CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   dining/food comparison Royal Caribbean vs Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/347475-dining-food-comparison-royal-caribbean-vs-celebrity.html)

laccruise February 26th, 2008 03:40 PM

dining/food comparison Royal Caribbean vs Celebrity

First time on RC how does it compare to the dinner menu and quality compared to Celebrity?

wiscguy2 February 26th, 2008 07:19 PM

Heading out Sunday on Celebrity. Have cruised alot of RCI ships so will give you a verdict. I have heard that meals on Celebrity are better. Watch for me to post a review of the Millennium when I return.

Kuki February 26th, 2008 07:25 PM

Re: dining/food comparison Royal Caribbean vs Celebrity

Quote:

Originally Posted by laccruise
First time on RC how does it compare to the dinner menu and quality compared to Celebrity?

In my opinion food on RCI has slid considerably in the last two years... to the point it may arguably be at the bottom of the mass market cruise lines. On the other hand Celebrity food I think goes from very good to excellent.

bigdaddyhd March 2nd, 2008 10:28 PM

I agree after a 3 year hiatus from RCCL

:D I was shocked how much they slid,still love cruises but what the heck happened to RCCL. I taught i was eating at cook county jail LOL

thecruisequeen March 3rd, 2008 08:27 AM

Re: I agree after a 3 year hiatus from RCCL

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdaddyhd
:D I was shocked how much they slid,still love cruises but what the heck happened to RCCL. I taught i was eating at cook county jail LOL

Last cruise I gained 2 pounds Hopefully if the food is bad I will not gain any weight or maybe even loose weight! :D LOL

But then again the 2 pounds must be from the mojitos as I tend to eat like Nicole Richtie. :shock: LOL

If food is an important part of cruising then maybe RCCL is not the right cruiseline to pick. :D :D :-P

Celebrity cruisers going on RCCL will probably be disappointed in the food. :(

:wink:

skymaster March 3rd, 2008 07:57 PM

IMO both RCI and Celebrity food have slipped in the last couple of years, but I have to say that Celebrity is still better, to MUCH better than RCI as far as food quality, and selection goes.

Ken
"SKY"

yellosno March 3rd, 2008 08:09 PM

I love the food on RCCL. Can't say I ever had a bad meal. I have never understood why so many people go on a mass market cruise and all of a sudden become food critics.

Trip March 3rd, 2008 09:24 PM

On my Century 05/06 New Years Eve cruise, the food was, shall we say....less than stellar, as well as, service at our table...

washdcbmwfan March 7th, 2008 03:14 PM

Celebrity was excellent to me and rcl was good. Been awhile since I have done a carnival --- so wait and see till after next week. In the past rcl had much better deserts.

Dave the Wave March 7th, 2008 03:43 PM

I just came back from Grandeur and go Mariner end of this month. I never went hungry and thought the food was great. Dina was nice enough to take pictures of it all for us.

Here is the tiger shrimp. Go to the link and see the rest of it. Dina ate all that is in the pictures!

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/g...4369/71620.jpg

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=4369

Lou March 8th, 2008 09:09 AM

Yep, I agree with the majority here. We noticed quite a difference
(for the better) on Celebrity and for a mid priced cruise, is your best
bet for good food. However, we still sail RCI and the food is good, not
great, with some dishes in the very good category.

We always enjoy both Chops and Portofino, and if food is a major
issue with you, do both.....get reservations early on, or you'll miss out.

Enjoy.

Robbie H March 9th, 2008 01:45 PM

Those of us that have been with "RCI" for a long time have watched the menu shrink tremendously (vets, remember when even the specialty coffees were free after dinner?). I don't need frogs legs to be impressed but the limited menu is a negative for us now. I hope they pick up the ball and run with it. We documented our feelings on the "Splendour" last month (didn't even have lobster on a 15 day run).

thecruisequeen March 9th, 2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robbie H
(vets, remember when even the specialty coffees were free after dinner?)

THose were the day when you can get a cappucino anytime in the dining room at no extra charge. :( :evil:

Lou March 9th, 2008 07:02 PM

Can't believe you didn't get lobster...Is this something new?
We've always had lobster on any length cruise..the last being
on the Mariner last October.

Robbie H March 10th, 2008 11:54 AM

Whoops! Sorry Lou, I should have included their rationale. Waiter said it was due to the South American itinerary. The run was about half South American passengers but we still missed the lobster tail(s).

Jeff of Torrance March 10th, 2008 11:07 PM

I was amazed at how wonderful the food was on Monarch in November, during a 4-night cruise. We had been on the same ship about four years ago, where the food was not very good. We've been on Celebrity twice (Summit and Mercury). The food was great both times; but, we thought that Monarch's food was just about as good. Most recently, we were on Golden Princess, where the food was good, but not as nice as Monarch or Celebrity. Norwegian Star is at the bottom of our experience, so far.

kd March 17th, 2008 09:58 PM

I think Celebrity slipped a little a couple of years ago and at that time their dinner fare was very comparable to RCCL. This year we found Celebrity to be on top again, superb beef, every meal was great. Celebrity lobsters are much larger than RCCL, and their fruit soups are fantastic. At the buffet Celebrity wins hands down over RCCL. Having said that, we love RCCL and have had great food in the DR and would gladly try them again.

beachcomber March 17th, 2008 10:31 PM

Curious....how is the carnival's food compared with royal caribbean? We have done both....forgot what Carnival was called...RC windjammer's food was excellent. Please do advise...as we may do carnival again..as being cheaper being closer to the port?
Thanks
MJ

laccruise March 20th, 2008 09:40 PM

thanks for responding

As I previously mentioned, first time sailing end of summer on RC. It sounds like Celebrity may rank higher in food quality but still expect to have a great time. Thanks for the info

Lou March 21st, 2008 07:55 AM

You betcha...you'll have a great time. Don't expect the food
to be gourmet, but not fast food quality either. You'll enjoy
it.

nurseypoo5 March 21st, 2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachcomber
Curious....how is the carnival's food compared with royal caribbean? We have done both....forgot what Carnival was called...RC windjammer's food was excellent. Please do advise...as we may do carnival again..as being cheaper being closer to the port?
Thanks
MJ

I've heard carnivals much better. I havent cruised rcl, but wanted to in November, but food unfortunatly is a huge thing for us (egads) and i will go where the food is better.

carnival did give lobster and great prime rib, just stay away from chatieubriand (yucky), the buffet tho sucks, but most ships have kiosk dining also like panini's, chinese, sushi, pizza and sometimes seafood. Those for the most part are great. Ofcourse the burgers and dogs are good too. I really hated the buffets, but rarely had a meal in the dining room not good, and once i had a bad meal and i sent it back and got something else, the next night the maitre'd sent me a bottle of champagne. The specialty restaurant was the best i'd ever had. If we cruise carnival next time (conquest class) were going to bood 2-3 nights in the specialty restaurants...omg drool.