Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
Beginner

Default Which should we do in San Juan?

We will have a day in San Juan on our April RC cruise and have never been there before. We can only fit in one excursion and we can't decide if we should do the rain forest or tour Old San Juan. Which one is a "don't miss"? If we do the rain forest, we were planning to do the horse back riding excursion. Has anyone done that RC excursion before and is it good? Any info or help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

We have done the city tour and thoroughly enjoyed seeing the parts of the city, farther afield...then we did a bit of shopping.

Although we have not done El Junque, from what I understand, it's quite a distance to get there, making it for some, not doable due to the arrival time in the port. The cruisers who have done this excursion really enjoyed it.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
First Mate

Old San Juan is VERY easy to do on your own. There is a tourist bureau right to the left of the dock where you can pick up information. Frommer's also has an on-line version of a walking tour. We love to take a taxi (cheap) up to El Morro (closes at 5) and then wander our way back down through Old San Juan. It is like being in Europe! We have done this 4-5 times and have never tired of it.

Have a great cruise!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
Passenger

We have been there three times. The last was March 07. We were in Port not able to fly home for 5 days due to an ice storm on the east coast. If you can only see one thing, go in town. There are tours that include the local history, churches, and El Morro. The rain forest and their mini falls are very nice to see, but there is a long ride getting there.
Old March 4th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Beginner

At the risk of sounding dumb, what is El Morro and how far away from port is it? What does a taxi cost to get there? Thanks!
Old March 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbjensen
At the risk of sounding dumb, what is El Morro and how far away from port is it? What does a taxi cost to get there? Thanks!
You don't sound dumb, we were just assuming . . . El Morro is the fort that you see in all of the travel posters for Puerto Rico. I sits up top of the hill in Old San Juan. It is close enough that you can walk up to it if you wish, or you can take a cheap (maybe $2 pp. max) taxi ride up to it. Here is a map of the area http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp that may help you out. There are links in it to various places, etc. Here is another link that I think may have some photos http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/world-...san-juan.shtml I have dial-up and it is taking forever to load!!!!

No question is dumb, so ask away!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old March 4th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Beginner

Wow, thanks Sheffie! That is all very helpful and informative. You guys are the greatest!!
Old March 4th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Passenger

I too am taking a cruise from San Juan on November 2nd this year, and I too did not know what El Morro was, so thanks for asking!!! Thanks for the helpful hints, I was so looking to do the rainforest, but now I think the city tours might be fascinating Thanks for all your help!!

Old March 5th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

Rainforest sounds like fun.

you dont need an excursion to do old san juan.. just like those shopping excursions, i dont get it- what am i missing? I wouldnt pay someone $40 bucks to take me and babysit me at a mall, why do that on vacation? On my last cruise, this woman and her husband at our dining table ONLY did shopping excursions. They NEVER went to the beach or anything else... only booked shoping excursions! Mind you THIS WAS A 12 DAY CARIBBEAN CRUISE- 8 ISLANDS!!!!! what am I missing!???

Someone explain this to me.. especially when getting to shopping areas are no problem anymore, every port of call basically has thrown up shopping centers every where you turn!

at 80 bucks a couple, what do they offer?
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Not to mention you have to lug all that stuff home !!!!!!!!