Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Beginner

Default Late Dining - Help!

Hi!

We really want to do a family cruise to Alaska this year and because of custody issues, we were not able to book until this week. I've cruised to Alaska several time but have never cruised on RCCL. Honestly, I was excited that this cruise (Seattle/Seattle - Rhapsody of the Seas) turned out to be one of our few options as I think our eight year old son will really enjoy this ship.

However, the only option was late seating, and this is not an option at all for us. Anyone have any tips on moving to main seating. Failing that (and, at this point, I'm going under the assumption that will not happen), what are our dinner options?
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Admiral

Think about late seating. If it is really a problem I would ask the cruise line or even when you board at the main desk. Other than that the next best option is the Windjammer nightly buffet which is very varied in its selections and might even suit your eight year old where he can make choices. We always choose late seating so that we don't have to hurry back to the ship or can relax after a day on shore before dinner. But i inderstand that this might work for you.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Passenger

Default Dining Seating Changes

I traveled with a group of three others ladies recently on Sovereign of the Seas. Due to a misunderstanding amongst ourselves, two of us were booked for early and two booked for late seating. We all wanted to dine together at early seating.

The first night of the cruise, we presented ourselves to the Maitre'D at the moment the dining room opened for first seating. She was an absolute wonder and very cheerfully and graciously found a way to seat us all together early. Every evening after that, she made a point of stopping by our table and asking each of us how are day was. I can't say enough as to how she went above and beyond.

Hope it all works out for you.
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
First Mate

Default Late Dining

As soon as you board go to the dining room and ask the Maitre'D to change. If at all possible he/she will accomodate you.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old June 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Don't panic - we've changed our dining room seating many, many times on several different cruise lines and I have found this to work 100% of the time.

As soon as you get on board the ship, head straight to the dining room and ask for the Maitre'D. Request the seating you desire and slip him / her a $20 bill. I have never had this method fail.

Best of luck!
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Captain

Default Changing Your Dining Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegal226
As soon as you get on board the ship, head straight to the dining room and ask for the Maitre'D. Request the seating you desire and slip him / her a $20 bill. I have never had this method fail.

Best of luck!
Well, I agree up to a point. I don't think the $20 is necessary.
Old June 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Beginner

The Maitre'D will do whatever needs to be done to make you happy.....and without tipping him/her the $20 suggested!
Old June 12th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Captain

I agree with the NO $ part! Simply because I have come close to accusing them of deliberately messing up the seating sometimes in hopes of getting monetary compensation to "rectify" the problem. I hope that is not the case, maybe it's just part of the job.
Old June 12th, 2008, 06:17 PM
First Mate

These are very good suggestions, but I do think with an 8-year-old you might want to go for the Windjammer buffet. Of course, if you have an 8-year-old who doesn't mind a 1-2 hour dinner time, that's different. At 8 my kids wouldn't have been able to handle it....... which is why I've never taken an 8-year-old.
Old June 13th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

I have taken my kids at that age to the dining room with zero problems.
Old June 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Captain

I agree with tipping the maitre'd for services rendered. That is a tradition with maitre'd's and I'm not sure why all that goes out the window just because it's a restaurant on a ship and not a land based restaurant. Most encourage tipping for great service by every other kind of staff imaginable...I'm not sure why maitre'd's seem to be such an exception for some. They're employees just working hard to send some money back to families in their native country just like everyone else. I'm not sure I believe there is a conspiracy on their part to make things wrong just so you have to come tip them to correct it anymore than I believe a room steward is going to mess something up with the plumbing in your cabin just so he has to rush to your rescue to fix it for a tip.
Old June 14th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Passenger

You will enjoy the Rhapsody - she was designed with Alaska cruising in mind. I was on her last year out of Galveston and we really liked her.