Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:26 PM
Passenger

Default Fort Lauderdale or Miami?

My husband and I are booked on Liberty 8/30. This is our first experience cruising out of Miami and it seems to be getting worse and worse as far as planning goes. We are spoiled with sailing our of Canaveral.

Since we are flying down one, two or three days early we are trying to decide if we should stay in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale. The negative would obviously be getting to the cruiseport from there and the cost involved.

Has anyone had any experience they can share?
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Hi,

Usually we fly into Fort Lauderdale because the rate is alot cheaper then Miami. The cab cost us $84. from Fort Lauderdale to ship in Miami. Also doing LOS and again looks like we will be flying into Fort Lauderdale. Sometimes we take RCCL transfers from FL to Miami ship.

Of course flying into Miami you are right there just a short ride to the ship.

If you are staying a few days before the cruise then you might want to think about is which area would you prefer to stay Miami or FL.

Have a great cruise! 8)

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:17 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Hi,

Usually we fly into Fort Lauderdale because the rate is alot cheaper then Miami. The cab cost us $84. from Fort Lauderdale to ship in Miami. Also doing LOS and again looks like we will be flying into Fort Lauderdale. Sometimes we take RCCL transfers from FL to Miami ship.

Of course flying into Miami you are right there just a short ride to the ship.

If you are staying a few days before the cruise then you might want to think about is which area would you prefer to stay Miami or FL.

Have a great cruise! 8)
Thanks for the information especially concerning the cab cost from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami. Considerably more than I was expecting. I'll need to really consider where we would rather stay. Again, thanks!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Beginner

When we sailed on Liberty we also flew into Ft Lauderdale because the air is usually $40 each cheaper than Miami. There is a shuttle thats $18pp each way that took us right to the hotel. We did the hotel on priceline for $69 right across from Bayside.
Enjoy the Liberty!
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Do you remember what the name of the shuttle company that charged you $18pp each way? How long ago was this?

We are arriving in MIA March 7.2008 and then going to FLL. Our hotel is in Weston and does not offer shuttle service from MIA (probably because it's out of their 5 mile range?).

I did check out one service but they are only allowing one carryon (is a purse considered a carryon?) per person and charge at least $75.00-84.00

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

elf
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Beginner

I always fly into Ft. Lauderdale and usually stay a few days before. We pick up a rental car in FL and return in Miami. When we rent with Alamo, there is a free shuttle from the car return at the MIA airport to the port.
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendaVP23
I always fly into Ft. Lauderdale and usually stay a few days before. We pick up a rental car in FL and return in Miami. When we rent with Alamo, there is a free shuttle from the car return at the MIA airport to the port.
Brenda, isn't it MUCH more expensive to rent in FL and return in Miami? Do I assume that you catch a shuttle BACK to FL for your return flight?

Thanks for your help.
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Brenda, isn't it MUCH more expensive to rent in FL and return in Miami? Do I assume that you catch a shuttle BACK to FL for your return flight?

I just looked at the dates when we are going again this May, and the price to pick up a car at the Fort Lauderdale airport and return to the Miami airport was the exact same as if you picked up at Fort Lauderdale and returned back to Fort Lauderdale.

One time I took a shuttle back, the other time we were lucky enough to meet some friends on the cruise that were parked at the port and gave us a ride to the Fort Lauderdale airport!
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Admiral

We also took the shuttle from FLL to Port of Miami for $18 and got a town car (not a van) well worth the price. The shuttle station is right outside the baggage claim area
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Admiral

if given the choice i would fly into and stay in Ft. Lauderdale, The airport in Ft. Lauderdale is so much nicer and easier than Miami, It is usually cheaper to fly and stay in Ft. Lauderdale, and i feel safer in Ft.Lauderdale, you can walk around after dark, i wouldn't do that in Miami unless i was at the Bayside Marketplace. If you don't mind driving to Miami it might be worth your while to rent a car for a few days, otherwise the shuttle, not a cab is the way to go. Just buget enough time on embarkation day and you will be fine.
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Passenger

I have done miami twice and both times have gone directly to miami. we like to fly down the day before so we're not suprised with a cancelled flight the morning of the cruise.
I've always stayed in a hotel in miami the night before around the aiport. i've always felt safe. the hotel we stay in has a shuttle that takes us from the airport to the hotel and to the cruise port again. we use rccl transport from the port to the airport on departure. I wanted to fly into FLL this time but i couldn't work out the transport. I wansn't aware of this "18 dollar shuttle" and royal caribbean will tranport you in their nice buses from fort lauderdale to miami on the day of the cruise from the airport to the port but only if your flight arrives that day (or so they say, i called to find out). so, i didn't want to rent a car to dive to miami. so, we stay in miami again.
RCCL - Freedom of the seas - Western Caribbean 2006
RCCL - Mariner of the seas - Western Caribbean 2005
RCCL - Enchantment of the seas - Western Caribbean 2004
RCCL - Explorer of the seas - Eastern Caribbean 2004

I'm finally a platinum C&A!
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hello fellowcruisers,

We just returned from an 8-night cruise on Jewel of the Seas out of Ft. Lauderdale. Needless to say, it was just wonderful!

To answer a question about transportation. We had to catch a flight out of MIA, so when we came out of being processed thru Custom's, etc., just around the corner, there was a transportation service and they charged $20.00 per person to go to MIA.

Hope this helps.

elf

Big Red Boat
Crnival Valour 2004
Carnival Jubilee 2005
RCCL Empress of the Seas 2006
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 2007
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2009