Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Beginner

Default Bad Experience on Board Majesty of the Seas

We cruised aboard RCI's Majesty of the Seas to the Bahamas leaving Miami in December ('07). When we boarded, we were greeted by a horrendous sewage odor in our stateroom--it was sour and foul and could be smelled out in the hallway when the door was open. The room was uninhabitable due to this odor. The room attendant told us he had identified the problem early in the day (before we had boarded), and he had reported it, but it still had not been addressed.

We had to complain multiple times to guest services before anything was done, and they refused to move us because the ship was full. Instead of getting our kids acclimated to the ship and having a relaxing lunch, we spent the first 2-3 hours on board trying to get the ship staff to deal with this issue--all the while afraid we would not have a room we could actually sleep in. Finally the plumbers came and after dinner that night we were told the problem was resolved. However, the next day, when we went to use the shower, dirty black water poured up through the auxiliary drain on the toilet side of the bath, flooding the entire bathroom with dirty sewage water. It was disgusting. It again took them until after dinner to get this fixed. I went to the spa to use a clean shower, and there was no hot water and I had to endure a cold shower.

Basically for 2 days of this 3 night cruise, we had completely unsatisfactory conditions on board the Majesty. Guest services did not offer us a satisfactory resolution to this problem on board, and after a number of contacts with RCI's Guest Relations staff in Miami, they have offered nothing to us that would even remotely compensate us for these totally unacceptable conditions. I have cruised several other lines before, and NEVER had any problems like this! Especially based on our post-cruise treatment, I would recommend picking a different cruise line.
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2008, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Boy, of all things to go wrong, these situations have to be the worst, with sewerage type issues, and it's too bad your family had to suffer through it.

How did the line want to compensate you?

I often wonder when issues like this get documented from the get go,and especially in this instance, where the cabin was so effected, why customers have to go through a song and a dance to get a proper resolution.

But I must say, don't judge the entire line by this issue....I know, I know, you really want to, but don't:)

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 10th, 2008, 08:46 AM
First Mate

Default RCL

We experienced the bad odor on the Veendam with HAL, but nothing like what you describe with the sewage. HAL had the problem fixed within an hour

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Boy, of all things to go wrong, these situations have to be the worst, with sewerage type issues, and it's too bad your family had to suffer through it.

They offered my wife and I each a $250 credit towards a future cruise within 12 months. Give me a break! In order to be compensated, I have to take another cruise on RCI and spend thousands more with them, and I have to do it within a year. They must be kidding. They certainly operate as if they don't really care about customer satisfaction.
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Other then the little problemin the shower, how was your cruise?

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

What do you think would be fair compensation ?
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip

They offered my wife and I each a $250 credit towards a future cruise within 12 months. Give me a break! In order to be compensated, I have to take another cruise on RCI and spend thousands more with them, and I have to do it within a year. They must be kidding. They certainly operate as if they don't really care about customer satisfaction.
A 3-4 day cruise on the Majesty hardly costs thousands of dollars. In fact the $500 should cover at least half of it.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 10th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Passenger

Default majesty

first i was sorry to hear about your trip but i have been on the majesty 6 times and i never heard of this happening in fact we will be leving on the 11 of april could you tell us what your cabin # was. i wll be talking to the trip ambassor and ask him about your problem don't forget to put down the date you cruise
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
A 3-4 day cruise on the Majesty hardly costs thousands of dollars. In fact the $500 should cover at least half of it.
For a family of four, this cruise cost just under 5K including airfare from the Northeast, cruisefare, gratutities and excursions. I think the amount they offered us was about right ($500), but it should have been refunded to us in cash. The idea that we should have to take another RCI cruise at our expense because they messed this one up is galling. I will not use RCI again under any circumstances. Had they corrected this on the spot, I would feel quite different about it, and I certainly wouldn't be spending my time to warn others.
Old March 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Beginner

Interestingly, it looks as if the Majesty isn't the only RCI vessel with sewer odors. I found this on another cruise website:

Kathleen of Fredericksburg VA (11/24/07)
We traveled on Royal Caribean, Sovreign of the Seas on October 22-26,2007 out of Port Canaveral. We took our mother who is both wheel-chair and walker dependent, and who is also almost 88 years old. We booked reservations with Cruises only, and were assured that the stateroom was both wheelchair and walker were accessible. Neither fit in our mother's room, and because of that she was unable to shower on her own for the entirety of the trip as there was no safety bar in the shower stall. We were told to contact the ship Guest Relations when the ship was underway and they would try and accomodate us. Nothing was available and no effort was made to ease the difficulty for the entire 4 days of travel. Also our cabin, had a foul sewer odor, and our steward cleaned the toilet but off and on during the trip we smelled sewer odors, in our cabin as well as in and around the ship.
Old March 11th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Admiral

I was on the Sovereign of the Seas about 2 years ago and it smelled really nasty up on the pool deck. Seems like the carpet got wet too many times and never got a chance to dry out, especially by the frozen yogurt machines. Bob
Old March 11th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Beginner

Default hope we have better luck

Sorry to hear such a bad experience! We are going on the same cruise in a few weeks. We will mention that we heard of your bad situation and how damaging that kind of report can be-
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Passenger

we have been on Majesty. LOVED IT

RC is usually very quick to rectify situations..

last year our airline screwed up our travel plans and RC compensated 1/2 of our cruise back for all 4 of us and it wasn't even their mistake. They also paid for the 4 of us to be flown from Miami to Jamaica and then taxied us from airport to boat

and the mistake was NOT theirs it was United Airlines

Majesty of the Seas 2009

Past Cruises
Freedom of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Carnival Victory
Majasty of the Seas
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have sailed this beautiful ship twice and loved it..The op, to my mind had a legitimate complaint..After reading Greenbriar's compensation, [yay for them] when, it wasn't even the lines fault...the op's compensation pales in comparison..jmho......

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 13th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Admiral

I have noticed a sewer smell in the cabin before also. But found it to be my own fault from passing gas after eating too much rich food....

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Tooooooooo much information.

It is funny how the "sewer smell" is a part of every bad ship review. Not all ships have it, but it does seem like every bad ship review mentions it.

I had a toilet on my last ship that just stank, but the steward cleaned the bathroom every day so I figured he smelled it to and there was nothing he could do about it. Then I came in the last day and the smell was suddenly gone.

I was like "dang, why didn't I say something sooner?"
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Paul...I will resist the obvious response :::: but thanks for the opening
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Admiral

That is too bad, I've had nothing but great experiences on the Majesty OTS! I'm planning on another cruise on the Majesty OTS for next winter!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE:

I've been on Sovereign of the Seas twice and read previous reviews about the dreaded "sewer odor" and only smelled it once upon passing through the atrium near the bathrooms. Didn't let it ruin my cruise.

My friend and her family cruised about 5-6 years ago on a Carnival ship, and they booked the bottom of the ship...had one rough day at sea, and their shower and toilet was overflowing with unidentified dirty water as well. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:52 PM
First Mate

I too, have had a bad experience with Royal C. it was on the Explorer and I complained and they could not do anything as far as on board credit went. So I had to take it up with them later when I got home. Well they too, offered me $250.00 credit towards future cruise one for me and one for my husband. We were a party of (4) and they offered me $75.00 for the other two. Had to be used withine one year. Well, I don't have the money to take another vacation within one year. (I feel as though it should have no expiration date). It was a vacation of a life time for us and they just don't care. Plus, I booked the Owners Suite and paid a lot of money for that suite..we saved forever to make this possible... It doesn't matter what cabin you booked, they were gonna give that amount out no matter what.
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:14 PM
First Mate

A 3-Day Cruise on Majesty costs less than $250 a person if you find a reasonable deal. Sorry you had that experience, but it is a fair compensation in my point of view.
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:30 PM
First Mate

First off, it was not a 3 day cruise it was a 9 night cruise...secondly, there is no 3 day cruise where I live. So, if I wanted to take advantage of this credit they are giving me, I would have to pay air fare to fly for this so called credit they are giving me. is costing me money. What kind a room are you talking about that a 3 day cruise cost less then $250.00 a person? I was booked for 9 night owners suite and as I said, it was a once in a life time vacation. We saved up for a long to in order to book this kind a cabin. I'm not upset about the credit.....although I spent well over $10,000 for this cabin alone......I'm more upset that they put a time limit on it. One year!!!!......and it expires...at least give people a 2 year or 3 to use it. Not everyone can book a vacation every year.
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Passenger

Default smell

if you go on any cruise line you will have this problem it's not only rci i ask for the room #and i would talk to someone but i got no response and again i be sailing april 11 on the majesty and i love the SHIP
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal
First off, it was not a 3 day cruise it was a 9 night cruise...secondly, there is no 3 day cruise where I live. So, if I wanted to take advantage of this credit they are giving me, I would have to pay air fare to fly for this so called credit they are giving me. is costing me money. What kind a room are you talking about that a 3 day cruise cost less then $250.00 a person? I was booked for 9 night owners suite and as I said, it was a once in a life time vacation. We saved up for a long to in order to book this kind a cabin. I'm not upset about the credit.....although I spent well over $10,000 for this cabin alone......I'm more upset that they put a time limit on it. One year!!!!......and it expires...at least give people a 2 year or 3 to use it. Not everyone can book a vacation every year.
If you took a regular cabin, you could cruise 3 times for that money. I'd rather cruise more often than blow my whole load on an owners suite. You still have the rest of the ship to enjoy. I go to my cabin, to sleep, get ready for dinner and freshen my drink.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I too, have had a bad experience with Royal C. it was on the Explorer and I complained and they could not do anything as far as on board credit went. So I had to take it up with them later when I got home. Well they too, offered me $250.00 credit towards future cruise one for me and one for my husband. We were a party of (4) and they offered me $75.00 for the other two. Had to be used withine one year. Well, I don't have the money to take another vacation within one year. (I feel as though it should have no expiration date). It was a vacation of a life time for us and they just don't care. Plus, I booked the Owners Suite and paid a lot of money for that suite..we saved forever to make this possible... It doesn't matter what cabin you booked, they were gonna give that amount out no matter what.
You didn't say what your "bad experience" was on the Explorer. No cruise line is in the habit of just giving away a free cruise and airfare for every complaint. I think the compensation for the OP is fair based on what the OP has posted about the problem they incured. I know the OP doesn't feel that way, but I'd sure take $500 off my next cruise for a bad smell and be happy.

So what was the bad experience, if we may ask?

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old March 14th, 2008, 01:42 PM
First Mate

I'm not complaining about the amount, I am not happy that it has to be used within 1 year. Of course, I'd rather of had the amount returned to me in a form of a check. But that ain't happening!!! At the very least, they could have extended the credit for more then 1 year. Party of 4 but, only issued out 2 $250.00 credit and 2 $75.00 credit. What the 3rd and 4th party doesn't get the same. That doesn't make sense. Should be the same all around.

My issues were a bathroom problem, and we were not able to use our bathroom for days. We had people in our room 4 or more times a day and night trying to fix the problem. With that we were not able to shower and had to miss the dining room for 3 nights. Would come back to ship after an excursion and find people in our room and we were all tired sandy from the beach and had to wait for maintence to leave. Ending up hanging out on the balcony just waitting..when a shower and nap would of been nice..After they left the problem would occur again and again. They never did get around to fixing the problem. Spent a lot of money for this type room would of like to been accomodated. Best they could do was told me to take it up with customer service when I got home and that everything was documented and I would be compensated for this matter. I hardly think this amount is being compensated..at least in a for a credit...what they can't write a check out...and why not the same amount for the whole party of 4. Where do they get off make 3rd and 4th for only $75.00.
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I'm not complaining about the amount, I am not happy that it has to be used within 1 year. Of course, I'd rather of had the amount returned to me in a form of a check. But that ain't happening!!! At the very least, they could have extended the credit for more then 1 year. Party of 4 but, only issued out 2 $250.00 credit and 2 $75.00 credit. What the 3rd and 4th party doesn't get the same. That doesn't make sense. Should be the same all around.

My issues were a bathroom problem, and we were not able to use our bathroom for days. We had people in our room 4 or more times a day and night trying to fix the problem. With that we were not able to shower and had to miss the dining room for 3 nights. Would come back to ship after an excursion and find people in our room and we were all tired sandy from the beach and had to wait for maintence to leave. Ending up hanging out on the balcony just waitting..when a shower and nap would of been nice..After they left the problem would occur again and again. They never did get around to fixing the problem. Spent a lot of money for this type room would of like to been accomodated. Best they could do was told me to take it up with customer service when I got home and that everything was documented and I would be compensated for this matter. I hardly think this amount is being compensated..at least in a for a credit...what they can't write a check out...and why not the same amount for the whole party of 4. Where do they get off make 3rd and 4th for only $75.00.
Probably because you didn't pay the same amount for 3rd and 4th as you did for 1st and 2nd passengers. So by my count you would receive a $650 credit for your next cruise. Now, I understand your frustration and I am not making light of your situation, I imagine I would be very upset also. My suggestion would be to make the best out of it. Did the customer service rep you talked to tell you the cruise had to be completed within a year, or just that the credit for the cruise had to be used within a year?

If you only need to use the credit within a year, you could wait, book a cruise using the credit as a deposit within the year but take the cruise farther out and thus have enough time to save for another cruise. If the credit must be used and the cruise itself completed within a year, then that wouldn't work. Even it means taking a shorter cruise, don't let the credit go to waste.

I've never had any serious problems on my many RCI cruises, but I have had some small issues that I felt were dealt with fairly and quickly. I believe that the cruise lines try to make everyone happy and satisfied, but as a wise man and famous President from my state of Illinois once said: "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

do a short weekend cruise without the kids- sail on a ship closer to home. problem solved. Thats $500 bucks!!!!

you cant hate the whole cruise line from ONE bad experience!!
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Passenger

Wow, I think I have smelled a sewer smell on every ship except the Majesty. Funny huh? The Navigator had a sewer smell whenever I used the sink in the bathroom. I couldn't understand that one....no big deal, I just learned to brush my teeth in the shower
I am sorry that it ruined your cruise.

Better luck next time.
P.S. I would love to have the $500 credit!
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie3468
Wow, I think I have smelled a sewer smell on every ship except the Majesty. Funny huh? The Navigator had a sewer smell whenever I used the sink in the bathroom. I couldn't understand that one....no big deal, I just learned to brush my teeth in the shower
I am sorry that it ruined your cruise.

Better luck next time.
P.S. I would love to have the $500 credit!
A passing sewer smell on the deck is one thing. An overwhelming stench in your cabin is something else! As noted, even the cabin attendant felt compelled to report it before we boarded (although nothing was done). And, believe me, I try to spend as little time in my cabin as possible, but you do need to be able to breath in there when you are sleeping! The amounts of the credits they give is sufficient. The problem is that partial credits for ANOTHER cruise are not compensation, and RCI makes the expiration so short, most people can never hope to use them.