Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default How's the snorkeling on Coco Cay?

I am taking my niece on a cruise in June for her 21st birthday. She wants to snorkel, and was looking into renting the equipment through RCL on Coco Cay. Has anyone done this, and if so, how is the snorkeling on Coco Cay?

Thanks,
Angie
Carnival Fascination - April 2004, October 2005, Dec 2006
Sovereign of the Seas - Sept. 2003, April 2005, Oct. 2005, Sept. 2006
Carnival Sensation - September 2007

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM
First Mate

Default Coco

It has been a few years but I remember it as just ok, nothing real special.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Constellation 14
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

When we were there, they take a little boat out and feed the fish. If you are snorkeling at that time, go there, you'll see tons of fish. Some others saw some rays and a turtle or two. I'd say the snorkeling is worth doing, have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the responses. My niece wants to snorkel bad, and I just want to make this a good trip for her. It's her first plane ride, first cruise. I just want to make it special. When I took her older sister on a cruise for her 21st, we did a snorkeling excursion through the ship (we were on Carnival) in Cozumel, and they took us to a small beach not too far from where we were docked, and there was absolutely nothing to see but sand and trash. I was so upset!

If any one has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Even a good place to snorkel while in Nassau.

Thanks again!

Angie
Carnival Fascination - April 2004, October 2005, Dec 2006
Sovereign of the Seas - Sept. 2003, April 2005, Oct. 2005, Sept. 2006
Carnival Sensation - September 2007

Old January 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
Passenger

I just got back from the majesty of the sea's. I didnt snorkel in CocoCay, I went snorkeling in the bahamas with Stewarts Cove http://www.stuartcove.com. It was $53 per person and well worth it! You even get to swim with sharks if you dare.

Carnival Legend 7/15/06 !!!
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:23 PM
Passenger

You could bring a small piece of bread with you snorkeling and the fish will come!!!
Old January 21st, 2008, 05:38 PM
First Mate

We had a family reunion (26 in all) and one of our ports was Cococay in the Bahamas! I'll tell you the snorkeling was great!! All of my cousins and even the adults went "snorkeling" with us. We didn't actually rent any snorkeling gear, we just had some basic swim goggles. If you swim out just a little bit near the lifeguard stands, there will be hundreds of fish around the posts. The lifeguards jetski to get all the way out there and it is like a 300 yard swim or so all the way out there but it is great. The lifeguard at the post will throw food every so often so all different kinds of fish will come. The water there is about 12-15ft deep so it is not overwhelming or anything.

The experience was great and we didn't have to pay anything for rent!! They do have stuff to rent for pretty cheap if you want the mask, tube and flipper-fins. You can also (for a few $$) go on a boat and they will take you out to certain coral parts, but if you just swim out to the life guard stand there are LOTS of fish and different species! You will also see manta rays and other bottom crawling type things. Be careful for the once in a while jelly fish. We had a group of 15 out there for a solid 2.5 hours and we only saw one baby jellyfish so you don't have to worry about anything like that! Post or PM me if you have any specific quesitons