Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Default New to cruising-- Going to the Caribbean in September?

Hi,

We are new to cruising, we are getting married in September and want to take a honeymoon cruise. Looking at cruises I notice that September is the cheapest time to travel, and some cruise lines don't even offer cruises to the Caribbean during this time... leading me to believe that this is hurricaine season!

Is this an awful time to cruise or should we risk it and go anyway?

Thanks--
Kate
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Passenger

Hi Kate.. Hurricane Season does run June through November. You will run the risk of a hurricane, but you could have lovely weather too.
There are less cruises in the Caribbean then also because ships are doing cruises from cities on the East Cost, Baltimore, New York etc, and more cruises in the Med and still Alaska.

You guys should talk to a Travel Agent and weigh the pros and cons. I personally probably would not cruise the Caribbean at that time of year, but I understand because this is your honeymoon...

Find out as much information as you can and I am sure you will make the right decision for yourself.

Good Luck

1990-1991-Chandris-Horizon
1999-Carnival Sensation, 2000- Inspiration, 2001- Destiny 2002-Celebrity Galaxy, 2003-Constellation, 2004-Constellation 2005-RCCL-Adventure of Seas, 2006-Constellation
2007-RCCL-Seranade&Explorer of Seas
2008-Princess-Caribbean Princess
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
First Mate

Default September

As it is in the height of hurricane season I would not chance it. In 2004 my daughter had to change her honeymoon location from the Caribbean due to a very late hurricane the first weekend in November. Not worth the worry....

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
First Mate

Default Hurricane

One more thing....The honeymoon was not a cruise but at an all inclusive resort. Plans were changed two days before they were to leave and if not for the trip insurance they had taken out they would have lost their money....$6,000.

Again, not worth the gamble...

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Kate, where are you living? Is Florida the closest port to you? What about NY to Bermuda? LA to Mexican Riviera?

I am not afraid of Hurricane season. Rates are good because of it and kids are back in school which will enhance your Honeymoon.

It will be hot, you will get rain but unlike and all-inclusive resort, the ship can move away from a storm and often will alter the intinerary so be open minded and prepared for that and you will have a great time! 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to bassnote_1 Send a message via Yahoo to bassnote_1

I second DTW on that.

Another way to look at it is as an adventure! If there is foul weather you don't really know WHERE you are going to end up! Keep it light and fun. Roll with the flow, and if something changes run with it and make the best of it.

Congratulations on your marriage, I pray you will be as happy as my Bride and I have been over the past 23 years.

One word of caution: cruising can become reeeaaalllly addictive.

2/2005 - Splendour of the Seas
2/2008 - Grandeur of the Seas
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
First Mate

I agree with DTW and the last poster..... if there is a hurricane, the cruise line will just send you to alternate ports or you will have more sea days. As it is your honeymoon, I don't see a problem with this. The idea is to have quality, romantic alone together and sea days are great for that.

Two caveats: #1. if you are not particularly flexible types (you want to go where you paid to go!) you might want to skip hurricane season
#2. if you have motion sickness problems, this could be a bad idea. Even though they will reroute the ship in case of a hurricane, the seas will probably be rougher than normal. This is great for me - the more "motion of the ocean" I get, the better I like it..... but I think I'm in the minority.
Old February 22nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Passenger

DH & I always cruise in the fall months now, Sept. or Oct. due to our work schedules. Yes, it is hurricane season, but as mentioned before they steer you away from the storms. We have had our itinerary changed too but made the best of it. The prices are right and usually, we are the only ship in ports we visit so there are not so many people. Go for it, book your self that honeymoon cruise! and....Congrats to you both!!!

Andrea
~~~~~~~
Carnival x 2
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:09 PM
Admiral

By all means, don't let hurricaine season keep you from your honeymoon cruise! My wife and I took our 1st cruise for our honeymoon in October 2003, and it was the best weather and the best honeymoon we could've hoped for. We have cruised in September or October every year since, although not everytime in the caribbean.

Only once did we have "not perfect weather" while on the Mariner OTS to the Eastern Caribbean, but the Captain just steared away from the rain to sunny weather.

Hurricaines are slow moving storms and fairly predictable. If you get close to your honeymoon departure date and a hurricaine is forecasted, the Cruise line may change the itinerary or skip a port, but you will know that well ahead of time, or atleast a few days before anyway. There is no chance your ship will be caught in a hurricaine, the cruise lines stay atleast 300 miles away and will steer the ship another way.

Don't be afraid, book your cruise, purchase the insurance, and have a great honeymoon cruise.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old February 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have often crusied in the fall and I have to agree with those that said, GO!

The one time this had an impact was when we were heading home, and Florida would have been impacted...ended up not being an issue...A beautiful time to visit the islands!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
First Mate

Hi there,

Just to put in my 2 cents.........hurricane season is the ONLY time we cruise !!

I say go for it!

Gail
Comet Cruiser

Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Passenger

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I think we're going to go for it!!
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Kate, where are you living? Is Florida the closest port to you? What about NY to Bermuda? LA to Mexican Riviera?

I am not afraid of Hurricane season. Rates are good because of it and kids are back in school which will enhance your Honeymoon.

It will be hot, you will get rain but unlike and all-inclusive resort, the ship can move away from a storm and often will alter the intinerary so be open minded and prepared for that and you will have a great time! 8)
Good points Davethewave. South of you in Fort Myers area of SW Florida. And, I'm not afraid of hurrucane season either, even after riding out a direct hit from Cat 4 Charlie in our area nearly 4 years ago.

And, as you pointed out the cruise lines sail far out of the path of major storm; even if it means going in a different direction and port of call
Old February 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Admiral

DTW hit the nail on the head. DW and I always cruise during this time. It's the best time to cruise. RCI nor the Captain will risk your life or his ship. They will avoid hurricanes at all costs. Book it and have fun.
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Passenger

We're actually planning our family vacation for 2009 in September. We haven't decided what cruise yet. But, know it'll be September and out of Port Canaveral......the closest port to where my sons go to college....pick them up.......... quick drive to the port......... and bon voyage.

We're not intimdated or worried about hurricane season, for we live in FL and know the drill. And, the prices are great in September too

“The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.��? --Jacques Cousteau
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

One important note that has not been mentioned: Just because it is Hurricane season does not mean there will be Hurricanes. In fact, you are much more likely to not be affected.

Being altered or impacted by a hurricane is the exception not the rule.

Have a great time!!!!

Don't do anything I wouldn't do.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 26th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
One important note that has not been mentioned: Just because it is Hurricane season does not mean there will be Hurricanes. In fact, you are much more likely to not be affected.

Being altered or impacted by a hurricane is the exception not the rule.

So True DTW. I second the motion that the newlyweds should go for it and not worry about the month of September

“The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.��? --Jacques Cousteau
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:21 AM
First Mate

RE: Dave the Wave's last post

DTW, is there anything you WOULDN'T do? Just wondering......
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Default Re: New to cruising-- Going to the Caribbean in September?

Kate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Hi,

We are new to cruising, we are getting married in September and want to take a honeymoon cruise. Looking at cruises I notice that September is the cheapest time to travel, and some cruise lines don't even offer cruises to the Caribbean during this time... leading me to believe that this is hurricaine season!

Is this an awful time to cruise or should we risk it and go anyway?
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and best wishes for many years of happy marriage!

Unfortunately, September is about the worst possible time of the year to go to the Caribbean (and July and August are also "up there"). It's not only the peak of hurricane season, but it's also the season of very oppressive humidity (which actually is what fuels hurricanes).

But I have some great news for you! September is the bargain season on cruises to Alaska and the Pacific Northwest, and a cruise to Alaska would be an incredibly memorable honeymoon!

Norm.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:18 PM
Passenger

It's true that September is probably the height of the hurricane season. That said, please remember that no ship is going to sail into a hurricane. With all of the equipment on board and communication available these days, they know DAYS before such an event would take place. They will simply sail AROUND the storm. We always cruise during August & September. Prices are lower and I trust the cruise line to keep passengers and ship safe.

We have sailed between storms (cruise before us affected and cruise after us), we have sailed immediately before one and never had any rocking or rolling of the ship as we were told COULD happen. The stabilizers on the ships today prevent most of that. Keep in mind too the size of the cities that float especially if you're considering the larger ships.

Don't think twice about it. What a great way to start a marriage.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:22 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by chejo
It's true that September is probably the height of the hurricane season. That said, please remember that no ship is going to sail into a hurricane. With all of the equipment on board and communication available these days, they know DAYS before such an event would take place. They will simply sail AROUND the storm. We always cruise during August & September. Prices are lower and I trust the cruise line to keep passengers and ship safe.

We have sailed between storms (cruise before us affected and cruise after us), we have sailed immediately before one and never had any rocking or rolling of the ship as we were told COULD happen. The stabilizers on the ships today prevent most of that. Keep in mind too the size of the cities that float especially if you're considering the larger ships.

Don't think twice about it. What a great way to start a marriage.
Forgot to say to just make sure that you take out insurance on any cruise. Weather could be a factor but so could missed/delayed/postponed flights.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Familiar Face

katenotes I live in Miami. I always cruise between Sept. and Nov. I was at sea during hurricane Jeanne. The captain change the route and they kept us out 2 more days because the port of Miami was closed. They gave us free drinks and the captain kept the ship close to wireless service areas so everyone could call home or airlines if they needed. We had a great time 9 day cruise for the price of 7 days.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Passenger

Beat a dead horse

You will be fine
if you are doing a 7 day cruise and their is a hurricane the cruise will just go the other way

Unlike being at a resort where there is no option except to reschedule
Old May 15th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Admiral

More beating a dead horse.
That is the best time to go. IMO. plus the price is right.