Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Beginner

Default seasickness shots/jabs

i would like sombody to put my mind at rest concerning if the onboard doctor is able to give seasickness shots/jabs on request cos i have been on 3 different cruises with other lines and on waking each cruise on the first morning as i sat upright i started to throw up and did this continually for 9 hours till i could be virtually carried to the doctors office where he gave me a shot/jab and i slept for 2 hours then i felt fine for dinner and for next 3 days before it wore of and i neede it again it was worth every penny i didnt have the patches cos my doc doesnt prescribe them and you cant buy them in uk but i had been taking bonine sea legs here in britain and i had tried the bands and ginger nothing works for me exept the shots /jabs please help do they have them on any of rccl ships please
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Passenger

Default Re: seasickness shots/jabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemim
i would like sombody to put my mind at rest concerning if the onboard doctor is able to give seasickness shots/jabs on request

You're refering to a compazine (Prochlorperazine) injection. And, if needed the onboard Dr. can prescribe one depending upon possible adverse reactions due to additional rx meds you may be taking.

Questionable as to whether the onboard Dr will give it to you unless you're showing signs/symptoms of motion sickness.

Prochlorperazine also comes as a tablet, extended-release (long-acting) capsule, oral liquid, and suppository. You should discuss this with your own doctor before even departing and see if he/she deems it OK to prescribe the tablets.

“The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.��? --Jacques Cousteau
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to tbear2762

I would take the previous advise and discuss the matter with my personal physician. It is possible that if he/she is aware that you do indeed have a problem with seasicknees due to problems on previous cruise then he/she may be more willing to give you the patches which work as well as shots minus the pain of the shot. Only thing about the patch is you have to wear it the entire time and you have to put it on before you get sick. My husband found out the hard was that due to the delivery system, ie patch versus pill or shot that you can't wait for symptoms. I wore mine from the minute I arrived at the cruise terminal until we got back to the cruise terminal it worked like a dream. I had no problem getting the prescription as I had been sick on my first cruise. Often doctors don't like to prescribe medications "just in case" but are more willing for a known problem such as yours.
Old March 11th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just be aware that there are side effects associated with the patch.
I wore the patch on our first cruise and it made me sick not the motion of the ship. Once I took it off I was fine. Obviously this does not apply to everyone, But it can happen.
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Re: seasickness shots/jabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfster
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemim
i would like sombody to put my mind at rest concerning if the onboard doctor is able to give seasickness shots
Prochlorperazine also comes as a tablet, extended-release (long-acting) capsule, oral liquid, and suppository.

I think the best kind of shots would be either tequila or vodka! 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Dave, don't forget those jello shots. They go down really nice. I leave on my Carnival Destiny cruise the same day you are leaving for yours. Bob
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Where you going Bob?

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 12th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Flying out of Hartford to catch the ship in San Juan. Then onto Antigua, Barbados, St. Thomas, St Kitts, St Marten and Dominica. 6 islands in 7 days. Then when I return to San Juan, going to spend 2 days at the Courtyard Marriott on Isle Verde. Stayed there last year and just love the place. Will send you pics upon my return like I did last time. Bob