Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Passenger

Default Question for veteran cruisers

I've been lurking for a while and I have a question for the veteran cruisers who have been on a cruise recently.

My hubby and I will be taking our first cruise in Oct on the repositioning Jewel from Boston to Miami.

We realize it is a ship, and it will move, and there is no guarantee how smooth the seas will be or if we will encounter a storm, etc, however, my hubby is very worried about getting seasick.

On another board, there has been some discussion about the ships not using the stabilizers as much, and the cruise being more rough than in the past.

Can any of the veteran cruisers, who have been on a cruise recently, comment on if you felt more motion this time than before?

We do have a mid-ship cabin, on Deck 3 and will take medicines to alleviate seasickness, but your thoughts would help me to reassure him.

Thanks!

C
Sponsored Links
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was booked on this cruise until recently, and although I have not sailed the Atlantic, I know many people who have. Basically, it's a crap shoot if you will have calm seas, or not.One woman, I worked with, had barf bags all over the ship on the way down, on one cruise, while another time she had smooth sailing.

Tell hubby to take some precautions, like bands or ginger, or the patch, just in case. I would say maybe the first day could be be more of a ride, Once you get out of the Atlantic, things will be much calmer for you.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Admiral

It depends on where and when you are going. Our cruise to SA around the Horn was the worst. Crossing the Atlantic and Pacific were rocky for a couple of days.

The last cruise from NJ to the Caribbean was slightly rough for a day or so out of NJ.

In a nutshell, there is really no way to predict what you will run into.

No captain wants to have a ship full of seasick passengers and they will do whatever they can to give you the smoothest ride.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old April 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

We are on this cruise also and have sailed out of Boston many times, it will be 50/50 as to rough seas. It usually will last a day or so and then calm down, so it's best to be prepared. It will be a great cruise !!
Bob
ps: if it's rough I'm sure they would use the stabilizers. I've never heard of them not using them.
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Passenger

Thanks so much for your help. I will try to reassure my hubby. Maybe I shouldn't have picked a 10 day for our first cruise......

I see you are from NH Bob. We are from Maine.

c
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

We visit Maine from time to time. We stayed at the Cliff House in Ogunquit last summer. Had a great time.
Bob
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:07 PM
First Mate

cruiseing down the eastern seaboard is a crapshoot any time of year. take some meds and you'll be fine.
Old April 28th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Altho we have not cruised the area that you will be doing we have cruised on the Jewel twice. First time was midship on deck 4 and the last time (March) it was forward on deck 7. She is a very stable ship and we have never felt any movement at all. You will love her and her crew!!
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Captain

Default Boston-Miami Repo Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabba
Thanks so much for your help. I will try to reassure my hubby. Maybe I shouldn't have picked a 10 day for our first cruise......
We have been on the repo cruise three times, and are booked for this October and October 2009. It is a great cruise, with good port calls.

I don't remember any rough seas on the three repo cruises we have done.
Old April 30th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Familiar Face

We have been on 5 cruises over the last 5 years and have had only 1 that was rough--it was the Norwegian and that will be our last NW cruise---all others have been smooth sailing and no sickness without taking any medication--- what we have found is don't look down when you first set sail and the smaller the ship the rougher it is--my favorite and best for feeling as if you are in a hotel is the Royal Car-- it was wonderful and felt as if we were in a fancy spa hotel --the carnival was great also but again the bigger the better for sailing-- another thing we noticed was at night if they were behind on their schedule they would pull up the stabilizers and boogie faster and it could get more rough at night but not too much
good luck and thing positive and you should be ok
kathy
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:44 PM
Beginner

Default midship

I am not sure about sailing the North Atlantic, but you have better chances not to get motion sickness midship where your cabin is. Just enjoy and try not to think to much about it. Good luck
Old May 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Interesting subject and one my DW is somewhat concerned about.

We sailed the Med last summer and it was a very smooth sailing. We have booked the Caribbean for October on Liberty and DW is a little concerned about it being "rough".

Cruisers, what is the Eastern Caribbean "usually" like in late October?

Thanks

Liberty of the Seas
Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default I actually like the motion

Of course, I am talking about a slight rocking....not pitching in high waves. But at night I found th motion kind of relaxing in bed. Just don't let your hubby THINK about it....that is what gets you in trouble.

Costa cruise in 1989
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Folks - do not worry about this. I think I experienced two days of rough seas in all the cruises I have made and those were in the "early" days before these new breed of ships. Relax & enjoy !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Passenger

I too was worried about seasickness on my first cruise. Before I got on board I took the nondrowsy Dramamine. That lasts about twelve hours so I was fine that day. The next morning when i woke up I was fine and never thought about it after that. I think I needed the "crutch" of the dramamine to get me through the first day.

Soveriegn of the Seas 2000
Legend of the Seas 2002
Constellation January 2004
Adventure of the Seas January 2005
Caribbean Princess January 2006
Queen Mary II, November 2006
Cruise of the Century December 2006
Old May 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Question for veteran cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabba
I've been lurking for a while and I have a question for the veteran cruisers who have been on a cruise recently.

My hubby and I will be taking our first cruise in Oct on the repositioning Jewel from Boston to Miami.

We realize it is a ship, and it will move, and there is no guarantee how smooth the seas will be or if we will encounter a storm, etc, however, my hubby is very worried about getting seasick.

On another board, there has been some discussion about the ships not using the stabilizers as much, and the cruise being more rough than in the past.

Can any of the veteran cruisers, who have been on a cruise recently, comment on if you felt more motion this time than before?

We do have a mid-ship cabin, on Deck 3 and will take medicines to alleviate seasickness, but your thoughts would help me to reassure him.

Thanks!

C
Yeah I read that too on the "other" board. Bare in mind that the rumor was started in an elevator during a conversation.

There is nothing to it. The stabilizers will be deployed as required. They are not installed to eliminate the roll but rather to reduce the roll. They can't do anything about the pitch and pitch is usually harmful to stabilizers.

Pack some motion sickness tablets for your hubby. He will be OK.

Old May 21st, 2008, 06:35 PM
Passenger

I have cruised out of NY City a couple of times and found one particular
cruise on Norwegian "extremely rough". We had (First night out). Thunder, lightning, and 35 foot waves. I was on deck 9 with a balcony. The water was spraying all the way up to deck 9. I closed the drapes to the balcony because it felt as though the lightning would come right into the room. However, there wasn't much rocking and rolling, even with 35 foot waves. It was actually fine. The storm scared me, but the ship did just fine. I now cruise out of either Puerto Rico or Miame. The main reason is that you are always "at sea" for at least 2-3 days until you stop at your firdt Island. (unless you are going to Bermuda). I prefer seeing as many Islands as I can, and I prefer spending my cruising time in Caribbean waters, verses Atlantic rough waters.
HAWAII CRUISE JUNE 24,2006 ON NORWEIGEN CRUISE LINE "PRIDE OF AMERICA. FLIGHT TO HAWAII INCLUDED. SEVEN DAY CRUISE. LOOKING FOR PERSON TO SHARE CABIN. I AM AGE 57 AND FEMALE. LOOKING FOR FEMALE AROUND SAME AGE.