Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Fuel Surcharge

Looking for e mail address to RCCL to complain about surcharge, Anyone have any address that they could pass on to me? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Passenger

Default CEO OF RCCL

HE PROBABLY WON'T ANSWER BUT YOU CAN TRY

Rfain@rccl.com

ALSO IF CROWN AND ANCHOR MEMBER GO ON THEIR WEB PAGE FOR THE ADDRESS. CC BOTH .

GOOD LUCK

ps YOU MAY WANT TO READ

http://www.elliott.org/blog/we-defin...yal-caribbean/
Old December 7th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: CEO OF RCCL

Quote:
Originally Posted by moynahan123
HE PROBABLY WON'T ANSWER BUT YOU CAN TRY
Rfain@rccl
Frankly, Richard is very good at answering. However, it very much depends on what you are writing
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:23 AM
First Mate

I know of one person out of the, must be hundreds by now, folks who have emailed him. It was like the day after the announcement -- one word, "ditto." Even knowing what was written on that email -- it wasn't mine -- the response really can't be deciphered with any accuracy.

They are now imposing the surcharge on their European customers, but only prospectively -- talk about spitting on your base!
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Perhaps you should send a letter to RCCL EVP & CFO instead
Old December 9th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

while you are at it, send a few letter to the oil companies about the gas prices.

$5 a day is nothing compared to what you pay to fill your car up. We're paying $3.50 and up....for regular here in Connecticut!

Sorry, I can't see complaining to the cruise lines or the airlines over a $35 charge for a single 7 day cruise when it costs me over $40 every 2 weeks to fill my car up.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old December 10th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

No need to Lash out at me. Although that seems to be common behavior on these boards. My complaint is that I should have had the opportunity to pay the balance in full prior to being charged the fuel surcharge. A weeks notice would have satisfied me. My money is just sitting there anyway. If I had the choice I would have paid it to avoid the charge.
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Passenger

Default principal of the whole issue

it a comes down to how royal carribean imposed this . I have an ncl booked in may they did not charged me .

i booked on boad a cruise on nov 14 jewel of the seas the language in contract from ta is very confusing that is the whole issure. her .

Please be advised that Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises has implemented a $5/per day per person fuel surcharge on all new bookings made after November 15, 2007. This fuel surcharge is applicable to all sailings from February 1, 2008 onward. This surcharge will appear on your invoice as a separate line item and will be added automatically to the price of your cruise. Full payment (including this surcharge) is due by the time of final payment.
Old December 11th, 2007, 07:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
while you are at it, send a few letter to the oil companies about the gas prices.

$5 a day is nothing compared to what you pay to fill your car up. We're paying $3.50 and up....for regular here in Connecticut!

Sorry, I can't see complaining to the cruise lines or the airlines over a $35 charge for a single 7 day cruise when it costs me over $40 every 2 weeks to fill my car up.
Why would anyone need to send a letter to the oil companies? Are they rewriting contracts, sua sponte? What do gas prices have to do with anything?

We live in a nation of laws, whether you like it or not. As a part of the rule of law, we are expected to uphold the contracts we make, ALL of us, including RCI. You may not wish to require an entity with whom you have contracted to live up to the deal, but how dare you criticize anyone who chooses to advocate for law enforcement.

Should someone mug you, you do not have to call the police but the reponsible thing would be to do so. By enforcing the law, others are protected in the future.
Old December 11th, 2007, 08:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: principal of the whole issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by moynahan123
it a comes down to how royal carribean imposed this . I have an ncl booked in may they did not charged me .

i booked on boad a cruise on nov 14 jewel of the seas the language in contract from ta is very confusing that is the whole issure. her .

Please be advised that Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises has implemented a $5/per day per person fuel surcharge on all new bookings made after November 15, 2007. This fuel surcharge is applicable to all sailings from February 1, 2008 onward. This surcharge will appear on your invoice as a separate line item and will be added automatically to the price of your cruise. Full payment (including this surcharge) is due by the time of final payment.
A little confused here. You said you booked on board, and the loyalty ambassador gave you this language? If the loyalty ambassador, who represents the line, gave you this, you have a pretty good argument for having them waive your surcharge. The actual language they are foisting is on ALL bookings not paid in full prior to November 16th -- not new bookings. Pretty interesting!
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

jaxon,
RCI offered to allow cancelations without penalties, if you can't afford the $35 stop whining and cancel your cruise.
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Beginner

crownandanchor@rccl.com

I would also write a letter to the President of Royal Caribbean as I did.

The following is the address and the text of the letter I wrote. Hope it helps.

Royal Caribbean International
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132-2096
Attention: Adam Goldstein, President
Re: Confirmation Nos. 5395675, 5404930, and 5388289 -3/28/2008 Sailing – Explorer of the Sea
Dear Mr. Goldstein,
On 12/6/07 we received a notice informing us of an increase in the price our cruise, on March 28th 2008, for which we have purchased seven tickets. At no location in our cruise contract do we see any provision in your contract which permits RCCL to unilaterally increase the price of a cruise already under contract.
Be advised that RCCL is in breach of contract pertaining to the request for additional funds. This breach is an intentional violation of our contract, as well as the covenant of good faith and fair dealing inherent in all contracts entered into the State of Florida. We further note that public communications made in SEC filings state that RCCL has hedged its fuel expenses and will not have any additional cost for fuel other than as already determined by the company. Thus, the request for a ‘fuel surcharge’ seems to be a false statement being made to your customers. RCCL is essentially obtaining money under false pretenses, which is both a tort, a crime, and unfair business practice. It may also violate the terms of a 1997 consent decree entered into by RCCL and the State of Florida.
In assessing this fuel surcharge, it is our contention that Royal Caribbean has in no way substantiated the costs which justify this charge. You have assessed passengers across the board for all cruises departing on or after 2/1/2008 regardless of the market prices of oil which could well, and most probably be more favorable, thereby resulting in a windfall .
Anticipating the market for raw materials and costs is inherent in the business process and is the responsibility of the provider of a product or service. RCCL has a vested interest in responsibly estimating the market as it pertains to your costs. In light of the geopolitical atmosphere and the current state of world economics you should have reasonably anticipated the drastically rising cost of fuel, a possibility that was well publicized by authoritative market analysts. You had an obligation to at least forewarn their passengers prior to accepting their reservations, of the possibility of a fuel surcharge. Your failure to adequately address and plan a key aspect of your business, should not fall on the shoulders of their passengers in the form of a retroactive surcharge. This is a business mistake and its consequences should detract from your bottom line, not ours.
We are further dismayed that your notice of a fuel surcharge, which was sent only by e-mail, contained a stipulation that passengers who paid their cruises in full by 16 November 2007 would not be charged the fuel surcharge. This notice was made to us on 6 December 2007. As far as we are concerned this offering constitutes an attempt to make it appear as if customers were actually given an option by which they could avoid the surcharge. In fact they were notified of this option after the due date, thereby nullifying this option.
As Diamond members of your Crown and Anchor Society, we are dismayed at how RCCL sees us merely as a source of additional revenue instead of as a valued customer.
We hereby demand arbitration of that demand under the provisions set forth in your agreement of this issue. This demand is made on behalf of all RCCL customers to whom the demand was sent. We will not back down from this demand simply because you may decide to ‘waive this fee as an accommodation for a loyal customer.? Be advised that if you also involuntarily cancel our cruise that there shall be consequential damages and other similar fees and charges that we will incur as the result of your actions which we will seek to collect.
Further, you should be aware of our commitment to pursue this matter with the Attorneys General of Florida, New York (where the booking was made), and New Jersey (the port of departure, as well as the Federal Maritime
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:42 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydoctorbob
crownandanchor@rccl.com

1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132-2096
Re: Confirmation Nos. 5395675, 5404930, and 5388289 -3/28/2008 Sailing – Explorer of the Sea
Dear Mr. Goldstein,
On 12/6/07 we received a notice informing us of an increase in the price our cruise, on March 28th 2008, for which we have purchased seven tickets. At no location in our cruise contract do we see any provision in your contract which permits RCCL to unilaterally increase the price of a cruise already under contract.
Be advised that RCCL is in breach of contract pertaining to the request for additional funds. This breach is an intentional violation of our contract, as well as the covenant of good faith and fair dealing inherent in all contracts entered into the State of Florida. We further note that public communications made in SEC filings state that RCCL has hedged its fuel expenses and will not have any additional cost for fuel other than as already determined by the company. Thus, the request for a ‘fuel surcharge’ seems to be a false statement being made to your customers. RCCL is essentially obtaining money under false pretenses, which is both a tort, a crime, and unfair business practice. It may also violate the terms of a 1997 consent decree entered into by RCCL and the State of Florida.
In assessing this fuel surcharge, it is our contention that Royal Caribbean has in no way substantiated the costs which justify this charge. You have assessed passengers across the board for all cruises departing on or after 2/1/2008 regardless of the market prices of oil which could well, and most probably be more favorable, thereby resulting in a windfall .
Anticipating the market for raw materials and costs is inherent in the business process and is the responsibility of the provider of a product or service. RCCL has a vested interest in responsibly estimating the market as it pertains to your costs. In light of the geopolitical atmosphere and the current state of world economics you should have reasonably anticipated the drastically rising cost of fuel, a possibility that was well publicized by authoritative market analysts. You had an obligation to at least forewarn their passengers prior to accepting their reservations, of the possibility of a fuel surcharge. Your failure to adequately address and plan a key aspect of your business, should not fall on the shoulders of their passengers in the form of a retroactive surcharge. This is a business mistake and its consequences should detract from your bottom line, not ours.
We are further dismayed that your notice of a fuel surcharge, which was sent only by e-mail, contained a stipulation that passengers who paid their cruises in full by 16 November 2007 would not be charged the fuel surcharge. This notice was made to us on 6 December 2007. As far as we are concerned this offering constitutes an attempt to make it appear as if customers were actually given an option by which they could avoid the surcharge. In fact they were notified of this option after the due date, thereby nullifying this option.
As Diamond members of your Crown and Anchor Society, we are dismayed at how RCCL sees us merely as a source of additional revenue instead of as a valued customer.
We hereby demand arbitration of that demand under the provisions set forth in your agreement of this issue. This demand is made on behalf of all RCCL customers to whom the demand was sent. We will not back down from this demand simply because you may decide to ‘waive this fee as an accommodation for a loyal customer.? Be advised that if you also involuntarily cancel our cruise that there shall be consequential damages and other similar fees and charges that we will incur as the result of your actions which we will seek to collect.
Further, you should be aware of our commitment to pursue this matter with the Attorneys General of Florida, New York (where the booking was made), and New Jersey (the port of departure, as well as the Federal Maritime
You go Boooooooyh.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:24 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke
jaxon,
RCI offered to allow cancelations without penalties, if you can't afford the $35 stop whining and cancel your cruise.
A fool and their money is soon parted. I didn't accumulate my wealth by being such a fool. As an attorney, I can assure you that allowing a customer to cancel a contract when the contract's material elements have been changed sua sponte by the breacher, does not cure the breach.
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke
jaxon,
A fool and their money is soon parted. I didn't accumulate my wealth by being such a fool. As an attorney, I can assure you that allowing a customer to cancel a contract when the contract's material elements have been changed sua sponte by the breacher, does not cure the breach.
Cruising attorneys and RCCL is obviously not a good combination
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydoctorbob
crownandanchor@rccl.com

1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132-2096
Dear Mr. Goldstein,
Excellent! Please keep us posted on any response. Perhaps you would think about posting this on another cruise message board? I often frequent another message board on cruising and I would so like to see your letter posted there. I had been waiting for someone to contact the NJ AG as that office has a suit against RCI, and I think they would be particulalry interested. With your NJ contact, I think that makes a total of 7 state AG's besides FL that have been contacted, that we know about.
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Excellent! Please keep us posted on any response. Perhaps you would think about posting this on another cruise message board? I often frequent another message board on cruising and I would so like to see your letter posted there. I had been waiting for someone to contact the NJ AG as that office has a suit against RCI, and I think they would be particulalry interested. With your NJ contact, I think that makes a total of 7 state AG's besides FL that have been contacted, that we know about.
Dear Ms jaxon, Please be careful when promoting other message boards
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Q: There are 5 lawyers in a Suburban SUV and they are about to drive off of a cliff. What's wrong with that picture?

A: A Suburban seats 8.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Q: There are 5 lawyers in a Suburban SUV and they are about to drive off of a cliff. What's wrong with that picture?

A: A Suburban seats 8.

"Excellent! Please keep us posted on any response. Perhaps you would think about posting this on another cruise message board?"
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

A man woke up in a hospital bed and called for his doctor. He asked "Give it to me straight, doc. How long have I got?" The physician replied that he doubted that his patient would survive the night. The man then said "Call for my lawyer."
When his lawyer arrived, the man asked for his physician to stand on one side of the bed, while the lawyer stood on the other. The man then laid back and closed his eyes.

When the man remained silent for several minutes, the lawyer asked what he had in mind.

The man replied "Jesus died with a thief on either side, and I thought I'd check out the same way."

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
A man woke up in a hospital bed and called for his doctor. He asked "Give it to me straight, doc. How long have I got?" The physician replied that he doubted that his patient would survive the night. The man then said "Call for my lawyer."
When his lawyer arrived, the man asked for his physician to stand on one side of the bed, while the lawyer stood on the other. The man then laid back and closed his eyes.

When the man remained silent for several minutes, the lawyer asked what he had in mind.

The man replied "Jesus died with a thief on either side, and I thought I'd check out the same way."
DtW, I know who Jesus was, but who was the doctor
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Outstanding letter. Yes please keep us informed on the outcome. I have a cruise in April and November that both have been charged with a fuel surcharge.
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Down South, Bubba called his attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suing the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Yes, Bubba, sure is true." responded the lawyer.

"And now someone is suing the fast food restaurants for making them fat and clogging their arteries with all them burgers and fries, is that true mister lawyer?"

"Sure is Bubba. But why are you asking?"

"Cause what I want to know is can I sue Budweiser for all the ugly women I've slept with?"

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old December 27th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Three partners of a firm were attending a convention out of town. As the plane carried them to their destination, one of the partners gulped and told the second partner, "Oh my gosh, I forgot to lock the safe."
The third partner said, "There's nothing to worry about. All three of us are here!"

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old December 27th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Three partners of a firm were attending a convention out of town. As the plane carried them to their destination, one of the partners gulped and told the second partner, "Oh my gosh, I forgot to lock the safe."
The third partner said, "There's nothing to worry about. All three of us are here!"
Thank you my friend,
Now I think I know who Ms jaxon is
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:35 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Quote:

Dear Ms jaxon, Please be careful when promoting other message boards
I realize business is business. I would like permission from the poster to copy his letter, elsewhere.
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:49 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
Quote:
Thank you my friend,
Now I think I know who Ms jaxon is
Let's see -- I joined this board a year after you and I have 80 posts here. Could it be the quality of discussion? Oh, watch me, the narcissist, prance around in my swim trunks! Should I get a speedo?
Old December 28th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Now that we know that jaxon is a lawyer the whining makes sense. Must need to find a way to bill that $35 to someone.
Old December 28th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Admiral

We are here to have fun not sue people. Maybe you should get a Speedo. People in Speedos have more fun!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08