Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to drjacktravel
Default No more Midnight Gala Buffets!

Just got off the Navigator of the Seas (wonderful cruise!) and was told that beginning Jan. 1, 2008 that RCCL will no longer have their Midnight Buffets due to them being a big waste of food. Most people, they said, just show up for picture-taking and then don't stay to eat. The same fate will occur for the late night Lido Deck Party buffet. They will be having a Bar-B-Que instead of a buffet.
Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:31 AM
First Mate

Default Midnight Buffet

Can't say I will miss this as I have been one of the "picture takers." I am usually up by 6:00 am and three meals a day, especially on a cruise, is enough!

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old December 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

As much as I love looking at them, half the time I'm sleeping by that time and if not, I'm never hungry, so I can understand that decision.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:08 PM
Captain

I had a feeling they were phasing them out. If I'm not mistaken, they used to be an everynight thing on alot of ships years ago and then it turned into one night a week and now none....It's funny, the first thing that people who have never cruised ask you about is the midnight buffets. It really is an enormous amount of food and I know alot gets wasted (yes I know they throw it out to the fish or something). The line was also always very long.
Old December 19th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think it's a good cost effective move..and I have to agree, we are usually back in our cabin..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Passenger

I agree, good idea and too much waste. I'm also sure it will mean a reduction in our fare, just as fuel prices caused an increase

Bob & Donna

Grandeur 1996
Grandeur 1997
VOS 2005
MOS 2007
MOS 2008 well...in July
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Passenger

No more Midnight Gala Buffet? No loss!

Very few things on our recent Mariner cruise disappointed us, but this was one of those things! Having worked in catering, I am skilled at making a little look like a lot, and I can assure you that buffet WASN'T a huge amount of food -- and a bunch of those petite fores and cakes were pre-made things, not the creations of the Royal chefs. Instead, it was a whole bunch of "show" (the ice sculptures aren't food, and the statues of the women are something that's been re-used again and again); well, let me clarify: it wasn't a whole bunch of food considering that 3000 people were onboard.

What I disliked, however, was the way the event was scheduled. We were allowed in for 45 minutes to take pictures; my husband and I went in and enjoyed looking around and taking our shots . . . but when the 45 mintues was up, they announced that the picture taking time was over . . . okay, great -- let us eat . . . and they announced it again . . . and again, then we all got the picture: though they didn't say it outright, they wanted us to leave the dining room . . . so we all did, and the line outside was massive . . . we waited 15-20 minutes, and it was really quite late for us . . . we gave up and grabbed some sandwiches from the Cafe Promenade. We weren't alone.

I would not bother with the Midnight Gala Buffet again, so I'm glad to hear that it's being replaced with something else.
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

CornerAftpPease..I just love your name! I had one on the Freedom...best balcony I ever had!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator