Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Passenger

Default CARRYING YOUR OWN LUGGAGE ON SHIP

WILL BE ON THE RADIANCE IN MAY AND STAYING AT HOTEL NIGHT BEFORE - WHEN I GET TO THE SHIP TO BOOK IN - CAN I TAKE MY LUGGAGE WITH ME (SINCE I WILL HAVE IT WITH ME FROM THE HOTEL) INSTEAD OF GIVING IT UP TO PORTERS AT THE SHIP. I ONLY HAVE A MEDIUM SIZE SUITECASE ON WHEELS. THANKS
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Passenger

If I'm not mistaken, There is a size limit to what luggage you can carry on. usually anything larger than what the airlines allows as a carryon you have to leave with the porters.

Sensation August '06
Old March 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Passenger

BUT WHY CAN'T YOU TAKE YOUR LUGGAGE ON WITH YOU - TAKE IT RIGHT TO YOUR ROOM - THERE - ALL READY TO GO - I DON'T WANT TO WAIT TILL AFTER DINNER OR LATER TO GET IT.
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Passenger

now that i can't answer. i just know they have a size limit. prob so they can thoroughly check luggage thats going on board. I can imagine how long the boarding process would take if they let everyone carry on their bags and had to check each bag. call the cruise line and ask them the dimension limits but i think its usually nothing larger than a carry on

i would love to be able to get my bags right away too. When I cruised with carnival we had our bags in less than an hour so i guess it really varies.

Sensation August '06
Old March 13th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Admiral

This just happened to the people in front of us on our cruise last month. They were insisting on taking on their own luggage but since it couldn't fit thru the xray machines they had to check it with the porters. If you really want to take your own on I would suggest instead of a medium suitcase, put your things in two carryone size suitcases. Then you can roll them on and off yourself.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I don't know for a fact, but if it can be xrayed (and most can) I don't see why you couldn't carry it on yourself. Just try to get there after 1:00 so you are fairly certain your cabin is open, or else you will be lugging it all over the ship with you until your cabin is ready.

No harm in asking, the worst is they can say no.
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Passenger

Here is what I found for luggage restrictions on the Carnival website because we are leaving in two weeks and us and our friends are going to carry on a few bags also.

Since the delivery of checked bags may take some time to reach your stateroom, you may elect to bring your own bags on board if they do not exceed 24''w x 16''h (there is no restriction on the length of the bag). Additionally, we highly recommend that guests personally carry any boarding documentation (passports, visas, I.D.), valuables, medications, and items which require special handling on and off the vessel. This advantage will ensure prompt and easy access to your baggage. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on baggage.

Hope this helps.
Old March 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Passenger

Sorry I just realized I was on the Royal Caribbean website. I'm sure that Royal Caribbean would have about the same policies though. Again I am sorry. I'm having a brain fart.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I agree, as long as they fit in the xray machine it shouldn't be a problem. Or they may ask you to open them.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: CARRYING YOUR OWN LUGGAGE ON SHIP

THEDEB,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
WILL BE ON THE RADIANCE IN MAY AND STAYING AT HOTEL NIGHT BEFORE - WHEN I GET TO THE SHIP TO BOOK IN - CAN I TAKE MY LUGGAGE WITH ME (SINCE I WILL HAVE IT WITH ME FROM THE HOTEL) INSTEAD OF GIVING IT UP TO PORTERS AT THE SHIP. I ONLY HAVE A MEDIUM SIZE SUITECASE ON WHEELS. THANKS
You can take your luggage aboard the ship with you so long as it will fit through the X-ray machines that they use for hand luggage.

In my experience (albeit in sister line Celebrity Cruises), the company's shoreside personnel are overly aggressive in telling passengers that luggage won't fit through the X-ray machine. On a couple cruises on which they were quite insistent that my 26" roller back "two suiter" was too big to go through the X-ray machine for hand luggage, it went though with plenty of clearance for a somewhat larger suitcase. In one case, the grief came from the operator of the transfer service who refused to accept the case as carry-on luggage because the ignoramus who was loading passengers at the airport thought that it was too big. I ended up taking a taxi to the pier (shared with others who were going) and getting the cruise line's transfer refunded, as a shipboard credit, when I got to the ship.

Norm.
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

In most cases, you'll have your luggage before dinner, so just take a carry-on with swim suit, etc. or anything you may need before you need to change for dinner. You may even want to include a change of clothes for dinner and then you won't have to worry about late luggage. I don't think I've ever had luggage come after dinner anyway.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 14th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Passenger

THANKS FOR ALL THE TIPS - HAVE LEARNED QUITE A LOT ON THIS SITE MAKING MY EXPERIENCES BETTER ON MY CRUISES BECAUSE I HAVE COME PREPARED.
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:43 AM
Cruise Maniac

Your cabin is ready at 2pm and your suitcases are ready shortly after... usually i see mine in the hall way and just grab it myself. You will have it well before dinner!