Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Been on the Sovereign 3 times and will be on with PH in September. Lucky enough to be on one time when the clock was working.

If the OP comes back: We've been on 7 different cruise lines on 20+ ships over 30+ cruises. Every cruise has been different, but all have been great because we don't let minor problems bother us.
I'll make you a deal. Spend 5 nights on a river boat on the Yangtze River in a cabin just a tad bigger than a walkin closet. Where the bathroom is the shower. Where we had our suitcases open on the two chairs in the cabin because there was only enough storage for a couple handerchiefs.
Where the 2 beds were about 3 feet wide with about 2 feet between them. We could only walk between them one at a time to get to our suitcases.
Do that and I'll give you complaining about the Sovereign. (I'm just kidding a little bit).
Old May 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I fogot, I do have a complaint about the Sovereign The cruise really sucked! Back in 2001 when I was still married I got so drunk on rum on the Yellow Bird party boat in Nassau that I got drunk, puked in the bathroom and passed out. I woke up to my wife dressed for formal night eating room service and she wouldn't even sleep with me. Horrible day. The next four times on the Sovereign I went without her

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

I love Sovereign!
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11
Oasis Dec. 2009
Allure Dec 2010
Carnival Dream 3/11
Monarch OS 8/11
Freedom OS 12/4/11

Old May 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I fogot, I do have a complaint about the Sovereign The cruise really sucked! Back in 2001 when I was still married I got so drunk on rum on the Yellow Bird party boat in Nassau that I got drunk, puked in the bathroom and passed out. I woke up to my wife dressed for formal night eating room service and she wouldn't even sleep with me. Horrible day. The next four times on the Sovereign I went without her
hahah.....almost the same situation here.......My husband and I went on the Yellowbird boat......drank our share,but apparentally,my husband had more......we got back to the ship......I went to get my nails done and told him I would meet him at the Champagne Bar.........well,he never showed up........I rang the cabin several times......no answer...........I went there and there he was SOUND ASLEEP......(and stayed there all night)
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Admiral

I agree with DTW and others. I have posted before about a cruise I had on the SOTS. It was a last minute (really last minute) booking. We got the last available cabin-all the way down, all the way forward, right by the anchor (made for some noisy moments). I got the cabin at such a bargain rate that I didn't care. It went to the Bahamas-Nassau, Lucaya, private island, places I wouldn't ordinarily book. Everything just worked out perfecty. Took my 18 yr old son as a hs graduation present. He loved it !(surprisingly). Spent a great day at Atlantis among other things. They pulled out of Nassau at 1 am and had a fantastic deckside BBQ. I liked the ship so much that I bought a SOTS hooded jacket the last day at sea, the only time I have ever made such a RCCL logo purchase. It always brings back great memories of a great cruise and great ship. I am sorry that she is going to be retired from RCCL and that some have had a less than exemplary experience on this ship. I can only think good thoughts about The Sovereign.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old May 28th, 2008, 11:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtropic
I agree with DTW and others. I have posted before about a cruise I had on the SOTS. It was a last minute (really last minute) booking. We got the last available cabin-all the way down, all the way forward, right by the anchor (made for some noisy moments). I got the cabin at such a bargain rate that I didn't care. It went to the Bahamas-Nassau, Lucaya, private island, places I wouldn't ordinarily book. Everything just worked out perfecty. Took my 18 yr old son as a hs graduation present. He loved it !(surprisingly). Spent a great day at Atlantis among other things. They pulled out of Nassau at 1 am and had a fantastic deckside BBQ. I liked the ship so much that I bought a SOTS hooded jacket the last day at sea, the only time I have ever made such a RCCL logo purchase. It always brings back great memories of a great cruise and great ship. I am sorry that she is going to be retired from RCCL and that some have had a less than exemplary experience on this ship. I can only think good thoughts about The Sovereign.
I'd say you have the 'cruiser mentality'.

Old May 29th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
The reality is, for most, that they expect perfectionism and/or constant excellent service. That is not possible.
Perfection is never possible. BUT.. I think it's very reasonable for cruisers to expect constant excellent service.

Heck, all the cruise lines ask for "excellent ratings" on their comment cards. In fact RCI is well known for their dining staff downright BEGGING for exellent grades on passenger comment cards.

There's no doubt many things can happen to negatively impact a cruise experience, but my own feeling is there's no really no excuse for anything but excellent service.
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

She's going to be retired from RCCL?? Oh no That was my childrens first cruise.
Sensation '99, '04, '08
Triumph '99 & '03
Victory '00 & '02
Imagination '01
Fascination '05
Navigator Sept '05, Jan '09, Mar 10
Valor Aug 6, 2006, Sept 2010
Adventure 10/06
Elation Nov. 30 2006
Majesty OS June 8 2007
Glory Dec 07
Destiny 8/09, 10/11
Oasis Dec. 2009
Allure Dec 2010
Carnival Dream 3/11
Monarch OS 8/11
Freedom OS 12/4/11

Old May 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadLockCruiser
She's going to be retired from RCCL?? Oh no That was my childrens first cruise.
Sister Monarch is coming to replace her in PC. No worries! 8)

PS It was my kids first cruise too.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcicruisers19
Been on the Sovereign 3 times and will be on with PH in September. Lucky enough to be on one time when the clock was working.
and even luckier to be going on it with ME!!

SS is actually going to another division of RCCL..........Pullmantour cruises outta Spain..........they seem to get all the old ships........some Celebrity ones plus they will be getting Monarch and Majesty too........(they alreayd have Empress)..
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Beginner

We just got back from our SOS cruise. 4 days of joy! All our wait staff were excellent! Sure there was a few minor problems but they were so small that I can't even remember them now. At times the elevators were hard to get but that can be anywhere. We would catch a smell in the corridors every once in a while. This was our 2nd cruise on this ship.

Coco Cay was wonderful. My daughter and husband went snorkling for the first time and they were awe struck at what they saw.

What really topped offf our trip is when we found out that SOS first launch was 12-18-87, my daughters birthday! So one of the pictures has that date on it and naturally we had to have that one.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 11:33 PM
First Mate

[quote="Dave the Wave"]Come on guys! Quit bashing my favorite ship You are calling her old, dirty and lacking in service. Let us not forget when put in service in 1988 she was then the largest purpose built cruise ship ever constructed.

Hey, DTW, you think you got troubles? My favorite ship is Holiday!
But seriously, DW and I sailed on SoS last August and our main complaint was that it was only 4 days. On this cruise we formulated our "100 miles per day" rule. We will travel 700 miles for a 7-day cruise, but never again for a 4-day. We did it because we had 50,000 Royal Points and all we had to pay was taxes and tips. Debarkation was a mess, but we liked everything else.
But far be it from me to gripe. Holiday is less than 500 miles from us and it is a 5-day on October 6th. Probably our last chance at the old "super liner" [yes, that's what she was called in 1985].
Sovereign of the Seas 2007
Carnival Fantasy 2008
Carnival Fascination 9/14/09
Freedom of the Seas 11/28/10