Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 6th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Beginner

Default Grand Cayman or Cozumel???

I need helpful advice again....We are crusing on Voyager of the seas in April. We have booked the Dunns Falls in Jamica but we are not sure what to do in Grad Cayman or Cozumel. I would really like to spend some time relaxing on the beach somewhere. I was thinking Cozumel but I don't know about Grand Cayman and just spending the day there on our own. We don't want to book excersions all three places and we really don't want to do Stingray City. I guess my question is between the two which do you think would be the best to just walk around and see the sites and which would be the best to find a beach? I found what looks like a neat beach resort from another post on here. They only allow 100 guests a day and right now they still have room (this is in Cozumel). I just need some opinions please. I want this to be the best vacation ever. This will be the first time me and DH have been away from our kids in 12 years! Thanks for all your help!
Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Admiral

If you are looking for a great beach , i would try the 7 mile beach
in the Grand Caymans,( thats where Tom Cruise his shot the movie)
"cocktails" its a beautiful beach. there is a small admission charge
but well worth it. Taxi will cost you about 10.00 dollars.
Old February 7th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

There is also Rum Point in Grand Cayman for a nice beach day. Its much less crowded, but takes some travel to get there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 7th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Passenger

I second for Rum Point- very quant and adorable. Good food and drink also. In Cozumel, I would look into going to an all-inclusive for the day, they charge as little at $40 pp for everything (including booze) Try Nachi Cocoom (spelling???)

good luck
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Grand Cayman or Cozumel???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugnick
I need helpful advice again....We are crusing on Voyager of the seas in April. We have booked the Dunns Falls in Jamica but we are not sure what to do in Grad Cayman or Cozumel. I would really like to spend some time relaxing on the beach somewhere. I was thinking Cozumel but I don't know about Grand Cayman and just spending the day there on our own. We don't want to book excersions all three places and we really don't want to do Stingray City. I guess my question is between the two which do you think would be the best to just walk around and see the sites and which would be the best to find a beach? I found what looks like a neat beach resort from another post on here. They only allow 100 guests a day and right now they still have room (this is in Cozumel). I just need some opinions please. I want this to be the best vacation ever. This will be the first time me and DH have been away from our kids in 12 years! Thanks for all your help!

We went to Grand Cayman and Cozumel last April on a cruise.

We opted to take a taxi in GC and go to "hell"...it was fun and we sent post cards to all of our friends from Hell! (If you do this, I recommend that you use printable, stickable labels, and print all of your addresses ahead of time then take them with you. That way you can just peel and stick when you get there and can take lots of pictures and look around the little souviner shop.) Hell was fine, but it is not a trip that I would do a 2nd time.
In GC we also walked around and shopped for cigars and things...there is a Margaritaville there with a pool up on the 2nd floor. It was neat also.

In Cozmel we opted for the tour of the Mayan ruins at Tulum...It was really a nice trip...hot as can be..hotter than ever...but one of the most beautiful beaches ever. I would definitely do this excursion again, except this time we would ditch the guided tour of the ruins and head to the cliffs. There is a staircase that will take you to the beach for swimming.

Bring LOTS of water...lots. Also, at the flea market at the ruins we had the best fish tacos we ever tasted. and, frozedn coconut...and ohmigosh the margaritas....Am I going on and on???

Have fun on your trip....Whatever you decide, I am sure you will enjoy yourselves!
Old February 7th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Beginner

WOW thanks for the input everyone. Is it best to book something in Grand Cayman or is it pretty easy just to grab a taxi and tell them what beach to take you to? I found what looks like a pretty nice inclusive beach in Cozumel we might just go that route and then do whatever feels right at the moment in Grand Cayman. I just don't want to get somewhere and not no what to do...can you tell this is my first cruise and I am stressing about this stuff....lol! Thanks guys!
Old February 8th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Lady,
You should be able to get a taxi in Grand Cayman. A lot will depend on how many ships are in that day.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On our Cruisemates century cruise, when we ported in Garna Cayman, we had 7 ships in!!!

I was ill, and stayed onboard, but it was shoulder to shoulder in town. Once you tender in, if you decide you want to cab to the beach mentioned..do it pronto.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 10th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

I agree with Trip!!! We just got back from the Voyager today. We had a great time, and I will post a review! However, there were a total of 6 large ships in Grand Caymen when we went. We ended up not going on our planned excursion, and we decided to shop instead. You could hardly move in any of the stores!!! I recommend booking some sort of excursion or staying on the ship. Our tablemates went on the Jeep tour, and they really enjoye it. They visited Hell, the Mayan ruins, and ate rum cake! Well, if I write it in time check out my review! I took pretty good notes, and if you habe questions, I actually kept all the "Cruise Compasses" that tell what all there is to do on board every day. By the way, the ship is practically empty in port, so if you do stay on board in the Caymens, book your spa appointments and hang out by the pool!

Old February 11th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Admiral

I would stay with the standbyes-Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman and Playa Mia in Cancun
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Passenger

4 years ago we went to paradise beach in cozumel. It is an American owned free beach. We had a good time there.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtropic
I would stay with the standbyes-Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman and Playa Mia in Cancun
We went on the Snorkel Trip/Playa Mia Excursion in Cozumel and were very satified. The Snorkel Trip takes you to 2 different reefs and you snorkle in both locations for a 1/2 hour each place. The boat supplies all the gear. They boat also has open bar with Beer, Margaritas and Rum Punch. They then drop you off at Playa Mia Beach where you have a free lunch and again Open Bar. The beach there is nice. They leave you at the beach for around 2 hours. Then they pick you up and bring you back to the vicinity of the boat. The boat staff are very nice. They get you back with over an hour left to buy the tourist stuff or to look around for yourself.
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to DPeeps
Default cozumel...

Are you looking for a place to go with activities for kids or just to relax?? Paradise Beach is definitely a great place to go if you are looking for lots to do...they have snorkling, kayaking, water trampoling and a water climbing activity all for one price. You purchase a wrist band when you arrive and it will let you do it all. I believe it is 7 dollars per person. They have lots of chairs and umbrellas that are free to the public. The food is really good there too. Another thing ....the bar Carlos and Charlies is the next beach over and it is alot pf fun!! Definitely worth checking out!
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Beginner

Default Paradise Beach in Grand Cayman?

We've just read the reply on Paradise Beach and it sounds perfect for my family.

How did you get there? Taxi?

(ps Paradise Beach is in Grand Cayman, right?)
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Beginner

Ok - I just figured out that Paradise Beach is on Cozumel. I found a website on google and it looks perfect for us.

So now I just need to know the transportation stuff -

how do we get there, taxi?
how long does it take to get there?

Thanks for any and all info!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
Passenger

Paradise Beach is my family's FAVORITE destination. We have taken multiple cruises that each go to Cozumel and we ALWAYS go to paradise beach. Its an easy cab ride. If I remember correctly its about $20 per cab each way. Its possible that I am remembering wrong and its $10 each way for a total of $20 but I don't want to 'lowball' it and disappoint you, so assume $20 (before tip) each way. There are plenty of cabs at the port and at the beach and the drivers all know where paradise beach is. I would estimate its a 15-20 minute drive from the pier.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

Have a great time there!