Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: Should they have been banned?
Yes, for sure! 100 91.74%
No, they should be allowed to keep being whiners to mooch discounts 9 8.26%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default Complaining Couple banned from Royal Caribbean for Life

These people complained their way to credits and discounts. Now they went too far and are banned for life from Royal Caribbean.

VERY interesting article...

Read here----->

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24711659/

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to CruiseNOID

Since it was an EVERY cruise complaint for a future credit or discount RCCL did do the right thing.

I am priveleged to hear some of the most ridiculous complaints from people recently and I am just stunned. No appreciation, No thank you, NO NOTHING from these complainers.

Carnival Inspiration 8/2009
Carnival Fascination 8/2008
Old May 19th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

No, they say they are going NCl and it is much better. Yeah, riiiiight

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
They will complain over with NCL too!!!
Once a complainer always a complainer!!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Perhaps someone should warn the NCL complaints dept.!?

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
Quote:
They will complain over with NCL too!!!
Once a complainer always a complainer!!
CQ, you are right. Some people are not happy unless they have something to complain about. And if there is nothing, then they make something up.

I thought the complaint about her husband being locked outside on the balcony for three hours was pretty funny. He probably did it on purpose to get away from her constant nagging

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 19th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I thought the complaint about her husband being locked outside on the balcony for three hours was pretty funny. He probably did it on purpose to get away from her constant nagging
being locked out on the balcony away from a nagging wife is not a bad idea!

I too had a plumbing problem on the Freedom (was the ships 2nd voyage) I called the desk at 2am the guy came to the cabin about half hour later was in the cabin for about 20 minutes fixed the problem and I gave him a $20. tip as I felt bad that he had to fix the problem at 2:30AM.
He was surprised that i was giving him a tip and thanked me a million times.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 19th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Passenger

There are always three sides to every story.....your's, mine, and what really happened.

However, back in the early 90's, my mom sued another cruise line for injuries while on the cruise (due to maintence issues/drunk doctor/not taking her to the hospital when we got in port and causing more injury by not doing so) and got $800,000.00. She was in bed for the better part of a year and was permanently injured. She didn't get banned from that cruise line though she would never think of using them again. Her one and only cruise after that was a decade later and was on RC. She was very happy with the cruise line and their cabin/ship handicap friendliness. She didn't complain once!
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Passenger

These people love cruising so much that they have tried everything they could to get "free cruises", by complaining about everything under the sun. Hey, we are all "cruise addicts". The difference is that we pay for our cruises., I am positive that we all have had septic problems. I had septic problems on 3 out of my 5 cruises. But so did at least 20 people in cabins around me. It happens. They need to stop trying to get "free" cruises. They blew it for themselves by being such sheisters.
PAKVIS212
HAWAII CRUISE JUNE 24,2006 ON NORWEIGEN CRUISE LINE "PRIDE OF AMERICA. FLIGHT TO HAWAII INCLUDED. SEVEN DAY CRUISE. LOOKING FOR PERSON TO SHARE CABIN. I AM AGE 57 AND FEMALE. LOOKING FOR FEMALE AROUND SAME AGE.
Old May 19th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Passenger

Goes to show the power of the internet and review websites.

We took a honeymoon cruise 19 years ago on Carnival, and on the last night of the cruise the ship struck a Cuban barge and cut it in half and sunk it right in front of most of the passengers and crew watching in Cuban waters. All members of the Cuban crew were killed. It was a horrible, horrible ordeal. We thought we were going to end up in Cuba, the U.S. coast guard would not touch us with a 10 foot pole, because the ship was Liberian Registered. We could watch ourselves on CNN and that was the only place we got any information as to what had happened. I'm surprised Carnival didn't jam the feed.

We spent almost a day stuck off Cuban waters with the pool areas closed and locked so that thee Cuban Navy divers could use this area.

Carnival never apologized or even MENTIONED the incident happened. We were told nothing as to what was going on or what would happen to us. We never received so much as an apology let alone any compensation, even for another cruise in the future.

We have NEVER sailed on Carnival again and it took us 15 years to go on another cruise. I know that we did not receive any compensation but years later the Carnival paid millions to Cuba.

As an owner of a business I know that people make ridiculous claims to get compensation and by giving some dishonest people compensation for their complaints it teaches them to complain even louder. I'm sure RCCL had a record of their compensation in the past and chose to give in to get them to shut up, but their complaints backfired when they went public. A good lesson.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old May 19th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

interesting indeed...

if they found a way to complain on every cruise, then something was not right with the couple....

i have seen problems on cruises that warranted complaints BUT not every cruise i have taken did. and any complaint i have ever have was taken care of right away, on the ship, without any need to go further.

i'm not sure the negative review request should have been made, since it is a message board and one should be allowed to post whatever he/she wants. but if RCI went to great lengths and the couple still posted negatively, maybe that is where RCI felt justified in asking.

i've never cruised Royal, but i seriously doubt they are lacking in this area. good for RCI for what they did.

i hope they don't disappoint come June, which i'm sure they won't
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Very interesting story. Good for RCI.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Admiral

If they had so many complaints why didn't they stop cruising?

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Admiral

My parents were on the Celebrity Horizon years ago when it had Legionnaires disease (SP?) Two days into a 7 nite Bermuda cruise all passengers got off in Bermuda where put up in hotels overnite and were flown home the next day of course on Celebrity's expense. They all received a FREE cruise to be used within 2 years. The complainers took it further wanted more then a free cruise however the case was settled and nothing else was given.

For my parents they did not care they enjoyed 2 days on the ship and overnite in a beautiful Bermuda hotel and cruised the following year FREE.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Admiral

If life gives you a lemon make some lemonade.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Royal Caribbean has now established an industry standard that other cruise lines will adapt which I think is a good thing

I bet the couple in question was seeing how far they could push RC and now they have found out

I've been on over 25 cruises and can never remember having any major problems that were not address promptly by the onboard crew..alot has to do with how you present your concern to the staff
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Admiral

The only problem I have had worth mentioning was on the Enchantment of the Seas a couple years ago. I had requested upon check in that kids NOT be allowed to charge with their sea passes. My youngest (9 at the time) lost his and went to the pursers desk for another. They did not block the charges on the new card. He went to the arcade and found his card worked and promptly ran up $140 in game charges. It was the last night and I went to the pursers desk to check the status of my bill and was alarmed to see the charge in the arcade. I politely asked that they remove the charges as I had requested the kids not be able to charge. The girl on duty said she would have to talk to the manager and he came on duty at midnight. I wrote a letter at the time and asked her to give it to the manager respectfully asking that the charges be reversed.

When I got my bill under the door in the morning there was a credit for the full amount. 8)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:20 PM
Admiral

I think that folks are putting the wrong spin on this. Put the complaints aside for a moment.

What I find interesting is that RCI is demanding that anything negative about them be removed or amended on these cruise web sites. Now that is pure BS. I wonder what Paul Motter told RCI when they called him.

So be careful what you say or you just might be the next one to get banned on RCI.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Check out the same thread on chit chat, for some other opinions....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 20th, 2008, 01:53 PM
First Mate

Dave: Interesting slant to the question

On headline alone I was all for the ban, but upon reading the article (which in turn seemed a little slanted to the passengers) I see Irish Shark's point. There are some customers you will never be able to make happy and a parting of the ways makes sense, but not banning them over posting their thoughts on a message board. Unless they signed a non-disparagement clause with Royal Caribbean, the cruise line should not be able to block them from posting. This site even has a cruise complaints board. After all, opinions both bad and good are why we come to these boards. There are scammers out there and there are those who are not scammers but who just love to complain. Their complaints may well have been legitimate and just the result of bad luck, but after a point you just decide whether the activity is worth the risk of annoyances. For me it’s easy because it takes a lot to make me complain in the first place and you can triple that when I'm on a beautiful ship in an azure blue sea. Let’s hope they fare better on NCL.

April 1, 2006 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 days to the Southern Caribbean

October 8, 1984 - NCL Sunward II - 3 day cruise to the Bahamas
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Admiral

Yes, there seems to be a concensus here.

They were not banned for merely posting negative comments but for continuing to do so after compensated then then seemingly proud of the fact that they complained their way to credits and discounts.

Some people can never be happy. I think some even go with the intention of finding things wrong to complain about.

These are the types that like to make a scene at the pursers desk or in the dining room. I bet she wears a Moo-Moo.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Some people can never be happy. I think some even go with the intention of finding things wrong to complain about.

These are the types that like to make a scene at the pursers desk or in the dining room. I bet she wears a Moo-Moo.
I agree with you DTW some folks look for things to complain about.

As long as I am not banned from RCCL.
But then again why would I be banned I don't complain and I love RCCL!!!!

You hear that Mr. Adam Goldstien!!!!!!! I LOVE RCCL!!!!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:37 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen
My parents were on the Celebrity Horizon years ago when it had Legionnaires disease (SP?) Two days into a 7 nite Bermuda cruise all passengers got off in Bermuda where put up in hotels overnite and were flown home the next day of course on Celebrity's expense. They all received a FREE cruise to be used within 2 years. The complainers took it further wanted more then a free cruise however the case was settled and nothing else was given.

For my parents they did not care they enjoyed 2 days on the ship and overnite in a beautiful Bermuda hotel and cruised the following year FREE.

Some of these complainers must have flunked 5th grade math. Either that or they are incredibly self-centered. In cases where everyone on the ship has endured the same misfortune, a reasonable person would realize that whatever they feel entitled to must then be multiplied by the number of passengers aboard to arrive at the cost of their "entitlement".
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm2005

Unless they signed a non-disparagement clause with Royal Caribbean, the cruise line should not be able to block them from posting.
After having spent way too much time reading here and there about this case, I suspect that even if Ms. Moran had signed a non-disparagement letter she would either have forgotten or not care.
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeythyme
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm2005

Unless they signed a non-disparagement clause with Royal Caribbean, the cruise line should not be able to block them from posting.
After having spent way too much time reading here and there about this case, I suspect that even if Ms. Moran had signed a non-disparagement letter she would either have forgotten or not care.
Was it Moran or Moron?

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ok with all that said....would you inject your opinion, with a letter to RCI, to complain about this couples actions? Here is that part of the article....

Some went so far as to contact Royal Caribbean’s president and chief executive, Adam Goldstein to complain about the Morans getting any compensation at all.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 20th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Admiral

I think the Morons should be compensated for the raw sewage in their cabin.
However when they got their 20% compensation from RCCL they were happy and booked the next cruise. So now they got $500. on top of the 20%.

Quote:
ship’s hotel director apologizing for the inconvenience and offered the couple a 20 percent discount on their next cruise. The Morans felt that was fair compensation and went and booked their next cruise with the line.
RCCL did the right thing in banning them from cruising with them. I would have done the same.
Out of 6 voyages the Morans had 5 complaints.

Quote:
birthday greeting being delivered to the wrong stateroom to her husband being locked out on the balcony for three hours because the door latch jammed
Also the article stated...

Quote:
Feisty Brenda Moran is certainly one not to hold back her opinion
Maybe Mr. Moran needed three hours on the balcony without the feisty Mrs. M

I am glad they got some compensation for the raw sewage and also glad they are banned. I would not want to find myself on a RCCL ship with Feisty Mrs. M.

ALso these are public boards where cruisers are free to state their likes/dislikes/issues/problems on any cruiseline. That is what I thought anyway.

I feel sorry for the cruise ship staff that have to deal with people like this.

Good luck to NCL! The Morons are coming!

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old May 20th, 2008, 10:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ms_Kalamity

I think the Moron's should be allowed to complain on these boards, so that RCL and NCL and whoever else they sail with can keep track of their comments. Then SUE the "Moron's" for slander!

GO RCCL!!

Independance of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas, October, 2007
Serenade of the Seas June, 2006
Old May 20th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream-Caribbean-7/13/2014, Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:46 AM
Admiral

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas