Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Passenger

Default Explorer/Seas Questions

We're considering booking a Christmas/New Years 2009 cruise on the Explorer of the Seas. We've never cruised RCCL before and am looking for input from experienced RCCL cruisers. We've cruised NCL, Celebrity several times and have always had a balcony or suite. This time we're considering an inside Promanade View. Is this a mistake? This past Christmas, we had a balcony on the NCL Gem and rarely used the balcony.

We particularly enjoy the freestyle dining on NCL. Does RCCL have something similar?

Any info regarding this ship and the rooms would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Passenger

We have cruised RCCL 5 times and Celebrity 2x. Celebrity is a little more upscale but RCCL is good as well. I don't think RCCL has implemented any kind of freestyle dining, on Explorer there's the main dining room, the Windjammer cafe, Portofino's (cover charge) and some smaller places to eat on the Royal Promenade. You should be happy with the PRomenade View room, we prefer a balcony, but it is definitely better than an inside cabin with no window.

Also on RCCL Explorer there is Johnny Rockets, a 50's style diner, with burgers and shakes, I think there's a cover charge there too.
Old January 27th, 2008, 12:45 PM
First Mate

Most people are probably going to tell you they like the balcony cabins best, I actully prefer the promanade cabins. Have stayed in them on the Freedom, Liberty and Explorer. So, is it a mistake ? That will be for you to decide. The room is a bit smaller than a balcony, but I am one of those people that spends very little time in the cabin.
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:39 PM
First Mate

I had a promenade cabin in 8-07 on Explorer of the seas. I would probably not do it again. No natural light to speak of. You have to leave the cabin to see anything but the promenade, which by the way is beautiful. I guess I prefer a balcony. RCCL does not have freestyle dining.
2004 "Glory"
2004"Victory"
2007 "Liberty"
2007" Explorer of the Seas
2009 "Valor"
2009 "Fascination"
2011 " Pride"
2014 "Adventure of the Seas"