Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Beginner

Default Cruising SOS for Honeymoon and R&R June 2, 2008

Greetings everyone! I have been a read-only lurker for a few years and finally decided to register. Can anyone provide in depth insight about the SOS? This will be my first time sailing with RCCL. I have done mostly Carnival. I understand she is an older vessel and cabin space is limited.

Please provide links of photos, or threads with info. Thanks in advance! 8)
Sponsored Links
Old May 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Admiral

I will be able to let you know soon. We are cruising on the SOS May 12th.

Also Dave the Wave is the SOS expert. Hopefully he will fill you in on the ship.
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Yes it is an older ship and smaller than the newer ones. Having said that I had one of the most enjoyable cruises ever on the SOS. I have never been on a ship where the crew seemed prouder of their association with the ship. I went out and bought a outerware jacket inscribed with the name and logo of the ship (the only one I ever purchased) just to have a memento of my time aboard. There is some talk of the SOS being "retired" from the RCCL fleet. So it should be a specialized time at sea for you.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Beginner

Have awonderful cruise and congrates. Watch for the honeymoon party.
Old May 11th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Have a wonderful time. That said even though SOS is an older ship, you can have as much fun as you want. I have been on both big and small ships, and my wife and I have had fun on all of them. As far as cabin storage space; on the older ships it will be small or more limited than the newer larger ships; bottom line, you need to have a packing strategy. Depending on your itinerary you don't need to pack a lot to have fun. Hope this helps.

ps. I have only sailed with RCCL, so I can not speak for the other cruise lines

Cheers,
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old May 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Captain

Sailed the SOS last fall and it is a GREAT ship. Her age doesn't show at all and it was completely refurbished a few years back. You see people cleaning and maintaining it 24/7. Great food & great crew. Enjoy!
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Beginner

Thanks for all of the replies. Finally got my cruise docs. I am on deck 6 at the very front of the ship. Can someone tell me of their experiences at the front of the ship (motionwise; noise, etc).
Old May 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Being in the forward part of the ship could cause a little rocking and rolling. You didn't mention your itinerary or time of year. These two items will determine what type of seas you will be sailing in. The caribbean is mostly calm but you can have some rolling, especially when winter weather hits. Deck six is pretty stable, they say the higher up you are the more you will feel the ship sway. If you tell me more about your itinerary and time of year I will be able to give you more info.

Cheers
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkerwin
Being in the forward part of the ship could cause a little rocking and rolling. You didn't mention your itinerary or time of year. These two items will determine what type of seas you will be sailing in. The caribbean is mostly calm but you can have some rolling, especially when winter weather hits. Deck six is pretty stable, they say the higher up you are the more you will feel the ship sway. If you tell me more about your itinerary and time of year I will be able to give you more info.

Cheers
My sailing is listed in the in the thread title. We are leaving June 2 for a sailing to CoCo Cay and Nassau.
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

As a heads up, you've probably read about it or heard about it. If you smell anything in the hallways where the rooms are that smell like sewage, ignore it.

It's actually the odors of someone currently using their bathroom and it drifts into the hallways. Our cabin steward told us that when we mentioned it to him when I read about it here on the boards. It doesn't last long.

But nobody thinks to bring spray on their trips.

Serenade of the Seas - '05
Sovereign of the Seas - '07
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Beginner

Only 3 days away for my cruise. I can't wait. WOO HOOO!!!!! Will anyone else here be on board?
Old May 30th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

I will watching you get off since we sail on June 6th.
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Yes, the infamous odor in the hallways. It is not the ships fault there are people passing gas in their cabins. All the rich food and som many cabins close together it is unavoidable. The cabins are relatively small and packed in tight. Deck 6 forward I believe is called the Tween Deck. Only drawback all the way forward is long walk to centrum and elevators.

Have a great cruise and ...................

BON VOYAGE!!!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 31st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Beginner

We just got back yesterday from our cruise on SOS. We had a wonderful time. We dined in the Illuitions Dining room and had a great wait staff. If any of you get Apollo as your waiter and Edwardo (Ed) you will be completely taken care of.

We did catch a few wiffs of a bad smell on our 2nd day. But it quickly passed or you walked out of the smell. It isn't that bad. We had a little rocking the first night because we were headed into a strong head wind and we were going pretty fast. It was calm though the rest of the time.

Have a great trip on a wonderful older ship!
Old June 1st, 2008, 01:42 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to cruisecouple

search Sovereign of the Seas on you tube and I believe you will find a few very good videos that have been posted.

Old June 9th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Beginner

8) Hello board. I am back from a woinderful time on the Soveriegn. Even though she is an older ship. She is very well taken care of by her crew. Sure there was the occasional "famous smell" everyone talks about, and we even had a backed up shower drain that was promptly fixed and we never experienced another problem, also the cabin we had was small, but the compactness actually added to the romanticism between my wife and I. 8) The cruise was and is a great cruise. We had perfect weather and everyone had fun. Quest is hillarious. CoCo Cay needs to be a 2 day stop. Hope this helps anyone that has had doubts about the SOS because of tainted reviews. Good day Mates!!!
Old June 9th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise. I love the idea of 2 days at Coco Cay.....could do without Nassau! That would be bliss!
Angela Z.
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Beginner

We did SOS for our honeymoon last year and enjoyed it as well. 2 days in Coco Cay sounds good to me. We did the dolphin swim in Nassau but other than that I have no desire to go back there. Glad you had a good trip. Was hoping to go again before it leaves Port Canaveral, but don't think that's going to happen.
Old June 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I think that is more detail about "the famous smell" than I needed to know. If it gets any more famous, Royal Caribbean should hand out Lysol with their key cards