Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dressing down on Formal night after dinner

We have sailed RCL 6 times and were thinking of trying Celebrity.

My husband and I enjoy formal night, however we both like to change into something more comfortable after dinner. Nice pair of capris and blouse for me and shorts and button down shirt for him. Does Celebrity allow you in the theater, lounges, etc if you are dressed like that on formal night?

I am not asking for the Formal Police to read me the riot act, just some straight answers , Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think you may notice that even after dinner most folks just stay in their formal wear, is there some rule?? I know I've done just that in the past and was almost sorry, everyone else was all dressed up and I wasn't....Not a big deal, but no, I don't think they actually police that after dinner, do what you feel comfortable doing.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 5th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Admiral

98% of the time I do exactly what you're suggesting,,,get comfortable after dinner. I don't go GRUNGY, but do change into some nice slacks, and a decent shirt or something. Even on Celebrity, I've noticed that a lot of people do exactly the same thing. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Enjoy yourself, and be comfortable.

Ken
"Sky"
Old April 6th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Admiral

There are cruisers that do get into more comfy clothing right after dinner. I myself love staying in formal wear.

My son however starts undoing the tie and unbuttoning the shirt as he is walking out of the dining room!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Yeoman

We have been on several Celebrity cruises. We almost always change our clothes after dinner. My shoes kill me and that's one reason I change. I don't put on shorts or jeans, but I don't get all dressed up either. I want to feel comfy! Lots of others to exactly the same thing!
Old April 6th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Captain

My only Celeb cruise was in 04 and there were monitors outside the theater on formal nights. Their mere presence kept out the shorts and flip-flops. I would guess they are relaxing things too. I am a blue jeans kinda guy (after Dinner)and it has made me shy away from "Celebrity" since then. Interested in the other responses to your question tho since we booked first run of the "Equinox" out of Southhampton next year!
Old April 7th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Passenger

Just returned from our third Celebrity cruise. All the literature tells you ships dress code is whatever the dining room code is for that night. HOWEVER, on formal nights I see people entering the theater looking like they just crawled out of a Goodwill kiosk so I think you'll be fine!
Old April 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dressing down on Formal night after dinner

CWolsten,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We have sailed RCL 6 times and were thinking of trying Celebrity.

My husband and I enjoy formal night, however we both like to change into something more comfortable after dinner. Nice pair of capris and blouse for me and shorts and button down shirt for him. Does Celebrity allow you in the theater, lounges, etc if you are dressed like that on formal night?

I am not asking for the Formal Police to read me the riot act, just some straight answers , Thanks
"Dressing down" after dinner is probably more tolerated on Royal Caribbean than on Celebrity.

But JTOL, if you don't like dressing up for the evening, you might want to try Azamara Cruises. Azamara is the company's "All Casual" product.

Norm.
Old April 8th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Norm,
I thought Azamara was supposed to be a little more upscale than Celebrity. Does that mean it's casual all the time or just a little less formal ?
thanks,
Bob