Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Familiar Face

Default Dress Code for Teens on Formal Nights

We will be cruising with our two boys 15 & 18. What's the code for teens.

Carnival Dream 1/2012

Oasis April 10
Liberty of the Seas 08
Carnival Triumph 05
Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Admiral

Here are my boys on formal nite.
If your boys have suits that would be a good choice.
My boys do the dress pants/dress shirt/tie.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Passenger

There were 2 teens at our table and like the Cruise Queen said, Dress Pants/Dress Shirt and Tie/ shoes is all they really need. A Suit is fine but you can get away with the above.
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks. Shirts and ties they have. Not to mention it will be a much easier sell that putting on a suit.

Carnival Dream 1/2012

Oasis April 10
Liberty of the Seas 08
Carnival Triumph 05
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Passenger

The best part of the formal nights is that after dinner there are professional photographers in place all over the ship (there are professional photogs all over the ship everyday anyway). This will enable some realy nice shots with everyone dressed up. There is no charge for this and if you like the picture you can buy it (only $20.00 for an 8x10) when they are posted the following day. If you don't like the shot it's cost you nothing and they will throw them away. Where else can you get professionally done 8x10's for $20.00? I think on Freedom if you buy 2 they give you a free folding picture frame for the picture on one side and a picture of the ship on the other side. Needless to say my wife bought a bunch of pictures.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby
Where else can you get professionally done 8x10's for $20.00?
Nowhere in NJ. Plus they make great christmas cards!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
What exit? I'm in central Joisey.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Quote:
What exit? I'm in central Joisey.
Arby you in Jersey too?

Morris county
North West
287/206

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Passenger

Manalapan, Monmouth County

Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Manalapan, Monmouth County
Almost bought a house in Manalapan. I like the Manalapan/Marlboro area.
Have one cousin in Freehold and one in Marlboro.

Sorry BJ us Jersey folks are highjacking your thread. :evil:
Back to teen dress code.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Teen with tie, pre-teen with no tie.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 14th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dress Code for Teens on Formal Nights

Brian,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We will be cruising with our two boys 15 & 18. What's the code for teens.
Social etiquette dictates that children should follow the same dress code as adults, regardless of age, unless the host (in this case, the cruise line) prescribes a different dress code for specific age groups.

Having said that, the practical reality of cruising on a mainstream cruise line like Royal Caribbean is that you probably will encounter some parents who are ignorant of proper social etiquette and some parents who know but decide to do their own thing anyway. You'll be able to tell these groups of parents quite readily because their children -- and, as often as not, they -- won't be wearing the proper attire on the "formal" evenings. The rudeness of others does not make it right for us to be rude, but you might want to prepare your teens to deal with those who may be.

From a practical standpoint, the major cruise lines prescribe a modified formal standard of dress that admits at least dark (black, charcoal, navy, etc.) business suits in addition to tuxedos. If your sons have dark business suits, it obviously does not make sense to rent or to buy formalwear for them. If they don't have suits, you might want to consider buying suits for them if you anticipate other occasions for which they will be able to wear them -- weddings, baptisms, bar/bas mitzvahs, etc. -- before they will outgrow them. You can get decent suits that look nice for just $99 at J. C. Penney. If they won't have other occasions to wear suits, though, rental of tuxedos or dinner jackets probably will be the most economical option.

Norm.
Old February 14th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to alli oh so fresh

which cruise are you going on?
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Familiar Face

We'll be on the freedom in April.

Carnival Dream 1/2012

Oasis April 10
Liberty of the Seas 08
Carnival Triumph 05
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
....Having said that, the practical reality of cruising on a mainstream cruise line like Royal Caribbean is that you probably will encounter some parents who are ignorant of proper social etiquette and some parents who know but decide to do their own thing anyway. You'll be able to tell these groups of parents quite readily because their children -- and, as often as not, they -- won't be wearing the proper attire on the "formal" evenings. The rudeness of others does not make it right for us to be rude, but you might want to prepare your teens to deal with those who may be....

Norm.
So, what do you prescribe to the parents that saved the whole year to take the kids on vacation? The Windjammer for Formal nights? I think the picture of Cruise Queens' boys looks fine. My children are grown but my 6'4" son grew 3 inches at a time in spurts and buying clothes for him that he wore for a few months got a tad "out of hand" for a while. Calling someone, "ignorant" because they are fiscally responsible is wrong. 40 years ago a man who didn't wear a hat in public was considered not properly dressed. Times change. The family at my table with the 2 teenage boys looked fine to me. Their mom and dad were dressed properly and the boys were dressed the same way as Cruise Queens' children. Daves' sons look nice also.

If you're going to call me "ignorant of proper social etiquette". I have my own Tux and my wife wore gowns to the formal dinners.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Admiral

My son wore this when he was little on formal nite!

Not a suit and tie but he was a big hit in the dining room with passengers and the crew.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Admiral

How cute! Everyone must have loved that. Bob :o
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quote:
My son wore this when he was little on formal nite!

Not a suit and tie but he was a big hit in the dining room with passengers and the crew.

Cute outfit. Where can I get one? What is up with the pink shoes though

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to alli oh so fresh

the first week of april?
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Arby,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
So, what do you prescribe to the parents that saved the whole year to take the kids on vacation? The Windjammer for Formal nights? I think the picture of Cruise Queens' boys looks fine. My children are grown but my 6'4" son grew 3 inches at a time in spurts and buying clothes for him that he wore for a few months got a tad "out of hand" for a while. Calling someone, "ignorant" because they are fiscally responsible is wrong. 40 years ago a man who didn't wear a hat in public was considered not properly dressed. Times change. The family at my table with the 2 teenage boys looked fine to me. Their mom and dad were dressed properly and the boys were dressed the same way as Cruise Queens' children. Daves' sons look nice also.
I'm well aware that children tend to grow in spurts -- and that pattern of growth is exactly why I do NOT recommend buying formalwear for children unless they will wear it enough to make back the cost.

But social etiquette is social etiquette. I don't define it, but rather just report what reputable manuals of social etiquette state in very clear and unambiguous terms. But since you think you know better, I challenge you to find even ONE reputable manual of social etiquette that says it's proper for children to attend a "modified black tie" event, like a "formal" evening on a cruise ship, in something less than "modified black tie" attire. If you find it, PM me with the bibliographical citation so that I can check it out. If you do, I promise to post an update on the "Cruise Dress and Packing" board as soon as I can confirm it.

The cost of buying or renting proper attire is part of the cost of going on a cruise, just as transportation to the port of embarkation and home from the port of debarkation is part of the cost of a cruise. Those who cannot afford proper attire for the "formal" evenings simply cannot afford the cruise.

BTW, there's also another aspect to this problem. By bringing one's children to a "formal" evening in less than the prescribed attire, one teaches one's children that society's rules of social behavior do not apply to them. That's not exactly a lesson that I would want to teach to my children, and I hope that it's not a lesson that you would want to teach to your children, either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If you're going to call me "ignorant of proper social etiquette". I have my own Tux and my wife wore gowns to the formal dinners.
Hey, I'm not going to pin labels on people.

Norm.
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to DPeeps

I'm just wondering....how old Norm is and if he brings kids along?????
Old February 17th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Familiar Face

We're taking our second cruise with the kids in March. The first cruise my son was 12 and I found a wonderful black suit for $20 at Marshalls. This year he is 14 yo and is growing by leaps and bounds right now and I hated to invest in a suit for him, but I did buy him one on ebay for $18! We went to a local store that carried the brand of suit I was looking for and tried a few on for size and then bid on that size on ebay. We won the suit, bought a shirt on clearance at Sears and an used pair of 'tuxedo' shoes at the local formalwear rental store - total cost of his outfit $48 (includes the shipping)! $48 vs. $100 to rent a tux and shoes for him.

We also bought my husband an used Tux and shoes for right around $100 -- beats the heck out of renting them every cruise for $100.

Outfitting my 17 yo daughter and me are a different story.
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Admiral

DPeeps,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I'm just wondering....how old Norm is and if he brings kids along?????
Norm is just fifty, and does not have children (yet). He also is more than a little disappointed that he could not persuade is godson's parents to come on a cruise, with his godson, in his godson's youth.

And in two dozen cruises on both Princess and Celebrity, Norm has seen many children of all ages dressed properly for the "formal" evenings.

Norm.
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Admiral

BeckyC,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We're taking our second cruise with the kids in March. The first cruise my son was 12 and I found a wonderful black suit for $20 at Marshalls. This year he is 14 yo and is growing by leaps and bounds right now and I hated to invest in a suit for him, but I did buy him one on ebay for $18! We went to a local store that carried the brand of suit I was looking for and tried a few on for size and then bid on that size on ebay. We won the suit, bought a shirt on clearance at Sears and an used pair of 'tuxedo' shoes at the local formalwear rental store - total cost of his outfit $48 (includes the shipping)! $48 vs. $100 to rent a tux and shoes for him.

We also bought my husband an used Tux and shoes for right around $100 -- beats the heck out of renting them every cruise for $100.
That's the way to do it!

And after the cruise, you probably could sell the tux on e-bay for about what you paid for it!

[/quote="You"]Outfitting my 17 yo daughter and me are a different story. [/quote]

For the "formal" evenings, your daughter can wear her prom dress -- which won't cost you anything additional at all.

And I think that most younger girls have a "party dress" for weddings and other special occasions that would be suitable for "formal" evenings.

Norm.
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Passenger

<--one socially ignorant Mom raising her hand....
I don't think its teaching them that "society's rules don't apply to them" at all. I also don't agree with the statement if you cannot afford formal attire for the cruise, you cannot afford the cruise. I won't go into detail, but it might instead indicate that once again we are all juged by our appearance.

Personally, I think social graces and behavior far outweigh the formality of the clothing.

I'll just take my kids elsewhere for formal night, so as not to inconvenience those who judge us by our appearances. I plan to have fun on my cruise.

Past Cruise:
Sovereign of the Seas 10/6/06
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to DPeeps

hey Ally...dont take your kids else where for formal night....we are all going to be on the same cruise! and we are going to have a blast! and believe me...I am definitely not buying a suit for my kids for the cruise and My kids always look very nice and presentable!!!! I totally agree with what you said about said !!! We will have a total of 13 kids in our group and Im sure they will all look very nice even if they aren't in "formal" wear and we will all enjoy the Formal dinner !
Old February 18th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Norm,

I can certainly understand your thought process regarding the dress code for formal night but I don't think that most people relate to it. The last few cruises I have been on, the formal wear seems to be less and less. There is almost nobody wearing a tux and dark suits are not far behind. The key to a cruise is to have fun and not worry about what other people are wearing.

I see too many people complain about the little things on a cruise when they should focus on the good things and the fun they should be having.
Old February 18th, 2008, 02:09 PM
First Mate

Default Dress

I agree with Norm that appropriate dress for formal nights should be followed, especially for adults, as the reason for a formal night is to provide an upscale dining experience (as well as a photo revenue source for the cruise line.)

I think the picture of thecruisequeen's children is perfectly acceptable for formal nights for children of that age. Teenagers should take it a step further.

I also think, from the posts I have read from DTW, he would make a great Cruise Director and would be sporty in that CD outfit

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old February 18th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Passenger

Thanks Dawn. We'll see you there.

Past Cruise:
Sovereign of the Seas 10/6/06
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Admiral

Norm,

When I book my next cruise I will let you know just to make sure we are not on the same ship. I don't want to upset you at dinner when my boys walk into the dining room on formal nite with dress pants/dress shirt/tie and NO JACKET. 8)

Happy cruising everyone!

I see some of you guys are going on the Navigator in April Have fun I love that ship.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas