overpack....

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/g...3440/63700.jpg

Yep DTW knows how to pack! :D :shock:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1