Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Perks in cabins

Hello fellowcruisers,

Just a FYI.

On our last cruise in November, we noticed a change in the little extra amendities in our cabin.

Remember you received robes, showercaps, ice, small bottles of shampoo, conditioner and lotion in your room. Well no more people. I was told they have cut back on these items and are only giving these items (robes, shampoo, lotion, conditioner and shower caps) in the pricier rooms. We had a jr. suite!!

The only one item that can be ordered is the bucket of ice. You have to ask for it as they do not put this in your room automatically (trying to save on the water so my steward told us).

elf

Big Red Boat
Carnival Jubilee 2004
Carnival Valour 2005
RCCL Empress of the Seas 2006
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 2007
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2009
Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2007, 05:19 PM
First Mate

wish they would at least include a small bottle of hand sanitizer.
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Admiral

That "other" big cruise line still gives out a big basket of goodies!

Ken
"Sky"
Old December 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Familiar Face

Unfortunately, this seems to be only one of a growing list of 'perks' that have been eliminated to increase profits.
Old December 24th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Perks

Hello 71 Corvette,

I do not understand, how much do these cruiselines need in the way of profits and then we have downright greed?

elf

Big Red Boat
Carnival Jubilee 2004
Carnival Valour 2005
Old December 25th, 2007, 06:39 PM
Admiral

I don't think it is to "increase" profits but rather to maintain an acceptable level of profitability.

Fuel has skyrocketed, food is on a serious raise, and with more third world countries becoming emerging markets, the availability of well educated, foreign workers is shrinking and the ones available are looking for a bit more umpf in their employment contracts, and lastly, ships are having to get more razzle dazzle to compete in a rather crowded market.

All of the above means that wherever possible, cutbacks have and will continue to be made.

I would bet that a majority of passengers bring their own supply of toiletries and, while it is disheartening to not see these things in our bathrooms, it is not something that will necessarily impact our cruise experience much - like the food or service.

I am also pretty sure if someone calls the Purser's Desk or speaks to their room attendant, these missing items can be produced in a moment's request. They are just not being given out any more.

BTW, the other big cruiseline provides a large basket of "samples" and "trial size" items. I am pretty sure it is not costing the cruiseline anything to allow the various vendors to offer their samples to such a large market. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that other cruiseline is not being paid to allow these companies the ability to distribute their products.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old December 26th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to kristen4083

rNever been on this cuise line but I loved the othe cruiselines little extras always found it to be vey exciting part of the embarkation lol
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Perks in cabins

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
Hello fellowcruisers,

Just a FYI.

On our last cruise in November, we noticed a change in the little extra amendities in our cabin.

Remember you received robes, showercaps, ice, small bottles of shampoo, conditioner and lotion in your room. Well no more people. I was told they have cut back on these items and are only giving these items (robes, shampoo, lotion, conditioner and shower caps) in the pricier rooms. We had a jr. suite!!

The only one item that can be ordered is the bucket of ice. You have to ask for it as they do not put this in your room automatically (trying to save on the water so my steward told us).

elf
So what your saying . is that we need to bring our own shampoo , soap and other basic items? If we carry from home this sure bites into our weight allowance on the flight. Or I'm miss reading what you said.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old December 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Passenger

As far as I'm concerned I can't see where that's a problem. I always bring my own shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion. I get travel sizes which don't take up any space. I never cared for the robes since I prefer my own. When they start charging for all meals is when I start complaining and stop cruising.

tysaunt AKA Gayle
Old December 26th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello Fellowcruisers,

Sorry Doopydozer, you misread my mail. There is shampoo and conditioner in the shower, but NO showercaps, bathrobes or ice.

I usually bring my own shampoo and soap as I find the shampoo already supplied does not clean my hair because of the addition of the conditioner. My skin is also sensitive to soap, so I have to bring my Ivory.

Yes, the meals on Grandeur were wonderful (we opt for the Windgrammer). I thought these meals were better than on Brilliance of the Seas cruise in April 2007.

elf

Big Red Boat
Carnival Valour 2004
Carnival Jubilee 2005
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Perks in cabins

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer
So what your saying . is that we need to bring our own shampoo , soap and other basic items? If we carry from home this sure bites into our weight allowance on the flight. Or I'm miss reading what you said.

Both Walmart and Target discount stores have an extensive collection of trial size toiletry items. Bath & Body Works also have many of their items in 3 oz sizes. These are great because a 3 oz bottle of body lotion, two small bottles of body wash, a trial size deordorant, sunblock, hand sanitizer, mouthwash, toothpaste, and 2 three oz bottles of shampoo will last approximately a week for one person. These items take up little room in your luggage and don't weight much more than a pound or two. Also, by taking these trial sizes, you just toss the empties (or near empties) at the end of the cruise and you will have more room for your take-home liquor, souvenirs, etc.

It is a small price to pay to keep the core cruise price and food quality up to par.

I can bring shampoo and body lotion with me. I cannot do the same with prime rib.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
you misread my mail. There is shampoo and conditioner in the shower, but NO showercaps, bathrobes or ice.
I think everybody "misread" your original post. . .or maybe you "miswrote" it. In any event, the proprietors of CM made it their featured post of the day, which is why I looked at it. To read down the string and see that now you say they do supply shampoo and conditioner completely contradicts your original post, which apparently CM thinks is such exciting news.

What you seem to be saying now is that everything is the same except you don't get shower caps or robes and you have to order the ice.

Or have I misread you again?
Old December 27th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, AR - you are correct - you do not get showercaps, bathrobes or ice.

elf

Big Red Boat
Carnival Valour 2004
Carnival Jubilee 2005
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Admiral

I'm outraged, I'm astounded. This is totally unacceptable. I now have to ask for ice?!!
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2
I'm outraged, I'm astounded. This is totally unacceptable. I now have to ask for ice?!!
I too have to ask for ice and I am not astounded :o
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Admiral

While we have never run into this yet, we find it interesting and educational to learn how everyone travels. We have done the travel size, hotel samples and regular size toiletries and we prefer just bringing 1 regular size of each item. They fit nicely in a toiletry case with multiply pockets and has a detachable part that hangs in the shower to hold a shampoo and conditioner. Since we travel a day or two pre and post, this suits our needs for at least 10-12 days for 2 people. We are doing our first 15 day cruise so we will have to plan accordingly. For a weekend getaway, hotel and travel sizes are great.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 28th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf
you misread my mail. There is shampoo and conditioner in the shower, but NO showercaps, bathrobes or ice.
I think everybody "misread" your original post. . .or maybe you "miswrote" it. In any event, the proprietors of CM made it their featured post of the day, which is why I looked at it. To read down the string and see that now you say they do supply shampoo and conditioner completely contradicts your original post, which apparently CM thinks is such exciting news.

What you seem to be saying now is that everything is the same except you don't get shower caps or robes and you have to order the ice.

Or have I misread you again?
What I think Elf was trying to say is that there are no longer the little travel sized bottles of shampoo/conditioner. There is shampoo supplied in the shower in a wall mounted dispenser, just no little bottles any more.
Old December 28th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Admiral

Asked DW last night , when we were on HAL in 06 they didn't supply bath robes or trial size of shampoo etc , only the wall mounted one in the shower.
We had brought our own since we boarded without having to fly-in . We just left the unused shampoo etc in the hotel before we went to the airport.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess