Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Fuel supplement refunded!

Just back from Voyager and while reviewing my ship board account yesterday noticed two credits for $35. Great, but didn't know why. Later a letter came explaining the settlement just this week between RCI and the State of Florida about the fuel surcharge.

Nice bonus

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Captain

Default Fuel Surcharge Refund

Yeah, same for us. Just completed b2b cruises on Radiance, and had credits posted to our shipboard account. Nice.
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

What was the settlement?
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoach
What was the settlement?
the cruise line voluntarily agreed to refund the fuel surcharge for the passengers that were charged AFTER they booked their cruise:

below is the link to the press release from the attorney general

http://myfloridalegal.com/newsrel.ns...2574090044205D
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Passenger

Default fuel surcharge

We haven't sailed yet but booked prior to a fuel surcharge being added. We had received a revised contract by our travel agent several months ago. The surcharge had been added to this amended contract issued by RC. It will be interesting to see if we have to pay this surcharge and get it back as a credit or will be exempt. I will certainly bring the copy of the letter from the AG. Thanks for the info.
5 months to go sailing - on Explorer of the Seas.

Explorer of the Sea 03/28/10
Explorer of the Sea 04/26/09
Explorer of the Sea 9/28/08
Celebrity Ships previous sailings
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I am still looking for my $20 from Grandeur and expect to start my bartab on the Mariner with a $70 headstart! 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Yes $70 credit on the OBC is a good start.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:42 PM
Admiral

For me that 70$ credit will go toward my wine purchases.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 21st, 2008, 06:23 PM
Admiral

We booked our cruise on Grandeur of the Seas, bound for New England and Canada in August, at the end of February and there was a fuel surcharge included in the bill. The refund or our credit will be used to fund an excursion to Peggy's Cove. As they say, you pay one way or the other!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Was just reviewing my American Express account online. RCCL has issued a credit for the fuel surcharge. I had two charges since I did b2b cruises. However one was booked through Expedia and I have not received that $20 refund yet. I expect to get that back some time this week.

Kudos to RCCL. Not only did they promise to refund the money but they did it almost immediately.

Very good PR on their part. You can't buy that kind of good impression.

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old March 23rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Dear IBCRUZIN,
Royal Caribbean certain did show goodwill in refunding the fuel surchange. Any good business wants good "public relations". One negative comment by a customer can turn into ten negative comments. In the end their goodwill will turn into more customers booking cruises with Royal Caribbean so the amount they refunded will eventually turn into not only goodwill but a good profit, in the long run!
Old March 24th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Passenger

Default fuel

Dear Balabusta

Not to disagreee with entirely, but I'm not sure RCI did what they did out of "goodwill". If you haven't read the details on the case, see if this link works. It's from a USA Today article on March 10. I was one of the 150 complaint letters the AG received which led to the refund. Had the complaints not been written I doubt that refund would have ever occurred based on their idea of public relations.

RCI netted $20 million with those charges. To be clear, I have no problem with the fuel charge given todays oil costs, my issue was with how they handled.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/cruiselog/...ev.html?csp=34

Happy Cruising,
Bob
Old March 24th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRon
Dear Balabusta

Not to disagreee with entirely, but I'm not sure RCI did what they did out of "goodwill". If you haven't read the details on the case, see if this link works. It's from a USA Today article on March 10. I was one of the 150 complaint letters the AG received which led to the refund. Had the complaints not been written I doubt that refund would have ever occurred based on their idea of public relations.

RCI netted $20 million with those charges. To be clear, I have no problem with the fuel charge given todays oil costs, my issue was with how they handled.

Happy Cruising,
Bob
It is not the fact that they refunded the fuel surcharge that I applaud. It is the fact that past cruisers (like me) are seeing the refund show up on our credit card statement so quickly. It would not be unusual in circumstances like this that the company making the refund drag out the refund process so that it takes months to actually see the refund reflected on your credit card.

The fact that RCCL issued these refunds in such an expeditious manner which required no extra work by their passengers deserves some kudos. (And I am not a big fan of RCCL.)

Upcoming Cruzes
CCL Splendor

Past Cruzes
Freedom ('09), Imagination ('08), Victory ('08), Destiny ('08), RCCL Navigator ('08), RCCL Majesty ('08), Glory ('07), Liberty ('07), Fantasy ('07), Destiny ('06), NCL PofAm ('05), Fascination ('04), Victory ('04), Fascination ('04), RCCL Voyager ('03), Fantasy ('99)
Old March 31st, 2008, 01:46 PM
Passenger

Default FUEL SURCHARGE REFUND

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GO ABOUT GETTING A REFUND FOR THAT FUEL SURCHARGE? I JUST RETURNED FROM ADVENTURE OUT OF SAN JUAN ON 3/09/08 AND I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT ANY REFUNDS. RCCL CHARGED ME THE $70 AFTER I MADE MY DEPOSIT.THERE WAS NEVER ANY MENTION OF THIS UNTIL ABOUT DECEMBER OR SO . ANY HELP???
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:21 PM
Admiral

Default Re: FUEL SURCHARGE REFUND

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUPES
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GO ABOUT GETTING A REFUND FOR THAT FUEL SURCHARGE? I JUST RETURNED FROM ADVENTURE OUT OF SAN JUAN ON 3/09/08 AND I HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT ANY REFUNDS. RCCL CHARGED ME THE $70 AFTER I MADE MY DEPOSIT.THERE WAS NEVER ANY MENTION OF THIS UNTIL ABOUT DECEMBER OR SO . ANY HELP???
The refund is only if you booked before a certain date. You may or may not qualify. You don't have to do anything to get it if you qualify, they will do it.

Future Cruises:
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCRUZIN'
Quote:
Dear Balabusta

Happy Cruising,
Bob
It is not the fact that they refunded the fuel surcharge that I applaud. It is the fact that past cruisers (like me) are seeing the refund show up on our credit card statement so quickly. It would not be unusual in circumstances like this that the company making the refund drag out the refund process so that it takes months to actually see the refund reflected on your credit card.

The fact that RCCL issued these refunds in such an expeditious manner which required no extra work by their passengers deserves some kudos. (And I am not a big fan of RCCL.)
RCI had 30 days in which to get the refunds underway -- they had to report back to the AG in that time. Goodwill would have meant never having broken their contract in the first place. The lawsuit and the AG investigation on the anti-trust allegation continues, however.
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Dear Balabusta

Happy Cruising,
Bob
Thank you Capt Ron for being with us in writing the AG. Even though the AG cites 150 complaints, I have a feeling it was much greater than that. The Maritime Commission -- as you know, on a list of contacts sent to us by the AG -- told a caller it had received thousands of calls. Goodwill had nothing to do with it, imo; in fact, they didn't agree to the settlement until right after the anti-trust lawsuit was filed, and lawyers started running ads in newspapers looking to start a class action suit on the fuel charges. With atty fees, it would have cost them more than 21 million if they hadn't "voluntarily" agreed to the refund of ill gotten gain. Of course, the AG anti-trust investigation has not been completed, nor has the anti-trust lawsuit been dropped.
Nice that Carnival finally agreed to the refunds. I was fascinated by a story I had read that had Carnival saying that when Gov. Christ was the AG, he had given them permission to add the fuel charge. Maybe they settled to keep that story from getting any longer legs!