Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Default Bow or aft? Help!

Hi everyone. My partner and I are doing a transatlantic cruise on Independence of the Seas in Apr/09. The travel agent said that lg. Oceanview staterooms are hard to choose from as the only ones available are either in the extreme bow or extreme aft. She is suggesting deck 6 and a back stateroom in the extreme aft.

Would this be a good choice? Your thoughts/experiences would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

MH
Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I would personally much prefer a cabin aft, than a cabin towards the bow.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Beginner

I would trust Kuki and your travel agent on this one.
Wife and I have an exztreme aft on the Radiane of the Seas for a cruise to Hawaii in October.
Old March 25th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Have to agree with Kuki, you sometimes get extra noise up in the front, when anchors are lowered, not that problem in the aft...

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Passenger

Default Bow Balcoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Have to agree with Kuki, you sometimes get extra noise up in the front, when anchors are lowered, not that problem in the aft...
Donna...wife & I just booked a bow balcony on another line , second room from the end, port side. I noticed these are the last to sell.

Last year we had the same location on MOS, but an inside cabin & I know excatly the noise you mention. It wasn't a big issue to me because I'm an early riser anyway. However for people who like to sleep late, I suspect it will wake them . The rest of the day or night it was a non-concern. In short the bow wasn't a problem for us.

However with regard to an outside cabin my question is this...its our 1st time w/ a balcony...was this a bad choice of rooms or is any balcony better then no balcony? Aft is not available on this cruise so my choices are limited anyway. I'm thinking if its a bad choice maybe we ought to save some money, book inside, and next time book an aft balcony.

Thanks,
Bob
Old March 26th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Bob,
I've yet to get a bad balcony, I think you'll love it, especially where you are located, enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

You said large oceanview. Do you mean with a porthole or a blacony. I am assuming porthole. Most cabins on this deck have balconies or are inside or promenade. The oceanviews forward look out over the bow and helicopter pad. Not a bad view at all. There are four oceanviews aft and look out the side. They are 6700, 6702, 6400 and 6402. I am not sure but one of these on each side may have a balcony. The same category forward are 6502 and 6202. The forward ones have a sloping bulkhead. I would also look at how far from the elevators and stairs you are if that matters. Which end of the ship will you frequent more? The Windjammer is aft and a LONG walk from the bow.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 26th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Passenger

Default Balcony

Thanks Donna...we're staying put then.

Bob
Old March 28th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Dave! Maybe RCL could do a refit and put people-movers on the ship (like the ones you see in large airports) You're not kidding that's a long walk! Good way to burn off calories though!
Old March 29th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Captain

Default Bow or Aft?

On our last cruise, while I was in the fitness center, I heard someone complaining about how far they had to walk to get from their aft cabin to the fitness center.
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Bow or Aft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootersdad
On our last cruise, while I was in the fitness center, I heard someone complaining about how far they had to walk to get from their aft cabin to the fitness center.
Just like the ones who fight over a parking spot near the doors at the mall, then head out to the fitness center for their workout! Hard for me to understand some folks????

Ken
"SKY"
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also have an aft cabin booked for April '09 on the Independence. Perhaps we will be neighbors! I have suffered a bow cabin before - absolute misery in rough seas or if the ship is hurrying to a morning port through semi-turbulent seas. Aft was highly recommended to me, so we will give it a try. My only hesitation is that I am right under the Windjammer - will foot noise and people moving chairs wake me up or keep me awake at night?

RCCL Independence 4/4/09 - Revenge of the JUGS
Carnival Liberty 3/25/07 - "Spring Break" J.U.G.s (Just Us Girls) Cruise - plus my kids
Carnival Liberty 11/20/05 "I ain't cookin' Thanksgiving dinner" Cruise
NCL Norway - "I'm Pregnant with a 1-year-old" Cruise
Carnival Destiny 6/28/98 - "Honeymoon from Hell" Cruise
Royal Caribbean - 1988 - "Ex-Husband" Cruise
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I've had 3rd cabin from bow and all the way aft. I agree with the aft suggestions. Enjoy.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to ernesthinton
Default Re: Bow or aft? Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH8535
Hi everyone. My partner and I are doing a transatlantic cruise on Independence of the Seas in Apr/09. The travel agent said that lg. Oceanview staterooms are hard to choose from as the only ones available are either in the extreme bow or extreme aft. She is suggesting deck 6 and a back stateroom in the extreme aft.

Would this be a good choice? Your thoughts/experiences would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

MH
When choosing a cabin, you want to be mid ship. Lots of cruisers cannot stand the motion in the front of the ship and get sea sick. A lot of complaints are that the rear of the ship is too noisy as the engine is back there. A nice rear facing cabin is awesome as you can see both sides at once; however, make sure that this cabin is not under or next to a pool.

Always attempt to book your cabins at least a year in advance. Your travel agency may be a member of a group where they have booked group space from the cruiseline and she is limited to just the cabin selections she has purchased. In that case, call the cruise line itself and see if there is other space available on that she and if that is the case, you can book it as a direct passenger. Your travel agent may not like for you to do this, but if they do not have your desired space available in their inventory, you certainly have the right to check elsewhere. Stay away from cabins near elevators and stair cases and near laundry rooms, the slamming of doors and constant traffic can ruin your sleep and in some cases your entire cruise. Especially if you get some drunk person trying to do laundry at 3:00 am.