Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Beginner

Default Coco Cay

Leaving on Sovereign April 4! Looking at the activites for Coco Cay, I've signed us up for the kayaking excursion... but was wondering if someone could tell me how the other "at your leisure' activities work. The kayaking part was more to amuse hubby... I am looking forward to some snorkeling and laying on one of those floaty things in the water and doing nothing... that can be arranged once there on the island, right?
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Admiral

I was wondering the same things. We are cruising on the Sovereign on May 12th. (we being--myself, my hubby and our 2 kids--age 23 and 21)

You'll have to post your experience for me when you get back.

Have a great and safe cruise.
Old March 25th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Coco Cay is RCI's private island, and just about everything on the island is "at your leisure". When you arrive at the island, your ship will anchor offshore and you will be tendered in to the island. On the island, you will find a few different activities. There will be some bars where you can get drinks, and since the island is really an extention of the ship, you can use your seapass card at the bars.

There will be a straw market with locals selling wares and souviners, these locals do not take the seapass card, you will need cash for the straw market area.

You'll find a few different beaches, a larger beach with a lagoon for everyone, and as you walk along the main path towards the other side of the island, you'll find other, smaller beaches for those looking for a quieter time. All the beaches will have lounge chairs and some areas will have hammocks. The island is small, you can walk to the other side in about 15 - 20 minutes.

You'll find different huts around the island where you can rent scuba gear, floating mats and other water sports equipment. There is a children's only water area, and around 11am there is a BBQ lunch served, usually hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken, salads and all the sides along with sweets.

Coco Cay is a great beach day, you'll enjoy all there is to offer on the island. Lots of water sports, beach areas and lazy times to be had!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Admiral

blueliner---thanks for the info.

My husband will especially like the "lazy times" part.
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Beginner

Blueliner - thanks indeed for the great info! Another question just came to me that you may perhaps be able to answer... you mentioned using the Sea Pass and carrying some cash if desired... I figured I'll take a tote bag along... for camera, sunblock, and sea pass and cash...but what do you do with it when you go kayaking or snorkeling and stuff?

Nolou525 - I will definitely post my experience on Sovereign! CocoCay is the main reason I'm taking this cruise.... can't wait!
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu158
Blueliner - thanks indeed for the great info! Another question just came to me that you may perhaps be able to answer... you mentioned using the Sea Pass and carrying some cash if desired... I figured I'll take a tote bag along... for camera, sunblock, and sea pass and cash...but what do you do with it when you go kayaking or snorkeling and stuff?
I don't recall there being any lockers on the island. I've been to Coco Cay 3 times, and every time my wife and I just took turns watching our stuff. My wife likes to just lay out on the beach, and when I go in the water she watches our stuff. I always find a nearby hammock to read and nap in, and will watch our stuff when she goes in the water.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:49 PM
Admiral

Been there twice and the only negative is that both times hammocks were at a premium !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to Tonyode

Just at Coco Cay last week for 2nd time!! What a PARADISE!! I was tempted to miss the tender back to the ship and live there! Great place to do as much as you want, or as little as laying on the beach and napping under a palm tree!
But if you like snorkling.....its a very good place to snorkle. They have a sunken plane, ship and we saw MANY different kinds of see animals...turtles, rays, a BIG Manta RAY.
Only downside, it expensive to rent snorkle equipment......$30 per person. But its worth it.

Its truely a wonderful place!!
Old April 5th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Beginner

We were there last week and rented the mat while on board the ship. I recommend that you wait until you are at Coco Cay before renting anything. There seemed to be plenty of mats, and other equipment available. Although the temperature was in the 80's the water was COLD, we simply placed our mats on the recliners to make a more comfortable place to lie in the sun.
The shops had some neat things but we had assumed that because RCCI "owned" the island, we could use our seapasses to purchase items. Believe the above poster that it is Cash Only. No credit cards or seapass cards taken.
The island is beautiful and clean. The lunch included the items listed above and B B Qed ribs. There was an abundance of deserts to chose from also as well as salads and fresh fruit. Plenty of seating to eat, and hurry if you wish to recline in a hammock after eating, they do fill up fast.
Enjoy!
Old April 14th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Beginner

Back from my cruise and caught with work enough to take a little time to post some remarks... I had asked some questions about Coco Cay... but it seems it was all for nothing. They cancelled CocoCay the morning of... just as we were getting ready to head down for the ride over... it seems a major storm system was on its way in and it was too dangerous. And yes, we ended up sailing right into it during our now Day at Sea... The part that killed us was that it was very windy leaving Port Canaveral and getting into Nassau... and someone said that if it remained this windy on Sunday, Coco Cay might be cancelled. So we actually asked the guy at the Exploration desk how the weather looked for Sunday because we might go ahead and buy a beach excursion for Nassau since the day was gorgeous... we really wanted to hang out on a beach at some point on the cruise... he said the weather looked fine for Sunday so we went ahead and spent the day in Nassau shopping and siteseeing. How could they have not seen the weather report with a major storm system coming??? We were very disappointed and a bit ticked off at the guy at the desk.