Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Passenger

Default Leaving on the Freedom 2/3 ... Super Bowl Sunday!

Super Bowl Sunday - What was I thinking?? Booked the cruise way last June so guess I wasn't thinking Super Bowl, that's for sure! Anyone know if you can catch any of the game onboard?? We live in Georgia now, but moved from Boston 3 years ago ... needless to say we are big Sox and Pats fans .... I remember during the World Series seeing posts about the games, but can't remember if there is any coverage on the ship or not. Anyone know? Sure looking forward to a week from Sunday tho .... it's been COLD here! Plus, we've cruised on the Voyager Classes ... really looking forward to the Freedom, sounds amazing!![/b]
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Admiral

I'm sure you will be able to watch the game on the ship.

I cruised on Freedom during world cup soccer and I was able to watch the games in one of the bars.

Being Football is alittle more popular than soccer is I'm sure you will be able to watch the game onboard.

Have fun on the Freedom! She is a beauty!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:53 AM
Admiral

I was on the Carnival Glory a couple of years ago on Super Bowl Sunday. They had 2 different parties: one in the disco and the other in a main lounge. Both had a large screen tv, hot dogs with chilli, nachos, hot wings, specials on buckets of beer and other types of finger foods set up in a buffet style service. Had a great time and met lots of fellow football fans. Bob
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Passenger

Default Super Bowl on 2/3 on the Freedom

Thanx for the replies guys! Hubby is happy! So, we'll miss the hoopla home here .... but at least be able to catch the game!! We're excited to be on the Freedom!! Any tips or experiences?
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Super Bowl on 2/3 on the Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmomom
Thanx for the replies guys! Hubby is happy! So, we'll miss the hoopla home here .... but at least be able to catch the game!! We're excited to be on the Freedom!! Any tips or experiences?
Been on Freedom twice it was my best cruise experience yet! Have you cruised before?

Enjoy your cruise!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Passenger

Default Freedom on Super Bowl Sunday

Yes, and love it. We've traveled alot and didn't think we'd like cruising ... too independent! Took a short 4 nighter with Carnival and loved it, but decided we wanted to try another line. Took Adventure out of PR for southern caribbean and it was heaven!! Loved the 'port every day'!! When we booked, the only thing available (last minute) was a Jr. Suite on deck #10, since we wanted a balcony .... so now we are SPOILED!!! We get deck #10 and a Jr. Suite now .... went on the Explorer 2 years ago. Wanted to go last year, but lots of family stuff going on so REALLY looking forward to this and especially the Freedom. When we went on the Adventure it had alot to do with the Voyager Class being so big ... and it's hard to even imagine a ship bigger than that!
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Freedom on Super Bowl Sunday

Quote:
Yes, and love it. We've traveled alot and didn't think we'd like cruising ... too independent! Took a short 4 nighter with Carnival and loved it, but decided we wanted to try another line. Took Adventure out of PR for southern caribbean and it was heaven!! Loved the 'port every day'!! When we booked, the only thing available (last minute) was a Jr. Suite on deck #10, since we wanted a balcony .... so now we are SPOILED!!! We get deck #10 and a Jr. Suite now .... went on the Explorer 2 years ago. Wanted to go last year, but lots of family stuff going on so REALLY looking forward to this and especially the Freedom. When we went on the Adventure it had alot to do with the Voyager Class being so big ... and it's hard to even imagine a ship bigger than that!
Oh ok you are not new to cruising. Freedom bigger then Adventure/Explorer but same type of layout. So you already know you are in for a great vacation!

I have not been on the explorer yet but considering it since it is 30 mins. drive away. What itinerary did you do with the explorer?

And boy I know what you mean when you say "family stuff".

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Passenger

Default Super Bowl Sunday on Freedom

Yes, we know it's gonna be great! Didn't like the Explorer as well as the Adventure, but to be totally honest, think it was just one of those 'first experience is the best' type thing. Okay, the Explorer was a tad older, but still just as nice. We didn't have the port every day thing .... but on a ship that large, suppose you don't need it! There is certainly plenty to do. Think there was one sea day .... it was eastern caribbean .... St. Thomas, St. Marteen, Puerto Rico & Nassau ... all of which we'd been to. The first time we were in St. Thomas we went over to St. John, awesome beach!! Rented a car in St. Marteen both times and went to both the French & Dutch side ... loved it. Nassau was sorta special tho since we had been there on our honeymoon 36 years earlier! Went to the same hotel to have a drink and got a 'tennis bracelet' for our anniversary!! Pretty neat! You said you do 'your own thing' in port ... we're not 'excursion people' and generally I look online, read up on and go our own way. Any suggestions for Labadee, Ocho Rio, Grand Caymen? Haven't been to any of those places, but we've rented a car in Cozumel and rode around the island, went to the beach, etc. I like to shop (not to the extent some people do, we don't spend thousands generally... with the exception of that bracelet!!) but I like jewelry, things for my grandchildren (3, 1 & 9 mos), christmas ornaments from the different places, sundresses, baseball hats, pottery, etc. We love beaches, but also love those with a little 'shade' around too. Love to 'explore' but as I said, on our own!! Just don't like to get tied down to buses, big groups and all that organized stuff. Love meeting new people, just don't want the restrictive part of organized excursions. Yes, we're spoiled brats and all that good stuff!! But, we've found so far that we do okay with either car rentals or cabs or even just walking if it's that kind of port. Any suggestions? Btw, LOVED Antigua, St. Lucia & Barbados!! Great experiences on all of them ... cabs, beaches, walking, exploring & shopping!!
Old January 26th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Super Bowl Sunday on Freedom

Quote:
Yes, we know it's gonna be great! Didn't like the Explorer as well as the Adventure, but to be totally honest, think it was just one of those 'first experience is the best' type thing. Okay, the Explorer was a tad older, but still just as nice. We didn't have the port every day thing .... but on a ship that large, suppose you don't need it! There is certainly plenty to do. Think there was one sea day .... it was eastern caribbean .... St. Thomas, St. Marteen, Puerto Rico & Nassau ... all of which we'd been to. The first time we were in St. Thomas we went over to St. John, awesome beach!! Rented a car in St. Marteen both times and went to both the French & Dutch side ... loved it. Nassau was sorta special tho since we had been there on our honeymoon 36 years earlier! Went to the same hotel to have a drink and got a 'tennis bracelet' for our anniversary!! Pretty neat! You said you do 'your own thing' in port ... we're not 'excursion people' and generally I look online, read up on and go our own way. Any suggestions for Labadee, Ocho Rio, Grand Caymen? Haven't been to any of those places, but we've rented a car in Cozumel and rode around the island, went to the beach, etc. I like to shop (not to the extent some people do, we don't spend thousands generally... with the exception of that bracelet!!) but I like jewelry, things for my grandchildren (3, 1 & 9 mos), christmas ornaments from the different places, sundresses, baseball hats, pottery, etc. We love beaches, but also love those with a little 'shade' around too. Love to 'explore' but as I said, on our own!! Just don't like to get tied down to buses, big groups and all that organized stuff. Love meeting new people, just don't want the restrictive part of organized excursions. Yes, we're spoiled brats and all that good stuff!! But, we've found so far that we do okay with either car rentals or cabs or even just walking if it's that kind of port. Any suggestions? Btw, LOVED Antigua, St. Lucia & Barbados!! Great experiences on all of them ... cabs, beaches, walking, exploring & shopping!!
I asked you about the explorer because I thought maybe you did bermuda. Explorer does the 5nite Bermuda.

Jamaica/grand cayman is my favorite route. I'm like you I don't do excursions. Labadee is great get off the ship and everything is there. Jamaica I cab it to the beach stay a couple of hours then head back to the ship. I like getting back to the ship before the mad rush gives me some time to have the pool/jacuzzi to myself.
Grand Cayman beach is beautiful just a short cab ride.

Maybe you can cruise with the grandkids sometime in the future.

Enjoy your cruise!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old January 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Passenger

Haven't been to Bermuda since Spring Break in college ... YEARS ago! Let me know how it is if you go! Went to Jamaica years ago as well, but never saw Ocho ... stayed at Montego Bay. Any particular beaches you like better than others in GC & OR? We like to get back to the ship earlier as well ... more relaxing time and no rushes for dinner, etc. Cruise with the grandkids?? Uh, don't know .... cruising is pretty special to hubby and I .... that and Hawaii .... 'our time' sort of thing. Maybe sometime ... for now we do other trips ... went to Hilton Head with them last year with an exchange thru Interval International and working on a Disney trip with the whole famdamily .... but think we'll hold off on the 'family cruise' for now, hehe!! I see you've cruised alot ... other lines and smaller ships .... any preference on any in particular? Do you choose more for the 'ship' experience or itinerary?? Thanx for all your info and comments!!
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Jungle Jane Send a message via Yahoo to Jungle Jane

mmomm I will be on Freedom at the same time as you, and we are from New England also! GO PATS!
I am sailing with my 13 y/o daughter, hubby is staying HOME!
In Labadee we are just having a beach day. The other ports we have excursions planned b'c I wanted to do things that we can't do here in snowy New England in February.
When you are on board look for the 2 dirty blondes that look like me and mini me-that is us! !
Hope to see you on board!

-Jane
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Cruise with the grandkids?? Uh, don't know .... cruising is pretty special to hubby and I .... that and Hawaii .... 'our time' sort of thing. Maybe sometime ... for now we do other trips ... went to Hilton Head with them last year with an exchange thru Interval International and working on a Disney trip with the whole famdamily .... but think we'll hold off on the 'family cruise' for now, hehe!! I see you've cruised alot ... other lines and smaller ships .... any preference on any in particular? Do you choose more for the 'ship' experience or itinerary?? Thanx for all your info and comments!!
Yes Hilton Head and Disney is good for the kiddies and keep the cruises/hawaii for yourself and DH

I prefer the bigger ships. I choose for the ship more then itinerary. Visited many islands (by cruise and land) they are all the same to me at this point.

Here is a great jacuzzi on the Freedom to relax in!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Passenger

That is an awesome pic of the jacuzzi!!! I had read about that and am REALLY looking forward to it!! Thanx!~! Good to hear someone else shares my feeling about 'lovin' and doin' with the kiddies' ... but keeping some things special for hubby and I!!! hehe!! We're like you .... like the big ships, but to be fair, the only other smaller ship we were on was Carnival's Imagination, and that isn't exactly small either. We also picked this trip pretty much just for the ship and not the islands as well. My husband really wants to do the Voyager out of Barcelona .... which had a sale last week to include airfare .... but 'times being as they are, hehe' I didn't take advantage. He's been to England ... but I've never been to Europe .... so still tossing that one around!
Old January 27th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Admiral

You will find a big difference from the imagination and Freedom.
Sometimes you just have to leave kids/grandkids behind and getaway and act like honeymooners again!

I would love to cruise out of Barcelona or Rome however the airfare is a killer and I have college tuition bills around the corner. However in 10 years I'll be done with college bills then I can start cruising Europe.

Here is another pic for ya! The wonderful promenade! don't miss the parade!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Passenger

OH YA!!!! Imagination was our first cruise and I remember thinking how BIG she was as we pulled up in the cab ... needless to say I was speechless when we first saw the Adventure!! And, really I can't imagine the Freedom being bigger ... I'm excited!!

Ah, tuition bills .... I remember them well!! Grandkids are great .... I get to buy them what I want, spoil them & have fun .... then send them home to Mom and Dad to have the responsibilities!!! hehe!!

We loved the parades on the Adventure and the Explorer and looking forward to seeing Freedom's!!!
Old January 27th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Passenger

GO PATS GO! Im Cruising on Liberty of the sea in July, but for next Sunday I am going to the Superbowl. Have a great trip and I am sure they will have the game on the ship.

Old January 27th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Passenger

COOL!!! Going to Arizona are ya??!!! Lucky you!! Pats GOTTA win ..... such an awesome season!! Glad we'll be able to catch the game on the ship .... usually do party of our own here (in GA now for 2 1/2 years, but used to live 30 miles south of Boston) .... all our family here in the south now, and surprisingly, lots of SOX & PATS fans here!! Have a GREAT time .... know you will ... and we'll be enjoying cruising!! Enjoy the Liberty in July!!
Old January 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Passenger

Good luck, hopefully the PATS will rock that ship.

Old January 28th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Beginner

Default freedom of the sea cruise also

I am also leaving Sunday on the same ship. First time for me so I am nervouse. I am from Minnesota. DOnt know what to expect or what to plan on seeing yet but will find that out I am sure..
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Passenger

Default Watch Game in the Sports Bar...

We just returned from the Freedom yesterday. The wife and I watched the Giants - Packers game in the Sports Bar on the 4th Floor (I wish I remembered the Bar's name). Talk about a great time. The crowd was split 50-50 and it was very fun. The ship will also pipe the game into your room but the sports bar atmosphere was not to be missed! Go Giants!
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Beginner

Default freedom...what to see

If there anything we should make sure we see? at the ports also? Can you pretty much wear shorts, tank tops etc most of the time there..First time so dont know what to expect
Old January 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Freedom is an awesome ship, she is just beautiful. The canteleviered whirlpool is great, especially at night when you can look down at the water and up at the stars! we spent lots of time in that whirlpool.

Shorts, t-shirts, tanks,will be fine on shore.