Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Passenger

Default sting ray city tours

I am looking to book on my own and not through RCI. Any recommendations?? Soto Cruise or Captin Marvins or Buccanear- I would like to hear all experiences good and bad.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

We booked through RCI and had a wonderful time. But I understand the cost difference. I have heard great things about Captain Marvin and plan on use him next time we are in Grand Cayman. I'm sure whomever you use you'll have a great time. Enjoy the experience, its awesome!!!

Randy and Heather

Destiny '11-booked!
The Royal Cancun '10(A.I.)
Dream '10
Sun Palace Nov. '09 (A.I.)
Glory '08
Sun Palace '07(A.I.)
Enchanment of the Seas '06
Aventura Spa Palace'04 (A.I.)
Couples Negril '04 (Honeymoon, A.I.)
Big Red Boat '93
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Passenger

I booked the RCI stingray city swim and snorkel for March in GC. It is 45.00 pp. Is it really that much more expensive than through the private companies?

I like the assurance of knowing if we had boat trouble or anything we would not miss the ship, plus the fact that we will get priority tendering. Do you remember the name of the company that took you on the RCI tour? I've heard that a lot of the local tour companies also service cruise passengers who have purchased through the cruise line.

One final question about the stingrays in general. I am a little frightened of this excursion and although have read over and over it is a "must see" wonder if we are making a mistake. Being from the Midwest in the U.S., we are not experts on swimming in the ocean, although we have been to numerous beaches. I have read a couple of reviews that said the stingrays were "creepy". I am afraid to get in ocean water over my knees, my husband is worse, so that leaves my teenaged daughter who is the person I thought would enjoy this excursion. I know it sounds strange that I would have booked this in light of our fears, but it is so highly recommended I don't know what else to do. We have hardly even snorkeled, but would like to try it. What kind of snorkeling is involved in the stingray excursion?

I would appreciate any advice. Didn't want to start a new thread about this topic since it is discussed so often, so sorry for sort of highjacking the original post.
Old December 30th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Passenger

Default sting Ray City

Just went with Native Way in Grand Cayman. Went to Stingray City, Snorkle site and then to Rum Point where we had a wonderful lunch and some beach time.. Highly reccommend them.. 8)
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:42 PM
First Mate

My DS and DDIL just did the stingray tour thru' RCCL last Nov.
DIL is only 4'10'' and she was a little afraid of the depth of the ocean, but she did it.
They loved it !

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old January 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM
First Mate

Default Captain Marvin's

#1 Smaller groups
#2 Newe boats
#3 Minimum of two personnel in water with the group, good safety
standards
#4 Good prices
#5 Multiple pieces of equipment, should a breakdown occur anywhere, on water or land, they are in radio communcation and can make sure you are back in plenty of time.

Captain Marvin is the guy who started the whole Sting Ray City thing. He is getting older and has just placed the company up for sale. He will stay on until the sale and the transition goes through.

Also, depth of water depends on the tides. Folks that think the Sting Rays are "ichey" do so until they actually touch one or hold one or kiss one...The percetion changes immediately! Note they are NOT the type of Sting Rays that Steve Irwin had his encoutner with, difference species.