Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Familiar Face

Default Adventure of the Seas

Hi All,

I've been thinking about booking a cruise on Adventure of the Seas lately but was reading some reviews tonight that got me a bit concerned. The ship sails out of San Juan and apparently (or should I say allegedly) the ship has a policy of selling off excess rooms very inexpensively to locals on the day of sailing. As a result, the ship has had several sailings recently where Puerto Ricans made up a majority of the passengers (apparently this has been affirmed by the captain during announcements). According to some reviews this has posed some language barriers for non-spanish speaking passengers. Also, the very low prices at which they are selling off these excess rooms ($200 pp) is attracting a very young, brash, sort of clientel that has made the crusing experience for some of these passengers much less enjoyable.

Normally I would dismiss these reviews as overreactions or oversensitivity, but in the last month or two there have been quite a few complaints about this in the reviews and it's been enough to give me serious second thoughts.

Does anyone have any first hand accounts of this? Is this a few people overreacting, or is this a real issue?
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I haven't heard any complaints about this in a long time. I wouldn't not book this ship because of that. Adventure has a great itinarary, go and enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:27 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to gfleo

I haven't been on the Adventure, but last year when I went on the Serenade OTS and the Carnival Destiny, the mayority were PR, and a lot of them really thought they were alone on the ship. I'm not telling you that I won't take a ship that leaves out of San Juan in the future, but would prefer one that leaves out of miami/fort lauderdale
Caribbean Princess
C. Destiny
N.Pearl Nov
C.Valor Sept 2008
Ruby Princess
C.Splendor
Indy
Liberty 2009
Carnival Liberty
Eurodam
Radiance
Mariner
C. Freedom
C. Triumph
Navigator (TA)
C.Dream
Solstice '10
Costa Fortuna
Summit
Norwegian Dawn
C.Glory Sept '11
Brilliance '12
Mariner (TA)
Liberty OTS
C.Breeze '13
C.Conquest
Serenade TA
C.Sunshine '14
Indy
Vision

Oasis TA
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Passenger

I'm leaving for AOS in 2 days and have done alot of research on this! Most good and a very few not so good.
Yes, because it leaves from SJ there will be many that reside in that counry leave from there but I don't think it will be a problem. No language problems at all I have heard. Actually most people from PR do speak English!
Most folks that seem to have a problem with this sailing have been on a ship that sails when they are having the PR version of our sweet 16 for girls. I won't even try to spell the word
I will report back when I return but all of my research, and trust me it is alot-has put me in the mind frame of I'm going to have a great time!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Passenger

Default I wouldn't NOT book!

We LOVED Adventure of the Seas! Course it was a few years ago .... but it was the BEST! Loved the Itinerary .... port every day!! The language, well, I guess, but to be honest we find that all around these days just about everywhere. We just enjoy ourselves and do our own thing. Hope it works ... let us know!
Old January 28th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Beginner

We were on the Adventure of the Seas October 28- November 4. This particular sailing has been written up on seme web sites as a particularily bad one. It was not a Quincineara cruise (15th birthday celebration for Latino girls) but nearly half of the 3500 passengers were residents of Puerto Rico.

I believe that many of the problems described were exaggerated however it was different from the previous 5 cruises I took out of Florida and LA.

If you are a worldly person that has no problem with announcements in other languages or experiencing other cultures then you will have no problem. The PR residents like to have a good time and are very boisterous. They also have a patriotic cheer that they will shout on occasion often egged on by the Cruise Director and even the captain on one occasion.

I'm not sure if the story about the deeply discounted last minute rates for residents is true or an urban legend as it has been denied by some PR cruisers. However most of the problems that people do experience seem to occur during the slower travel months from July to November -hurricane season. I will say that it appears that many of the PR residents on that sailing appeared to be first -time cruisers and many chose not to observe the dining room dress codes.

The ship is beautiful and the itinerary we took - Aruba, Curacao, St. Martin, St. Thomas is the best I have experienced. The weather was great and the islands have great beaches and historical sites.

We also spent extra time in San Juan before the cruise and took a tour before flying out afterwards and found the people of Puerto Rico to be very friendly.
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Passenger

The wife and I just returned home from Freedom of the Seas on Sunday. It was our 1st cruise. While onboard we booked the Southern Caribean trip out of San Juan on January 18, 2009 on Adventure OTS. We are definitely looking forward to the trip! 8)
Old January 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM
First Mate

We sailed on Adventure of the Seas out of Puerto Rico several years ago and had a great time on that ship. I loved the itinerary. We had the most interesting table-mates on that cruise which made it a lot of fun. The week prior to that cruise we had taken a 7-day on the Carnival Destiny that was also sailing from Puerto Rico. On both cruises there were a lot of residents from Puerto Rico. Everyone we met on both cruises was very nice, friendly and a lot of fun to be around. We had no problems on either cruise. We have sailed from Puerto Rico or to Puerto Rico before and have always enjoyed that port. After our 2 cruises that year, we also stayed in Puerto Rico for another 5 days. I am looking forward to taking another cruise from there sometime in the future.

Sherrie
Ecstasy 12/12/09,Conquest 4/12/09, Conquest 4/19/09,Conquest 2/09, Pride 10/08, Ecstasy 1/08, Miracle 3/08, Miracle 4/08, Miracle 5/06, Conquest 12/08, Conquest 9/07, Conquest 4/07, Conquest 8/03, Destiny 5/05, Adv of Seas 5/05, Elation 12/04, Jubilee 4/03, Sensation 6/00, Celebration 5/93, Celebration 6/92,Holiday 5/92, Tropical 3/90, NCL--Windward, Skyward, Sunward
Old January 31st, 2008, 09:48 AM
First Mate

Last Feb. we had a wonderful cruise on the AOS. We spent 3 days precruise in San Juan. Loved it!! Great ship, crew, food. Love the ports too!! Have a wonderful cruise!
RC Grandeur of the Seas Oct. 2009
Carnival Liberty March 2008
RC Adventures of the Sea Feb. 2007
Carnival Liberty March 2006
Enchantment of the Seas June 2004
Monarch of the Seas March 2003
The Big Red Boat March 1997