Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:07 PM
Beginner

Default Has Anyone Used Rum Runner Flasks?

Just bought a cruise pack of rum runner flasks from there web sight. Has anybody taken these on Royal Caribbeans Ships? Was there any problems getting them on?
Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Passenger

I've never used them. I'm also member on ......... and i've read the boards and other peoples reviews on them. they say they work great.

Sensation August '06

Last edited by Snoozeman; June 15th, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old April 27th, 2008, 07:17 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Laurie M

I've used them several times on both RCCL and Carnival ships without a problem. I even use them when I travel to hotels. They take up less space in our luggage.

I recommend them. And their customer service is great!
PAST CRUISES
83/Azure Seas; 84/Song of America; 88/Stardancer; 92/Jubilee; 96/Viking Serenade; 97/Holiday; 99/Enchantment OT Seas; 00/Elation; 01,02,02,03/Ecstasy; 02/Voyager OT Seas; 03/Victory; 04/Adventure OT Seas; 05/Sapphire Princess 05,05,05,06,07/Monarch OT Seas; 06,07,08,08/Paradise; 06/Freedom OT Seas; 07 Pride; 07 Pearl; 08/Valor; 08/Serenade OT Seas; 08/Coral Princess
Old April 30th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Beginner

These sound interesting, what do you use them for, I haven't yet been on a cruise so I am just getting to know the ins and outs.
Old April 30th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Beginner

Having now read a few more posts...
...I understand
I am in the UK and have found a supplier here on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexi-Flask-...9548319&sr=8-1
They are £5.99 1 ltr + £1 p&p
Old April 30th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Admiral

A plastic bottle of booze works just fine.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old April 28th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Rum Runner Flasks

We had a group of 6 people on our cruise last week. We used the rum runner flasks and they worked like a charm.

My wife and I had 3 of the large bags (2 with Rum, 1 with Tequila)
My brother and his wife: same setup.
My sister and her husband: same setup.

We were nervous for obvious reasons, but they saved us a ton of money and we just barely finished all the alcohol on the last night.

One by one, our suitcases came to our rooms, we opened them up, and sure enough, they were all there.

My uncle tried bringing a couple of bottles of tequila onboard (no Rum runners; just the bottles). They confiscated the bottles and gave them back to him on the last night.
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Passenger

Has anyone heard of anyone being refused to cruise for bringing on alcohol?
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Beginner

I have never heard of that. I would be shocked if that ever happened. They want your money and they won't get it if they kick you off. I would think that you have to cause a scene or make them think that you might harm the other passengers for them to kick you off. There were so many people getting their alcohol confiscated that they would have to kick off literally dozens of passengers every cruise if they did that.
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Familiar Face

Monarch, Easter 2009...(3) 32oz....(3)8oz...carry on... no problem they worked great.
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:49 PM
First Mate

No but there was a thread on the other board where a bunch of people had their bags snagged and flagged. They were cruising during spring break.

So they arent completly infalable.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Beginner

any chance you can tell us what thread that was? I'd like to find out the details (checked luggage vs. carry on, what cruise line...etc.)
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:04 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmas
any chance you can tell us what thread that was? I'd like to find out the details (checked luggage vs. carry on, what cruise line...etc.)
Checked...RCCL

Dont have a link

Thread starter was victim so title should be obvious.

Multiple parties in group and bags...different cabins.

About a month ago.

R

CCL Inspiration 09
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern 09
CCL Miracle Southern '08
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Western '07
PCL Caribbean Princess Eastern '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Western '05
RCCL Explorer of the Seas Eastern '04
CCL Destiny Southern '01
CCL Sensation Eastern '94
CCL Ecstacy Western '92
CCL Jubilee Eastern '90
Old May 2nd, 2009, 02:11 AM
Passenger

Rum Runner's always get through. Bottles need to be wrapped in bubble wrap and in a huge Ziploc. Plus they add a lot of weight that way. Just get the Rum Runners. They are reusable, leak proof and virtually weightless. If you bring beer make sure it's cans and in the original packaging (not loose) or if you drink Bud, the aluminum bottles (that's what they serve on the ship). All of this must go in your checked luggage!!! Not carry on! If you follow this you will be fine.

The Port Authority is responsible for X-raying your checked luggage. They are checking for guns, knives, bombs and drugs. Don't bring those. They don't care if you like your liquor. After that your bags go to HUGE bins and to the ship where a dog is walked around the bins to sniff for guns, knives, bombs and drugs (again, don't bring those) and then to the ship the bags go.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Familiar Face

Someone cares...the 3 bottles of mixer in my checked luggage... were flagged as suspect..(alcohol)
They were not taken...the luggage that the mixers were in was inspected....and not....for contriband weapons. Placed the "Rum Runner Cruise Kit".... in my carry on....not a problem. "Not selling just stating my exper."
Old May 25th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Beginner

I think camocaps a re a bit better just in case they go through your stuff. If you can take in a "factory sealed" water bottle you can take in liquor. The site that sells the sealed caps that go on your water bottles is called camocaps. net and at lest by doing this you're playing by the rules.
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Beginner

I'm a kill joy and its my personal opionon.

Somehow putting my liquor in a enema looking bag- not something I'd do. To me thats what they look like, I couldn't see myself pouring my hooch out of it.
I grant you I'm cheap (not frugal-cheap) normally. But I rather spend my time and energy enjoying my trip than worrying, what if the cruiseline finds out of my secret stash of hooch.
I'm just saying

Alrana
Old September 12th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Beginner

So what is the trick with packing these? Do you fold them up in your clothes?
Old September 12th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Familiar Face

Used on our last cruise. Got rum and kahula thru with no problem. Will use them again. I stuck mine inside my sandles.
Oct 2007-Carnival Liberty-First "Kids Free" Cruise
April 2009-Carnival Splendor-Swine Flu Cruise-Enjoyed San Fran
April 2010-Carnival Dream-Loved the cruise

To Come:
Jan 2012-Family Cruise on the Mariner of the Seas

"Boat Drink, Waitress I need 2 more Boat Drinks"
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Don't use Rum Runners!

I used mine on a Royal Caribbean cruise Feb 7 2012 and they were caught. I used only half of the spring break pack and squeezed all the air out of them and hid them well in a pair of jeans near the bottom of the bag. I aligned the caps under my toiletries bag and they still saw them on the xray! I called rum runner and they said they don't guarantee them being undetectable so I guess I'm out of luck but I'm not recommending using these.
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Familiar Face

On our last cruise, we had a group of 8 and we each brought a bottle of captain morgan, inside 2 large and 1 medium flasks. I put them in ziploc gallon bags and wrapped clothes around them in our checked luggage. We purchased the fountain card and carried a hip flask in our purses throughout the cruise to make our own drinks. Just make sure you get pop refills when your mug is fully empty since they dump it out to make it fresh everytime.
Old June 12th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

They may be getting better at catching the Rum Runners. We had a couple get caught last month (still got another two on board though). Cruise Sips is a site we found that had some other good ideas too. Little shampoo bottles, etc.
Old June 12th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Proof that you can take soda onboard...

I don't know why I find this picture interesting. I guess it is for the people who say "I'm just not that cheap."

I would never say that because alcohol onboard is expensive - but how much did this person save on this water & soda when you consider time & trouble? He still had to buy it from the store.

I do know for a fact, though, that he got these onboard. A 7-day Caribbean cruise on NCL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04908.JPG (74.6 KB, 25 views)
Old June 12th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail W View Post
They may be getting better at catching the Rum Runners. We had a couple get caught last month (still got another two on board though). Cruise Sips is a site we found that had some other good ideas too. Little shampoo bottles, etc.
It sounds like the people who got caught are the ones who allowed the shape of the bladder, I mean bottle, to be seen as an outline on the Xray. The guy who slipped it in his sandal was not caught because a sandal has a similar round outline as the RR.

But wrapping it in your jeans is not going to disguise the shape from an Xray machine.
Old June 13th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangohotel View Post
So what is the trick with packing these? Do you fold them up in your clothes?
We were advised to pack them inside shoes. It takes some big shoes but that's what we did on embarkation. After we bought some rum on St Maarten we just put them at the bottom of our carry-on bag and they went through the xray screening OK..
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Admiral

Someone on Carnival brought back from the grave a post that was over 3 years old re / smuggling alcohol aboard a ship. Now I see this one, that's been dead for over 4 years has been resurrected.
Good luck in finding the correct answers as to " how, can, should , etc " we sneak alcohol aboard a ship.
To all who sneak, smuggle, plan, worry and fret on how to, this Bud's for
you !!
Old June 15th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Well Ron...

People may not post here much - but we know a LOT of people read these posts.
Old June 15th, 2012, 08:01 PM
First Mate

Ok, so..I'm not advocating sneaking alcohol on board and I did not pack it before leaving home. However, when the van at the park n ride picked us up..The driver said drinks on board were around $14 for a large (smalls were quite SMALL). We all felt that was price gouging. He was right. Anyway, he said it was easy to put it in checked baggage and would go through no problem..So he took us by a cheap liquor store on the way to port and everyone bought a bottle. Now mind you..some of us bought regular sized (wine sized bottles), some got greedy and bought a HUGE bottle. These were all alcohol spirits..Not wine. The driver packed each bottle into every suitcase into the middle of the clothing (one inside a boot). Out of 5 people, only ONE made it through..The one who did not get greedy. Suffice to say the party was in my cabin. One bottle among 5 did not last the entire cruise..So the cruise line still made plenty on drinks from us..Btw, one of the women that had hers confiscated put it in a boot and hers was confiscated anyway...Huge bottle of vodka. Also, I was the only one with a beat up looking luggage bag (it has seen it's share of trips..lol). Everyone else had new, designer luggage. Finally, no one in this group was a slobbering drunk. No one was loud or bothersome. All professional women in their 40's and 50's.

Finally, all the confiscated bottles were returned to their owners at the end of the cruise. In sum, if you pack just a bottle of booze in your checked baggage, you have perhaps a 1 in 5 chance of getting it on board. Additionally, I find it odd that my backpack (carry-on) was never scanned or checked. I'm sure this is not the norm. I wish I had known I could bring bottled water on board as I literally drink a gallon per day and it was not cheap. Again, the cruise lines did not go broke on me.

CarnivalTriumph

Last edited by snorklr45; June 15th, 2012 at 08:07 PM.