Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Passenger

Default Monarch of the Seas Review 02/22

Hi All,

Just got off the Monarch of the Seas 3-day cruise to Ensenada. For all of those that are die hard Monarch fans, you may not want to read this review. This is our 6th cruise and I have to say, by far, our least favorite.

We arrived at the San Pedro pier around 12:00pm and were on the ship right away(off to a good start!!). We got to our room and it was much smaller than anticipated. Good thing that I am not that large of a man or I may not have fit in the bathroom!! This was the smallest room that we have ever been in. Clean, but small. So at this point, I wasn't that upset with RCCL. We did get a good deal and I couldn't complain about the room as I knew it was going to be the suite that we were used to.

Now for entertainment......for the mostly 20-30 year old on the ship.....here is your Saturday night entertainment....the one and only cruise director Johhny-O playing the "hits" on his Opal....Oh boy!!! Let's rush the stage right now!!!.....can you say B-O-R-I-N-G?.....what did RCL think that the age group from this cruise was 80-90 years old? Get with the times RCL. I was shocked. And then another night they had a comedian that appeared to be doing the same jokes from back in the 80's. I think his name was Roger Behr. Holy cow, this guy was unbearable. I don't even want to talk about it. So the wife and I thought we could have some fun at the disco with "DJ Terry". Well "DJ Terry" turned out to be someone who isn't real and must have burned songs onto a cd. That's right folks, no live DJ. The entertainment part of this cruise made me want to throw up over the 11th floor balcony.

As for the food, it was pretty good. Can't complain that much here. They may have edged out Carnival in the food department.

The cruise director(as mentioned previously) is nothing to call home about. I don't even think I heard this guy once over the intercom. He was very low key except for his incredible Opal playing.....snore.....snore...snore....Where are the John Heald's of the world??????

But if you are looking for a short and fun-filled cruise, turn your cheek away from RCL. They have got a looooooooooonnnnnnnnggggg way to go to catch up with Carnival. I am not sad to see the Monarch leave LA. They can take their boring ship and sail on out to Miami. From now on, we are going with Carnival and/or NCL. I can't explain my dissapointment enough. Either bring a fun ship and crew to LA or get out of town. I think RCL is making a good choice to leave LA. Don't come back unless you can hang with the West Coast crowd. Bye Bye RCL. You lost my business.
NCL Pearl 05/07- Cat AG
Carnival Triumph 11/07- Cat 12
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Passenger

and one more tidbit....we went to the Schooner Bar hoping to hear a somewhat of a "current" song and we shocked to see an almost 70-80 year old man playing Tony Bennett....what is going on here??? This should have been a rocking party type cruise....maybe RCL just wants to force everyone to drink????
NCL Pearl 05/07- Cat AG
Carnival Triumph 11/07- Cat 12
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Passenger

Default I agree to a point

Having cruised with other cruiselines i always put RCCL at my top of the list,however i took this cruise on feb18th and the food was terrible this being said the service was great but imo they have gone way down as far as a classy cruiseline,someones watching that bottum line. I will try someone else in the future!!!!!!!Plus they nickle and dime you for eveything!!!made platinum with this cruise to bad i wont be using the paltry perks,shamefull at best .Low rent operation at best ,tablemates told us to try another cruiseline thats still got it i think i,ll give them a try!!
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

WOW, I like the Monarch, most of the entertainment has been very good as far as I am concerned. As a matter of fact, we booked for April because one of the entertainers we saw is going to be doing his show. His name is Sean O'shea
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m0x9qbZQ7c
and he is the best I have ever seen on a curise ship.
I agree about the size of the cabins though.