Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Freddie15
Default dress code

Hello
Our names are Fred and Theresa. I would like to know what to wear in the main dining room for dinner? What do they mean when they say casual dress for men and women? For casual...could I go with my shorts and a top or must I wear long pants and top (now mind you I don't mean swim trunks). Also what about semi-casual.

Thanks
Fred and Theresa
(new cruisers)
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

This is from the RCI website:

During the day, casual clothes are fine for the main dining room. In the evening, there are three distinct types of dress onboard: casual, smart casual and formal.

The number of smart casual and formal nights is at the ship's discretion.

Cruise Length Casual Smart Casual Formal
3-night 2 0 1
4-night 3 0 1
5-night 3 1 1
6-night 4 0 2
7-night 4 1 2
8-night 4 2 2
9-night 5 2 2
10-night 6 2 2
11-night 7 2 2
12-night 7 3 2*
13-night 8 2 3
14-night+ 9 2 3

Note: *Some 12-night European cruises may have 3 formal nights

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:
Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women
Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women
Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Bare feet or bathing suits are not allowed at any time in the dining room and shorts are not permitted at dinner. Each ship also offers a variety of casual dining options, for example, the Windjammer Café.

Old March 5th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Cruise Maniac

to me casual means jeans and a tank... casual = comfy lol

but to RCI it means dress pants and a nice dressy shirt.. dark/black jeans are the exception. def not light blue jeans and no shorts! dont push it.

Formal is tux and evening gown/ cocktail dress. but you can get away with a nice dress.

I was last on a 12 day cruise, by the end people started not caring... even I wore dark jeans one night. i think women can get away with that- as long as you have nice shoes and a nice top... its A-ok! IMO
Old March 5th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sassy2005

Really the only time the dress code is adhered to is formal nights. Even then not everyone complies. I saw very few jackets on "smart casual" night, and there were a lot of jeans on casual nights.

Old March 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM
First Mate

The last 3 or so years I have seen the "smart casual" basically disappear. Most people really dress up the first formal night, and not so much the 2nd one. The other nights you see everything from khaki pants with nice shirts all the way up to formal, though formal wear isn't usually seen other than formal night.

Just don't wear shorts at dinner.

Have a great cruise.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Passenger

I wore nice linen capris and a sweater to the dining room and felt comfortable that I was dressed appropriately. Often I will wear the same linens pants with a different 'dressy' sweater to save packing space. I also frequently wear the same dress to both formal nights since I only have in on for 2 hours max.
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

On Voyager last August, (Med) there were people in the dining room (La Boheme) wearing bikini tops! The southern europeans have an amazing dress sense don't you think?

Mark

Liberty of the Seas
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Admiral

on casual the nights the vast majorty of the men were in dockers type pants with polo type shirts, for the women - lots of capris with nice tops, sundressess and dockers type pants with a short-sleeved polo or casual blouse, for smart casual just kick it up a notch, the dockers type pants will still be fine for the men but put on a dressier shirt and shoes, didn't see alot of men wearing sportsjackets/ties, for the ladies a nice dress, skirt/blouse, trousers with a nice blouse. Formal nights - suit or tux for the men, long dress, dressy cocktail dress, dressy dinner suit or dressy pants with a sparkly, silky top
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Admiral

Animal Rights,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
to me casual means jeans and a tank... casual = comfy lol

but to RCI it means dress pants and a nice dressy shirt.. dark/black jeans are the exception. def not light blue jeans and no shorts! dont push it.
Your definition is not proper eveningwear (for example, at a country club), even on land.

Norm.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Jean and T-shirts never look right in a cruise ship dining room. Sorry. Even on the most casual ships, NCL, RCI & Carnival, you just look like you don't care.

Shorts do not look good, either, unless they are pleated slack-style, long-legged (to the knee) shorts. Anything less, like cargo shorts, look sloppy. The problem with shorts is the shoes, you aren't going to wear formal socks & shoes with shorts.

Slacks and a polo shirt, minimum. Hawaiian shirts are good, too.

No sandals, especially flip-flops, either.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

I said dress pants and a nice dressy shirt, what else would you wear a prom dress???

and for your info, I just got back from a 3 night out of PR on Monday, people showed up in dress pants on formal night ... I was pissed because I accidentally grabbed the wrong dress and threw it in my suitcase.. when I dressed for dinner I realized it was my roomates dress who is like 4 sizes smaller than me! I squuezed my ass in this dress, VERY uncomfortable.. i almost didnt go to dinner but I had to go for certain reasons... I was sun burnt and pissed to have this tight scratchy dress irritating my skin.. I finally get to dinner and numerous women are wearing pants!!!! I should have just said screw it and worn pants too. Why should I care if no one else does!?
And on casual nights, most people wore jeans... a lot even wore light blue jeans! Which I would never do. I found that since this was only a 3 night out of Puerto Rico 99.9% were Puerto Ricans and to be honest they were rude, obnoxious, loud and didnt follow any rules or listen to any one... and no I am not racist, I have many Puerto Rican friends and some family, but on this cruise, they were obnoxious and wore what they wanted to dinner and didnt care otherwise. It was quite annoying.
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Animal Rights - i have been seeing more women wearing dressy pants with a sparkly, silky top, dress heels and jewlery on formal nights, and i don't see a problem with that, in fact on my last cruise i wore a dressy dinner pant suit with a silk top, and didn't feel out of place at all.
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Admiral

LisaK,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Animal Rights - i have been seeing more women wearing dressy pants with a sparkly, silky top, dress heels and jewlery on formal nights, and i don't see a problem with that, in fact on my last cruise i wore a dressy dinner pant suit with a silk top, and didn't feel out of place at all.
The problem with that is that it is not proper formalwear, and the host (that is, the master of the vessel) prescribed "modified formal" attire for that evening. As such, it's a direct insult to the master of the vessel, to his staff, and to the other passengers who do conform to the prescribed dress code.

And it's also yet another manifestation of the combination social ignorance and self-centered arrogance, much despised by foreigners whose countries we visit, that has become far too prevalent in our society.

Norm.
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Norm, i appreciate your insight, maybe i need to clarify a bit. When i say dressy pants for women i am not talking about trousers, i am talking about flowing, fluid, silky, or crepe type pants that almost look like a long skirt, pared up with a very dressy, silky, sparkly top or brocaded vest. I also think that a dressy dinner suit is fine for a woman on a cruise as it is the counterpart to a man wearing a suit
Old March 18th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Formal wear on cruise ships is going the way of thr vcr. Those who want to wear tuxedos to all their meals should stick to the more formal cruise lines and stop trying to dictate what everyone on every ship has to wear !!
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:15 PM
First Mate

Default Formal Wear

Gee...I always thought the cruise line dictated the dress, not the passengers

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old March 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Admiral

excellent point Mike, i always thought that way too
Old March 19th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

I agree the cruise lines set the dress code. The outfits the two ladies described sounded appropriate. What I'm saying is no one should sit in judgement of what someone else feels is appropriate for formal nights.
Old March 19th, 2008, 03:31 PM
First Mate

Default Dress

Quote:
Originally Posted by rburke
I agree the cruise lines set the dress code. The outfits the two ladies described sounded appropriate. What I'm saying is no one should sit in judgement of what someone else feels is appropriate for formal nights.
I only "sit in judgement" when I see someone make no attempt at all to adhere to the prescribed dinner dress. And I agree with you that the dress described by ladies would be appropriate.

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wasn't referring to you sitting in judgement ,but someone else who was.
Nor do I think you should wear anything but appropriate attire to dinner.
Old March 19th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Thank you paul. I think that the cruise line has set the dress code and those people work their arses off to please it's customers (from what I have seen). I firmly believe passengers should show the same respect and follow dress code guidelines.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:08 AM
First Mate

Default Dress Code

I cruise in a couple of days and will make it a point on the formal nights to see just how closely the dress code is followed.

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:19 AM
Cruise Maniac

Have a great cruise !!!
We are on Jewel in October.
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Admiral

i totally agree with cutiecat, its all about respect, respect for the cruiselines guidelines, respect for the staff and respect for your fellow cruisers who make the effort. Honestly i never understood why there is such a huge deal about formal night, i mean you are going on a cruise, you KNOW that there are dress codes, you KNOW what is expected of you, so whats the big deal?, why is it such a big deal to make an effort to get dressed up for some people, i just don't get it, don't you want to look nice? shhesh i mean how often do you get to get all gussied up and feel extra sexy? hmmm??
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Some people just don't care for the formal nights and with most ships now offering many dining options that shouldn't be a problem anymore.
Those who want to go formal can do so and those who prefer casual have many more choices.
After 20+ cruises we prefer not to go to the formal nights.
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

thank you lisa
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05