Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Passenger

Default snuba in eastern caribbean

Hi going to San Juan, St. Thomas and St Martin in March. We want to try snuba. Just wondering if anyone has done this and which is the best place to do it. Looking for the one with the nicest coral and fish. I did snorkeling a couple of years ago on my western caribbean cruise and the coral had no color. Also on St. Thomas they offer the Sea helmets has anyone done that and is it better than snuba? Thanks
Jeanne
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:21 PM
First Mate

Hi Silver,
We' ve done the snuba in St-Thomas where you have everything to see. I cannot give you info about other places. Have a nice cruise. MTL
Old December 30th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Passenger

Thank you for the information. We cant wait to go.
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:41 PM
Beginner

Default Snuba in St Thomas, helmet dive in Aruba

I've only done snuba once, enjoyed it and want to try it again. You go down about 12 feet max. Entirely different experience from snorkling! Where we were on St Thomas, there was no coral, just a nice sandy beach with some pretty fish, ideal for putting on flippers and mask. A good spot to learn about snuba. A couple of scuba divers were watching us.

Did a helmet dive once also. Great! Walked down a ladder about 20 feet, then walked around a "path" to see a sunken airplane, etc. The "path" we were on had ropes on either side attached to metal stanchions. Had about 5 scuba divers watching us in case we did something stupid, like bend over too far forwards and let the helmet fall off! All you have to remember is to keep your feet under you and don't trip over anything!

One proviso about the helmet dive--met a scuba diver afterwards who told me that it was extremely dangerous. He didn't elaborate. Maybe you had better check it out on the web. I can't see the cruise lines allowing it's passengers to do anything that might get them sued. They specifically exclude that kind of excursion, like sky diving. Some cruise lines don't even mention scuba excursions to their passengers.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Passenger

Thank you. I was also considering the helmet dive instead of the snuba but I will be bringing my children with me. Although they are 17, 18, 23 and 25 I wouldn't be comfortable if I though there could be a problem. I think I will stick with the snuba. I also snorkeled on my last cruise. I went with a friend and really enjoyed it. I thought snuba would be more fun because you can go down a little more. They also have snuba in San Juan and St Martin wonder if there is coral there.