Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sovereign of the Seas VS Sensation

I have never gone on a cruise with Royal C. before. My father went on one last year and really enjoyed. More so than Carnival. I am looking to go on a get away weekend type of cruise and have seriously been looking at going on Royal C. Can anyone her tell me the differences between the Sovereign of the Seas and the Sensation. I am a little worried about the tiny cabins on the Soveriegn.
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Sovereign of the Seas VS Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roynala
I have never gone on a cruise with Royal C. before. My father went on one last year and really enjoyed. More so than Carnival. I am looking to go on a get away weekend type of cruise and have seriously been looking at going on Royal C. Can anyone her tell me the differences between the Sovereign of the Seas and the Sensation. I am a little worried about the tiny cabins on the Soveriegn.
Hi Roynala,

The Soveriegn's cabins are very small however it is a shorter cruise and you will be in the cabin to sleep and shower. I would not let the smaller cabin size change your mind about the Soveriegn.

Now I have not sailed on the sensation so I can't comment on that. I'm sure the others will have some help for you on the sensation.

Have a great cruise whichever ship you choose!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 4th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I have cruised both and Sovereign is better hands down! More elegant ship, much nicer pool area and generally better service.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 6th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Passenger

Think Hundai vs Camery
Old March 7th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Captain

Default Re: Sovereign of the Seas VS Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roynala
In fairness, I haven't been on the Sensation. But I agree with the others about the Sov'....Great ship, perfect size, great crew, food etc!
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Beginner

Roynala: My last and 1st cruise was on Sensation. It was our first cruise, didn't know how we would like cruising, so we booked on the cheapest, shortest and most convenient cruise at the time. All in all, we had a blast regardless of the ship... although our room on Sensation was rather nicely sized - we had a rear, oceanview room. We are booked on Sovereign leaving April 4, 2008 (10 days and counting!) I will let you know how the two ships compare. Must say, I'm a bit nervous about the small room thing too... but as long as I have a window... I'm OK.
Old March 30th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Tonyode

Just back from a 4 nite cruise on the Sovereign last week. Had a GREAT week. The first nite a little wavey out of the Cape, couldn't make it to CoCoCay the first day so we went straight to Nassau. Hit up CoCoCay on the way back on Thursday. The ship, for 20yrs old, is AMAZINGLY in good shape and VERY clean. Cabins a bit small.....but big deal....all you do is shower and sleep in them. Plenty of storage area. The food was good to very good. Service and entertainment great. I wouldn't hesitate to go on this ship again. All in all, it was a wonderful cruise!!
Old April 14th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Beginner

Back from our April 4-7 Sovereign of the Seas cruise. Interesting to compare the two ships as this was our second cruise, the first one being in June 2006 on Carnival's Sensation with essentially the same itinerary since Sensation's itinerary was simply Nassau then a day at sea and home again which is essentially what this cruise ended up since Coco Cay was cancelled due to a storm system coming through so we ended up with a (stormy) day at sea...just like our last cruise. Bummer since the whole point of this cruise was to go to Coco Cay and enjoy some beach time...

First of all, my husband felt that the interior decor of Sensation's central area looked like a "1970's Pimp Factory" so he liked the interior of SOS better. We both agreed the food was much better on SOS... their big midnight buffet on Saturday night was pretty impressive with 2 whole roasted pigs and tons of other kinds of food and a great dessert bar. Sensation's midnight buffet was essentially a taco bar... ugh. We both thought the buffet in general on SOS was much better than Sensation which for the most part was hamburgers and hotdogs...

We were comparing the ship with our dinner companions... and one of them pointed out that he felt Sensation seemed to have more activities, which I was inclined to agree... I recall a lot more stuff to choose from on Sensation. On Sensation, they had a fun trivia contest... which we enjoyed hosted by the Cruise Director in their theater along with some other interesting games and such; on SOS, their team trivia & name that tune contest was held in the awkward, narrow space of the Schooner Bar. It was unorganized and a little distracting since the bar was oddly shaped and a lot of the folks were watching some basketball game... One evening, we settled into the Boleros lounge enjoying the latin music... when it shifted into Karaoke night... opened by some English chick from the Cruise Director's staff who sang an awful-nasal-slightly-off key Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band... that pretty much chased us out rather quickly.

And our room... on Sensation, we had a large room at the very rear of the ship with a window. It was huge! Our room on SOS was tiny tiny. If one of us was standing up, the other had to sit on the bed to get out of the way. But it was fine... we didn't spend too much time in the room. Our room steward was great and funny and took very good care of us... while on Sensation, we never ever saw our room steward at all! Service in general on SOS was much better than Sensation, we thought.

Now, the whole disembarkation process... wow, what a nightmare. We were given Pink tags for our luggage the night before. According to the information sheet, Pink 1 would not be called to disembark until 8:30 but they wanted us out of our rooms by 8:00. So we left the room at 7:55, went up to the Windjammer for breakfast... and waited... and waited. They called a set of colors at 9:05 that was scheduled to disembark at 8:05... so we knew we were in trouble. We played cards in the Boleros lounge and continued to wait. At 10:15 or so, we were finally called... at which point, it became one line after another from getting off the ship to the many lines to get through the customs checkpoint. We were in the car by about 10:45... what a mess. My poor sister-in-law had been waiting for us there for 2 hours!

If I remember correctly, on Sensation, we sat in our room with our luggage and waited until our floor was called. At which point, we simply left the ship, breezed right through customs, which consisted of one very disinterested agent leaning against a counter who glanced at our passports, asked me why my marriage certificate was included in mine, to which I tried to explain that my passport was still in my maiden name but he didn't care and we were off... literally took 10 minutes to disembark.

So all in all... I think comparing to two ships, it was a wash. Some things were better on SOS some worse. Who knows.
Old April 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM
First Mate

We sailed on the Sensation twice when we first moved here to Florida and we had a wonderful experience both times. We have nothing bad to say about the Sensation, but that was several years ago. Things can change overnight.

Go with the expectation of having a great time and you will more than likely have a great time. Go looking for everything you can find that's wrong... and you'll come home with a lousy experience. It's mostly in your hands.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian