Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Familiar Face

Default Magen's Bay beach excursion

Does this excursion (Magen's Bay, St. Thomas) have changing rooms, bathrooms, and a place to buy food or drinks? Also can you snorkle there?

Imagination
Glory
Miracle
Mariner of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Destiny
Legend
Freedom
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, they do have a snack shop, beautiful beach. Not much to see, so I wouldn't bother snorkeling there. Great snorkeling over at St. Johns, if you want to take the time to travel there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dont book the excursion!! It costs $8 per person to take a taxi to Megans Bay and $4. per person to get into the beach through the gate... You can get there as early as you want and leave as late as you desire- at YOUR liesure!! ... why book an excursion? They only give you 3 hours there! Its just a beach.... a BEAUTIFUL GORGEOUS beach!!! Yes you can snorkel, if snorkeling stay to the Right of the beach, there are lots of rocks and tropical fish... Not really coral reefs though. But if snorkeling, stay to the right... you'll see more. Beach chairs are $6 each with a $7 deposit and Floating mats are $8 each with a $10 deposit. There is a cabin looking building with a lunch/snack area and a pretty big gift shop. Of course bathrooms and yes showers.

I was there last Saturday!! Have fun!!!
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Do they have beach umbrellas ?
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

actually, no there weren't any umbrellas... weird right? but there are trees for you to sit under for shade.

You have to go to that cabin building, go into the souvenir shop, pay for your chairs and leave your deposits, etc... she gives you a paper, you then bring it to this shack near by, give him your paper stub, he gives you your chairs and you have to drag them to wherever you want them.. at the end, bring the chairs back, he stamps your paper, bring the paper back to the gift shop- she gives your deposits back. I highly suggest renting the floating mats!! I did and I fell asleep floating on the water basking in the sun, it was so beautiful calm and just paradise!! I literally fell asleep for over a half hour, woke up drifted a short ways away and for a split second- had no idea where I was!! waking up in the ocean is scary!! hahaha but so worth the money, rent the mat!!

I have been to Megans bay when it was over crowded 3 years ago, and this time- last week, for whatever reason, there werent many ships in port, there was hardly any one there! Just the way I like it! And NO you do not have island people hunting you down to rub lotion on you or braid your hair... thank god! Not at all there.
Old March 17th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the info. We will be there next October on Jewel of the Seas repo cruise and my wife likes to go to the beach but has to be careful about being in the sun.
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Megans Bay is indeed one beautiful beach and the problem for me is always whether to go to Megans or day trip to St Johns and Trunk Bay.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM
First Mate

As others have said, don't take the ship's excursion - go on your own. There will be taxis right at the dock that will take you to the bay, and when you are ready to leave, there will be a line of them waiting to bring you back to the ship.

This isn't the place to snorkel. St. John is great for that, or there is Sapphire Beach, which I hear is gorgeous and has great snorkeling. (Maybe next cruise I will go there!)

Enjoy your cruise!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Check out my cruise photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/Sheffie100
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Captain

Subtropic:

After many "excursions" from the ship, last Oct. we went to
St. Johns and Trunk Bay ourselves because we wanted to
spend more time there. We loved it...Went to Trunk Bay for
a couple hours, then showered, changed and took the taxi
back to Cruz Bay. Did some shopping...we actually have a friend
who moved there and opened a shop...they recommended a lovely
restaurant for lunch. All in all, a wonderful time on our own in
St. John...our favorite Caribbean island.

PS: There is a new terminal in Red Hook since we were there
last.