Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 25th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Beginner

Default Royal Caribbean or Carnival

I am planning a family cruise for 8-10 people and I can't decide on Royal Caribbean or Carnival. I have done 5 Carnival cruises but have never been on Royal Caribbean.

I was leaning towards Royal Caribbean 12 day out of Cape Liberty since I can drive there from Toronto Canada and cut some of the expenses of flying.

Since this would be my first Royal caribbean I wil not get any perks like I would talking a Carnival cruise because with Carnival I have 5 prior cruises.

Your opinions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello Eileensimard,

We also started on Carnival then decided to try Royal Caribbean. Everyone's tastes are different.

Well if you want to continue with Carnival that is up to you of course, and you will get your perks, if not...

It is like that on all different cruise lines, you pick another cruise line and have to start from number 1. That's the way it is (at least on Carnival and Royal Caribbean anyway).

We will be taking the same cruise you are, but in November 2008.

Well all I can say is try it. If you don't like Royal Caribbean, then go back to Carnival. Or if the perks outweigh taking Royal Caribbean vs. Carnival, then take Carnival again.

Whichever cruise line you decide to go with, I'm sure you will have a great time!

elf

Big Red Boat
Carnival Valour 2004
Carnival Jubilee 2005
RCCL Empress of the Seas 2006
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 2007
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2009
Old February 26th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Beginner

I have gone on Carnival and RCCL. I definitely prefer RCCL. Jacuzzi's are open 24 hours, as well as the pool. They are not on Carnival. Perks begin on your 2nd cruise. Pictures are very organized. One level is for shopping. Much classer ship. If you want a more casual cruiseline, then I would suggest Carnival. The Lido deck is casual on Carnival whereby on RCCL, the Windjammer Cafe is alittle more formal.
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Admiral

Like Oceanlover sez,,,there are good and bad points on both lines. We've done both extensively, and really like both,,,except for the RCI megaships. I simply like the smaller RCI ships much better. I doubt that you will find anything really wrong with either line, and suggest that you book which ever line offers the iten, and the price that suit you. The perks for either line aren't that great until you get to the Platinum, so IMO that shouldn't enter into the decision.

Ken
"Sky"

Oh yes,,,the ice cream/frozen yogurt machines are open 24X7 on Carnival!
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Admiral

RCCL all the way!!

Dean
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Admiral

I like to try different cruise lines just so I can evaluate them fairly. As far as perks go, I'm always looking for them too. If you are doing a family cruise with 8 to 10 people maybe the group rate is what will work for you. The price is reduced for all group travel. If you book thru a TA have him/her look into what the requirements are.
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Beginner

Skymaster you mentioned that the Ice cream and Frozen Yoguart machine is open 24/7 on Carnival. Does that mean that on Royal Caribbean they are not or does Royal Caribbean even have the ice cream and frozen yoguart machines?

Thanks for eveyone's input it is very useful.
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Captain

Off the subject, but I've never been able to understand how people can get 10 or more family and friends all together to cruise at the same time. Man, we find it almost impossible to get one other couple who can arrange time off, schedules, kids etc to do anything like that with us. Again, I think it's great you can do it, but people are so busy these days it must not be easy. Am I missing a trick to this?
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Royal Caribbean or Carnival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileensimard
I am planning a family cruise for 8-10 people and I can't decide on Royal Caribbean or Carnival. I have done 5 Carnival cruises but have never been on Royal Caribbean.

I was leaning towards Royal Caribbean 12 day out of Cape Liberty since I can drive there from Toronto Canada and cut some of the expenses of flying.

Since this would be my first Royal caribbean I wil not get any perks like I would talking a Carnival cruise because with Carnival I have 5 prior cruises.

Your opinions would be appreciated.
You have already done a few Carnival cruises and like them so you know you will have a good cruise.
I guess you would have to check out the ports on either ship and price maybe that can help you pick a ship.

Being a 30 minute drive from the Explorer I have yet to cruise on the Explorer because the price is so high. It works out to be cheaper to hop on a plane and cruise from Florida. Enjoy your cruise no matter which ship you choose! 8) 8)

FYI....Princess also does a 9 niter out of New York with dirt cheap prices. I priced out a cabin for 2 in the summer months it is only $2,250. and that is a cabin with a window or inside. Must be some type of sale I thought that was a good price for a 9 niter. 8) 8) Explorer was pricing out to be $3192. for the 9 niter.

ENJOY!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Beginner

Default Royal Caribbean

This will be my 4th Royal Caribbean cruise, this October, and I beleive that you will enjoy this cruise lines. They treat you very, very well and I beleive you will not be dissappointed.
Old March 1st, 2008, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileensimard
Skymaster you mentioned that the Ice cream and Frozen Yoguart machine is open 24/7 on Carnival. Does that mean that on Royal Caribbean they are not or does Royal Caribbean even have the ice cream and frozen yoguart machines?

Thanks for eveyone's input it is very useful.
It does indeed mean that on RCI there are only certain hours that the ice cream/yogurt machines are open. Aboard Mariner the last time we sailed, they were only open in the afternoon for a few hours.
I honestly don't remember if the smaller RCI ships have ice cream/yogurt machines or not, but they probably do, and I'm sure they aren't 24X7.
(I truly love the frozen yogurt,,,so this is a definite plus for me!)

Ken
"Sky"
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Passenger

I've been on RCCl and Carnival and enjoyed both equally. IMO the food was slightly better on Carnival and I think (not sure) they still have 24 hour pizza which we loved.
As far and getting a group of people together, in the past we have planned almost a year ahead of time and gotten groups of anywhere from 25-50 people together to go on a crusie. You get group rates and certain perks. So the point I'm trying to make is that if you plan waaay ahead of time then people can plan for their vacations from work so they can go cruising.