Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat
Default Europe...

I am leaving on Brilliance of the Seas June 9.

I have a few questions...

1) Given that we are leaving from Spain, are we going to be a small few only English speaking people on board?

2) What is proper attire when in Europe? i.e. at the Vatican, the rest of Italy, Turkey, Greece, and France?

3) Is is better to take a taxi or pay for transfer through the cruiseline to the pier?

4) Shore excursion ideas?

5) Never cruised RCI. How easy are their ships to navigate?

6) Do the cabins have American standard outlets? Or do I need a plug adapter?

I'm sure I'll think of more. In the meantime, thank you for all your help!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

cutiecat,
There will be plenty of people who speak english on the ship. On our cruise there were a lot of people from the U.S. and Great Britain.
Attire in Europe is pretty much casual as it can be quite warm in that area in summer. At the Vatican they ask for people to dress modestly.
We tend to use the ships excursions so I cant help there.
Hope this helps.
Bob
ps: the outlets are american on the ship.
Old April 6th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

Thanks Bob

Two more questions:

What about exchanging our money into euros? When should we do that?

Having never cruised RCI do they print out a daily itenerary for you like Carnival does (i.e. the Carnival Capers)? I like knowing what is going on when and those are fabulous for scrapbooking!
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old April 7th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

We usually exchange dollars for euros at the bank before we leave. You can do it on the ship but the exchange rate isn't as good. We only take around 200 in euros and use our credit card for most purchases and let them fight for the best rate.
RCI does print out a daily newsletter and will give out a flyer for each port with local info.
Bob
Glad to answer any questions you have !!
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Europe...

cutiecat,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I am leaving on Brilliance of the Seas June 9.

I have a few questions...

1) Given that we are leaving from Spain, are we going to be a small few only English speaking people on board?
No. North America is the primary market for Royal Caribbean International so English is the common language and the language of all activities aboard all of the line's ships, regardless of destination.

[/quote="You"]2) What is proper attire when in Europe? i.e. at the Vatican, the rest of Italy, Turkey, Greece, and France?[/quote]

European dress is generally a bit more conservative than in the United States.

Many of the shore excursions visit churches or other houses of worship that have significant art and architecture, most of which have very strict dress codes whether you visit on your own or as part of a shore excursion. Basically, their dress codes require clothing to cover the shoulders, the knees, and everything in between. Some of the churches also require ladies to wear a hat or a kerchief over their hair.

Practically speaking, gents can go anywhere in a shirt with a collar and slacks. For ladies, a modest sun dress cut below the knee or a modest top with a skirt cut below the knee, slacks, or Capris would be fine. If the dress or top has straps rather than sleeves or a plunging neckline, bring a wrap to toss over the shoulders while visiting houses of worship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
3) Is is better to take a taxi or pay for transfer through the cruiseline to the pier?
It depends where you are and how many people are in your party. Nonetheless, consider that many of the transfers have guides to provide a narration of the sights that you are seeing en route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
4) Shore excursion ideas?
In major European ports of call, most shore excursions are "full day" affairs that include lunch at a local restaurant and some time "on your own" for shopping or additional sightseeing or just sitting in a sidewalk cafe and absorbing the local culture, as you wish. These excursions typically leave the ship at 8:00 or 8:30 each morning and return to the ship around 5:00 or 5:30 in the afternoon -- and they are the best way to see the attractions of the major destinations. By way of amplification, many of the attractions tend to have long queues for general admission (waits of 2-3 hours are typical during the peak season), so you'll lose a LOT of time waiting in line if you try to visit them on your own. The shore excursions, by contrast, have prearranged group times so they enter within a few minutes of their arrival at each attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
5) Never cruised RCI. How easy are their ships to navigate?
Neither have I, but probably no more difficult than any other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
6) Do the cabins have American standard outlets? Or do I need a plug adapter?
You'll find a standard American 120 Volt outlet in each cabin.

Norm.
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Passenger

Assuming you are leaving from Barcelona....we've cruised from there two times and have taken a taxi (from hotel in city center) both times.

You'll love the Brillance...have cruised it several times. Be sure and try Chops--speciality restaurant. Also Seaview Cafe has outstanding burgers.

The ship is easy to navigate. Windjammer Cafe (the casual dining/buffet) is set up in stations (i.e. salad, entree, etc)so you're not stuck standing in a long line..you can just zip right to the station of whatever you want.