Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
Quote:
How can they be wrong if you bring the wrong documentation?

Obviously you didn't provide what was required otherwise you would have been allowed to board.

Do you live in OH by any chance?
See now... thats where we differ. I NEVER said during all this that we didn't make a mistake. We did. Unknowingly but.. that's a given.

But a viable OPTION was presented to us by the line to resolve the problem. And I feel we satsifactorly provided that option. They don't. In there lies the matter of interpretation. I don't think this is actually as cut and dry as one might like to think.

I'm really not twisting anything here. This is what happened. And so far... the only official answer I got to this situation is from a woman with something less than a pleasant attitude behind a counter at the pier apparently not willing to work with me as well as others as I came to find out. Did she have that opportunity to resolve this? I don't know. That's one of the things I'm trying to understand.

In any case. If I didn't think I had a legitimate complaint here, I wouldn't be bothereing you fine folks with it.

And no. I don't live in Ohio. 1074 miles round trip according to the handy dandy google maps. And you know what? It was within 1 mile! I was impressed!
What interpretation?
You admit that it is your fault yet the compensation offered (even so the cruise line is not at fault) is not enough for you?

Where is your accountability in this whole thing?

The OH remark was in jest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtiki2005
I would have taken the 75% offer. Lesson to be learned.
I agree. It was more than the cruise line had to do.
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon
We find it a little disturbing that so many of the posters are so unsympathetic towards this man's predicament. As if they were never at one time novice travelers. Some perhaps even a little vindictive on behalf of the line.

Some leeway could have been made, no differently than when we went ashore and inadvertently did not take photo identification with us. We were prevented from reboarding until the matter could be resolved with security but the matter was resolved.

As customers of this line, we strongly suggest that they re evaluate the circumstances surrounding this case not only to review their own boarding systems but also to take into consideration the man's unique case.
I am not unsympathetic to the OPs predicament I am unsympathetic that he did not do research yet researches for a place to voice his discontent after the fact and I am unsympathetic that the OP feels that the cruise line owes him more than what was offered.

OP says I am a novice traveler and I screwed up but I still want to get my money back.

We were all novices at one time. When I started cruising I did not have the internet with its vast information available. I needed to make a gazillion phone calls to get everything in order. But I did it as many others.

And there is also a difference: I knew when I goofed up and didn't expect a hand out.

While I am very sympathetic that the OP could not cruise I am also a realist and do not agree that the cruise line is at fault here.

I do not play false PC (political correctness) just for the satisfaction of people who look for support disregarding their own short comings and do not hold much for accountability.

OP had RCI to help, a travel agent to help, the department of Homeland Security and the internet.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 24
Default

Wow! Lets not get into any arguements here folks!

Ok let's nip this in the bud... Lets go back

I DID do my internet research and THOUGHT I had what was required. It was NOT the hospital certificate I presented but an official document from the state of Pennsylvania that said Birth Certificate on it. Where I went wrong was what I thought the actual certificate sitting in our fire safe box for many many years, was in truth only a legal notification from the state of Pa that it existed according to the fine print. Who knew.

That fact was pointed out to me only at the pier. And I'm not disputing that so lets put that one to bed. Clearly an error on my part. Not due to lack of internet research or RCI ok?

"OP says I am a novice traveler and I screwed up but I still want to get my money back. "

That's just not a true statement. I'm saying I provided the LEGAL OPTIONAL DOCUMENT THEY requested at that time as alternate proof to resolve this issue, but was denied boarding anyways only because of a minor formatting error out of my control. And some common sense and logic should of been applied here. That's all.

Look, FL_Cruiser64 I just feel this was handled improperly. Period. I'm here looking for knowledge & answers to help my cause. Not sympathy. And I'm looking for a reasonable solution to this issue. Not a hand out GEES! If I've offended you in some way by doing this, please accept my apologies. That was not my intention.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 23
Default

Hipshot, you seem to have regained your sense of humor and for that I commend you. A word of advice, just get a passport, in hindsight maybe you'll never use it but at least you'll have it. Although word of warning, they'll want an official birth certificate for that too. I myself was born in PA, and had to send away for an official one before I could obtain my passport many years ago. The fancy one from the hospital with what I thought was a raised seal was nothing more than a souvenir.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
Wow! Lets not get into any arguements here folks!

Ok let's nip this in the bud... Lets go back

I DID do my internet research and THOUGHT I had what was required. It was NOT the hospital certificate I presented but an official document from the state of Pennsylvania that said Birth Certificate on it. Where I went wrong was what I thought the actual certificate sitting in our fire safe box for many many years, was in truth only a legal notification from the state of Pa that it existed according to the fine print. Who knew.

That fact was pointed out to me only at the pier. And I'm not disputing that so lets put that one to bed. Clearly an error on my part. Not due to lack of internet research or RCI ok?

"OP says I am a novice traveler and I screwed up but I still want to get my money back. "

That's just not a true statement. I'm saying I provided the LEGAL OPTIONAL DOCUMENT THEY requested at that time as alternate proof to resolve this issue, but was denied boarding anyways only because of a minor formatting error out of my control. And some common sense and logic should of been applied here. That's all.

Look, FL_Cruiser64 I just feel this was handled improperly. Period. I'm here looking for knowledge & answers to help my cause. Not sympathy. And I'm looking for a reasonable solution to this issue. Not a hand out GEES! If I've offended you in some way by doing this, please accept my apologies. That was not my intention.
You don't offend me at all. I am way to easy going to be that easily offended. I am just having an argument with you in regards to

- does the cruise line owe you anything at all
- if they do how much?

You say you are looking for a reasonable solution. 75% of a future cruise fare wasn't reasonable enough for you. What would you like to have? 100% refund?

As you said: it was your fault. So what, in your opinion would have been reasonable enough to make up for your mistake?

What do you want from RCI?
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 24
Default

What do I want?

Simple.. A definitive answer.

I'm not convinced I was 100% at fault here. They provided me with viable options. I tried to produce to the best of my ability the documents they requested to resolve this at the time. They asked for my Child's State Certified Birth Certificate with a raised seal on it to resolve this issue. I produced that document. We should of been aboard that cruise. It's that simple.

But...They didn't like it by no fault of my own. And that decision alone cost me plenty. And until I'm convinced that what I produced is NOT exactly what was required by them at the time, I intend to pursue this to a reasonable conclusion. Whatever that ends up being.

I don't think that is too much to ask.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:37 PM
PH8 PH8 is offline
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ocala,FL
Posts: 221
Default

I would think a faxed copy of the certificate with a raised seal wouldn't have been enough.......after all, the seal doesn't "raise" on a copy...

Since your TA wasnt on the ball,you should had gone to www.rccl.com to read up on what you needed(PLUS it does tell you in your cruise docs)..

You see it really is no one's fault but your own,that you didnt have the right documents.......Take that 75% off and run with it..........you are very lucky to get that







Before Leaving Home:
Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship. Caution: The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice.

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have them available when necessary. These appropriate valid travel documents such as passports, visas, inoculation certificate and family legal documents are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country and may be subject to fines. No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

Sea Travel Only (before June 1, 2009)
For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a Passport (valid or expired), valid U.S. Passport Card or State or Provincial Enhanced Drivers License is highly recommended.

In the absence of a Passport, U.S. Passport Card or State or Provincial Enhanced Drivers License (when available - this secure drivers license will denote identity and citizenship) or any other Department of Home Land Security approved Identification / Citizenship document(s), a birth certificate (original or certified copy), plus a laminated picture ID card including photo, name and date of birth issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required.

U.S. and Canadian citizen children ages 18 and under will be expected to present a birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county or municipal authority.

Note:
Baptismal paper and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable.


A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship.

For U.S. Naturalized citizens, in the absence of a passport, Naturalization papers (either original or notarized copy) plus a laminated picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
What do I want?

Simple.. A definitive answer.

I'm not convinced I was 100% at fault here. They provided me with viable options. I tried to produce to the best of my ability the documents they requested to resolve this at the time. They asked for my Child's State Certified Birth Certificate with a raised seal on it to resolve this issue. I produced that document. We should of been aboard that cruise. It's that simple.

But...They didn't like it by no fault of my own. And that decision alone cost me plenty.
And until I'm convinced that what I produced is NOT exactly what was required by them at the time, I intend to pursue this to a reasonable conclusion. Whatever that ends up being.

I don't think that is too much to ask.
No. Not THAT decision cost you. The fact that you didn't bring the required documentation cost you. RCI may just have tried to help you TO GET YOU ON THE SHIP.

Now you make it harder for the next person to get any help whatsoever.

Let me tell you that a faxed copy does not show a raised seal. To make matters worse it said that it was a 'certified copy'. There are different certified copies, some with a raised seal and some with a stamp, some without anything.

You are so focused to blame the cruise line while they were trying to help you that you totally forget that the only one responsible for proper documentation is you.

In my opinion, and thats what you asked for, you shouldn't get anything since you failed to bring and produce proper documentation. Everything else is just a mangled mess of an attempt to help a cruiser without proper documentation.

You didn't get insurance (which every CVP and every TA ask if you would like to have it).

The offer of 75% of a future cruise fare was an in kind offer which the cruise line does not have to offer. You should have taken it and called it a day and learn from that.

Wish you good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH8
I would think a faxed copy of the certificate with a raised seal wouldn't have been enough.......after all, the seal doesn't "raise" on a copy...
BUT THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY ASKED FOR!!!!! For cryin out loud.. WHY ASK FOR IT THEN? I PRODUCED IT!! I mean what was all this... an exercise in futility? Gees.. What part of this is not understood? It's not that complicated... why do we continue to twist this and make it something its not?

Holy CRAP! I feel like I'm back at the pier! ARRG!!!

Hey wait a minute... am I? Do you folks work for RCI or what?

I give up.... am I alone here? Man!
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH8
I would think a faxed copy of the certificate with a raised seal wouldn't have been enough.......after all, the seal doesn't "raise" on a copy...

Since your TA wasnt on the ball,you should had gone to www.rccl.com to read up on what you needed(PLUS it does tell you in your cruise docs)..

You see it really is no one's fault but your own,that you didnt have the right documents.......Take that 75% off and run with it..........you are very lucky to get that







Before Leaving Home:
Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the required travel documents you will be asked to provide prior to boarding the ship. Caution: The requirements described below are required by government regulations and policies. They are subject to change without notice.

It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have them available when necessary. These appropriate valid travel documents such as passports, visas, inoculation certificate and family legal documents are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country and may be subject to fines. No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation.

Sea Travel Only (before June 1, 2009)
For domestic travel which includes: the Bahamas, Bermuda, Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico, a Passport (valid or expired), valid U.S. Passport Card or State or Provincial Enhanced Drivers License is highly recommended.

In the absence of a Passport, U.S. Passport Card or State or Provincial Enhanced Drivers License (when available - this secure drivers license will denote identity and citizenship) or any other Department of Home Land Security approved Identification / Citizenship document(s), a birth certificate (original or certified copy), plus a laminated picture ID card including photo, name and date of birth issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required.

U.S. and Canadian citizen children ages 18 and under will be expected to present a birth certificate issued by a federal, state, provincial, county or municipal authority.

Note:
Baptismal paper and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable.


A voter registration card or Social Security Card are not considered to be proof of citizenship.

For U.S. Naturalized citizens, in the absence of a passport, Naturalization papers (either original or notarized copy) plus a laminated picture ID card issued by a federal, state, or local government agency is required.
Ouch!
Pretty darn clear.

Reply With Quote
  #41 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH8
I would think a faxed copy of the certificate with a raised seal wouldn't have been enough.......after all, the seal doesn't "raise" on a copy...
BUT THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY ASKED FOR!!!!! For cryin out loud.. WHY ASK FOR IT THEN? I PRODUCED IT!! I mean what was all this... an exercise in futility? Gees.. What part of this is not understood? It's not that complicated... why do we continue to twist this and make it something its not?

Holy CRAP! I feel like I'm back at the pier! ARRG!!!

Hey wait a minute... am I? Do you folks work for RCI or what?

I give up.... am I alone here? Man!
Do I have to work for RCI because I feel that the accountability lies with you? I don't think so.

I think you twist things. You just totally want to disregard the fact that you did not follow proper procedure and bring the required documentation but instead focus on some mambo jumbo which may or may not have happened at the pier.

I think PH8 just gave you something to read. It is pretty clear.
Reply With Quote
  #42 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:23 PM
PH8 PH8 is offline
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ocala,FL
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Cruiser64

Ouch!
Pretty darn clear.

Sure is.......well,at least i think so......
Reply With Quote
  #43 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:46 PM
ScurvyDog's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southeast Of Disorder
Posts: 2,364
Default

Who did or did not do what can be debated forever but from the viewpoint of someone who does not have a dog in this fight a 75% cruise credit was a fair offer that the cruiseline was not obligated to extend. That seems to indicate they were trying to find a reasonable resolution. Consider it a lesson learned and move on. Life is too short not to cruise. 8)
__________________
54 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle, Breeze, Sunshine X2
6 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Reply With Quote
  #44 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 971
Default

PH is absolutely correct. Get a passport for travel. Bob
Reply With Quote
  #45 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:00 PM
rinker250's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northwest
Posts: 2,881
Default Re: Keep Plugging away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmunk

Now I have to ask:

We have all read the original post, WHY do people think they need to re-print the post? What are they worried others got lost and have no clue what was said?

STOP filling pages with repeat info!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was thinking the same thing.
(I reposted his position/message to 1) maintain continuity with his thought 2) because my message is off topic and is relevant only to Texasmunk's post.)
__________________
Dan
Peace through superior firepower.
Reply With Quote
  #46 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Dave the Wave's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St Petersburg, Florida
Posts: 6,349
Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave
Default

I used to use the BC I got from Leon County Memorial Hospital. it was fancy and had my little foot prints on the back. When I took my kids one time without their mom the lady at the counter politely told me that is not an official BC and with a smile gave us our cards and said have a great cruise. The next time I had the "Certified Copy"

Now I have a passport but kids still do not but I do have the certified copies for them. It has also been advised here and there to have a note from the absent parent that gives permission to take them. I am divorced but they are my kids, look like me and we have the same last name. I have never been asked for that letter and quit bringing it. Now my kids are also Diamond members.

If there is anyone that should have been responsible, I would start with your TA. Knowing it was your first cruise, she should have walked you through this step and even asked to see your documents. I would have!

I don't think it was ever mentioned but since you mention Bahamas and you are on the RCI board, I have to assume Sovereign from PC since you drove. You also mention a weekend. Was this only a 3 day cruise?? Then the money lost was not too bad. Hope you had a good weekend on the beach anyway. I would have found the closest bar and started drinking hard! 8)
__________________
Dave the Wave AKA- Diamond Dave


Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Reply With Quote
  #47 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 19,662
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

Rinker, I have to say I agree with you about quoting an entire post when someone responds. We all read it the first time.

While I will agree, 75% towards another cruise is generous, I also think the op, needs to get a response from RCI, for closure, whether we agree with him or not.

You always learn from one cruise, things to do, or, not do for future cruises. In this case it was the worst case scenario.
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #48 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 336
Default

Your compassion is showing folks, and it is not very pretty.

Why execute the messenger?
Reply With Quote
  #49 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
I don't think it was ever mentioned but since you mention Bahamas and you are on the RCI board, I have to assume Sovereign from PC since you drove. You also mention a weekend. Was this only a 3 day cruise?? Then the money lost was not too bad. Hope you had a good weekend on the beach anyway. I would have found the closest bar and started drinking hard! 8)
Your deductions are correct. To some the loss may be minimal. To us.....disasterous. I guess its all relative.

Actually I'm a simple beer drinker ... But that day... I learned the virtues of adding Crown Royal! We didn't see much of Saturday..
Reply With Quote
  #50 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,772
Default Re: New to cruising - denied boarding - anniversary ruined

Hipshot,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
1st, understand we are not world travelers. In fact we barely ever get out of town. But I wanted to fufill a 20+ year promise to my wife and finally give her that anniversary cruise she wanted. This was our 27th.

We understood that a Birth Certificate was legal proof enough for citizenship in the US for a weekend Bahamas cruise. And it is. And I thought I had the proper documentation. At least it was 29 years ago when we went to the Bahamas. But with homeland security the way it is, apparently it is not good enough anymore.

What I thought was our birth certificates from the State of Pa. that were handed to us by our parents many many years ago were actually only legal notifications that they were on file in the state. Ok, my mistake. Who knew. Fortunately, there were options in place to resolve these issues. We were told we could either have the state of PA. fax our certified certificates to the pier or produce our childs certificate because our names were on it. Here is where the things got sticky.

Although some states do, I found that the state of PA. would by no means fax our birth certificates anywhere! When I explained our situation and then questioned why, I was told thats the way it is. Some reason! I did find out however during our argument with the state, that in the 80's they started to send out those certifed birth cetificates. My kids were born after the 80's and I thought ok We're saved.

I was told at the pier they would except my daughters state certified birth certificate with the raised seal because our names were on it. I called my daughter and had that document faxed to the pier. Even though it said the 'Commonwealth of Pennsylvania' across the document, It had the required certified raised seal, our names were of course on it, and it said 'This is a certifed copy of the origional birth certificate' right on it, it was DENIED at the pier by the employee because the letters 'PA' were not next to our names!

I asked her to clarify this, even though I presented the optional legal document required for us to board that boat, simply because of the way the document was formatted, which I had no control over, I was being denied our anniversary cruise.

I was out of options, My wife a blubbering mass crying for over 3 hrs sitting in a chair. And even though they don't accept hospital certificates I had my daughter fax it anyway because it DID state our names with the letters 'PA' next to our names. But... since it was not considered "legal'... it was ALSO denied.

Ok, I understand the homeland security thing. But I felt this was obviously being carried too far! There was absolutely no common sense or logic being applied here. And when I asked the woman at the pier for a superior to talk to, I was DENIED that as well!!!!

At this point I realized there was NOTHING I was going to able to do to resolve this. So I asked for my luggage to be returned and of course my money refunded. I was given a number to call. When I asked for my refund I was denied that as well! The BEST they were going to be able to do is give me a 75% credit on another cruise? WHAT? They wouldn't let me on the FIRST one!!! We didn't miss the boat, THEY WOULDN'T LET US ON!!! And to top it off, when our luggage was returned eventually, it was destroyed. Sodas and water we were told to pack on the recommendation of our husbands travel agent, well two of the sodas were literally torn open at the seams and the clothing & suitcase ruined. Something that just couldn''t happen by accident.

I never felt more like a second class citizen in my life! And never felt more abused. What STUPIDITY we just endured! Not only after a 10 hour drive, was our anniverary ruined, but I was stuck in Florida without a hotel room, and out my cruise money besides. After checking into a dive for a hotel room, we tried to salvage was was left of our weekend.

My point to all of this is yes, we made a rookie mistake. And there were options in place to resolve it. But when we provided that legal document that was supposed to solve all this, it was denied anyways! A poor judgement call from an employee at the pier in my opinion. If we would of not provided the legal documentation necessary to board that boat, I would of went home calling this a lesson learned. But we DID provide what was legally necessary and was denied anyways in the name of homeland security? That's all we kept hearing.

If they have an issue with the state of PA, well then they should take it up with them! 2 letters missing in the wrong place? Give me a break!

I have written letters to my travel agent, the CEO of the cruise line, Filed a formal complaint with the line, And written a couple of lawyers familiar with the cruise lines, and posted on a few sites. It's been 11 days. As of today , no one has yet responded satisfactorly.

I spent alot of time and money preparing for this trip, And alot of fuel getting there. And I don't think a 75% coupon for another cruise that I apparently cannot get on anyways is satisfactory compensation for what ridiculous bureaucracy we endured. NO US citizen should be treated in this manner.

We of course are not blameless, but we feel we provided the viable legal option they requested. It may be homeland security rules they are citing, but it was the interpretation of those rules by a cruise line employee that ruined our vacation.

If we were wrong, and I'm missing something, if I'm going after the wrong entity, someone please let us know. I will drop this. But if we DO have a legal leg to stand on and you can help us, also please let us know. Thank you

In any case 'BE SURE TO HAVE THE PROPER DOCUMENTATION' seems to be a relative term. As a rookie , you can try but be prepared to be denied for ANY reason!

Another friend taking the same cruise was also met by this woman that day. And even though she had taken 4 previous cruises this year with Royal, THIS TIME she was being required to provide a marriage certificate to track her name change! Are you kidding me? She told us the ONLY reason she got on board was this rule was not a wrtten rule as of yet and could nor be enforced. Are they making this stuff up?

Oh and as far as PA is concerned. we were told that apparently if you KNOW a congressman, all it takes is a phone call because THOSE folks got their Certificates faxed in 10 minutes! Umm... It's not WHAT you know...but WHO! No kidding.

I'm not complaining. I feel the way we were treated was wrong. If this helps ANY new cruisers out there avoid the nightmare we endured with Royal, then this was worth posting.

And I won't fault the line for the poor judgement of one employee. Mistakes happen. Of course I will give the line every opportunity to resolve this satisfactorly and try to book again. And will post the results.

So far... not yet.

To be continued...
I'm very sorry that your mistake ruined your plans for a honeymoon cruise.

But now that you have had a chance to blow some steam, try to look at this from the cruise line's perspective.

>> 1. They provided you with information in advance that stated clearly what documentation you needed to satisfy U. S. immigration laws. It was your responsibility to obtain that documentation in time for the cruise. It is not their fault that you did not know that your receipts were not legal birth certificates.

>> 2. The cruise line really is between a rock and a hard place on this one. If the cruise line had let you aboard, the cruise line would face a very stiff fine for each member of your party for bringing you back to the United States without proper documentation.

>> 3. Practically, the cruise line could not resell your cabin at that point in the embarkation process.

>> 4. Legally, the cruise line has no obligation whatsoever to provide any compensation to you. The Contract of Passage for your booking states this quite clearly.

Overall, I think that the offer of a credit of 75% of the cruise fare toward a future cruise is very generous indeed. I agree with the suggestion to book another cruise!

I also agree with the suggestion to get passports before the start of your next cruise, as there are two very compelling reasons for doing so.

>> 1. Passports will expedite entry into foreign countries and reentry into the United States because the immigration agents have computers that can scan the OCR typeface on a passport. If you have alternate documentation (birth certificate and driver's license), they have to type the information into their computers manually.

>> 2. If you need to leave the ship and fly back to the United States due to an emergency at home, you will need a passport to do because alternative doucmentation is no longer acceptable for passengers arriving in the United States by air. U. S. embassies and consulates can issue a temporary passport valid for one return, but the need to go to the embassy or consulate in person -- which may be on a different island, or even in a different country, in the Caribbean -- to obtain it could delay your return by two or three days.

So overall, it's much easier to obtain a passport before you go.

Norm.
Reply With Quote
  #51 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 287
Default

I feel bad for you brother, I hope it works out for you. Take that 75%, save at little here and there for the extra 25% and do it again. You went through all this effort for your wife I think ? Try it again, she will love it .
Reply With Quote
  #52 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 336
Default

The simplicity of this matter is this

1: The passenger did not know of nor have the right documentation required for boarding.

2: Knowing this, the Line gave him an alternate with which to successfully board.

3: The passenger produced this alternate

4: Suddenly the alternate was no longer acceptable.

5: Boarding denied.

6: Passenger is rightfully upset with this situation and posts on our board.

7: Members then criticize passenger for his lack of knowledge

8: BOD members decry that 75% refund is sufficient.

9: Although passenger is out 25% + of fare he feels he did meet the criteria of the alternate requirements and should not be financially punished.

10: We agree
Reply With Quote
  #53 (permalink)  
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 388
Default

At the end of the day you made a mistake by inappropriately preparing your documentation for the cruise. What you may not be aware of is that the cruise line is required to ensure your documentation would meet the standards set fourth by Homeland Security. When cruises return to port in the US (at the conclusion of a cruise); you actually have to physically go through US Customs at the pier; so if the cruise line were to allow you to board with inappropriate documentation; then you could have been in bigger trouble when attempting to re-enter the country when the ship returns to port. Keep in mind that NONE of Royal Caribbean vessels are registered in the USA; as such, as soon as you step foot on their ships; it's like stepping foot in the country by which the ship is registered.

In my opinion, Royal Caribbean has zero responsiblity to give you anything in return for your error; however, I believe their jesture of a 75% coupon was more than fair.

This would be no different if you were attempting to fly to the bahamas on USAir and when you got to the airport the airport agent denied you boarding to the plane due to inappropriate documentation.

Hope that's not too harsh; however, that's just the way the facts fall.
Reply With Quote
  #54 (permalink)  
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 24
Default

Ok lets put it another way.

Say the next time you present your passport, A LEGAL document that should be acceptable. All of a sudden they deny YOU!!!

Even though you KNOW its all legal, they are denying you for a wrong character, a missing letter, whatever technical error you want to come up with. Would U be visibly upset? Of course you would. Why? Because its a legal document, you know its ok, and it was approved by the entity issuing it.

And now besides, just because the LINE just doesn't like the look of your passport, not only are they gonna deny you boarding, but keep your money besides! It wasn't YOUR fault they didn't like the document, you did the right thing, you didn't make it, but your taking the hit anyway.

Gee who WOULDN'T be upset!

Well the same thing happened to me. I presented the legal document THEY requested as a option and was denied simply because of a percieved formatting issue that was already approved by the legal entity issuing it.

Same Senario. Just a different document.

If you not going to accept the legal document you request, then simply DON"T MAKE IT AN OPTION!

NONE of this would of been an issue if I would of never known about it. I would of just went home shaking my head wondering why I was so stupid.

But I didn't come up with this idea........ THEY did! Then they did not accept it when it was presented to them. Not because it wasn't legal. But because of its interpretation. It's that simple.

NONE of this would of happened if THEY simply didn't make it an option! And they shouldn't have if they were not going to accept it anyways.

Was the document legal? YES! At least according to the state of PA. The entity issuing the document. But the LINE interpreted it otherwise.

So would your passport be legal as well? Umm..
Reply With Quote
  #55 (permalink)  
Old May 30th, 2008, 08:18 AM
PH8 PH8 is offline
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ocala,FL
Posts: 221
Default

Listen....you just dont get it.,..and no one on here seems to get thru to you.,..........so good luck getting all your money back and THEN some for ALL your inconvenience
Reply With Quote
  #56 (permalink)  
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH8
Listen....you just dont get it.,..and no one on here seems to get thru to you.,..........so good luck getting all your money back and THEN some for ALL your inconvenience
Well your right about one thing... Somebody doesn' get it.

Anyway, My whole intent here was to gather infomation to support my cause. Not get into a political debate. And even though a few of you disagree with me, I somewhat accomplished that goal. Some of you actually presented me with some helpful information and points. And for that I'm grateful.

And even though some of you were stubborn with your positions, you were still unable to convince me I was wrong. And even though it wasn't your intent, that was helpful in it's own regard. Because if YOU couldn't convince me after as hard as you tried... well, maybe I have a chance to resolve this with the line afterall.

Again thank you to all. 8)
Reply With Quote
  #57 (permalink)  
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH8
Listen....you just dont get it.,..and no one on here seems to get thru to you.,..........so good luck getting all your money back and THEN some for ALL your inconvenience
Well your right about one thing... Somebody doesn' get it.

Anyway, My whole intent here was to gather infomation to support my cause. Not get into a political debate. And even though a few of you disagree with me, I somewhat accomplished that goal. Some of you actually presented me with some helpful information and points. And for that I'm grateful.

And even though some of you were stubborn with your positions, you were still unable to convince me I was wrong. And even though it wasn't your intent, that was helpful in it's own regard. Because if YOU couldn't convince me after as hard as you tried... well, maybe I have a chance to resolve this with the line afterall.

Again thank you to all. 8)
It has nothing to do with being able to convince you or not. You came here to seek opinion but only opinions which support your side of the story.

Your passport example was the most pathetic example you came up with.

Reading your posts I don't wonder anymore why people like Brenda Moran have a breeding ground.
Reply With Quote
  #58 (permalink)  
Old May 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
PH8 PH8 is offline
Senior Member
Cruise Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ocala,FL
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Cruiser64
.

Reading your posts I don't wonder anymore why people like Brenda Moran have a breeding ground.
Reply With Quote
  #59 (permalink)  
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 24
Default

Some people make hard to be polite & gracious. GEES!
Reply With Quote
  #60 (permalink)  
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipshot
Some people make hard to be polite & gracious. GEES!
I was polite while stating my opinion. But if our civil conversation is reason for you to become "unpolite" I can just imagine how "polite" you were at the pier.

With every post you dig yourself a hole deeper and deeper. I just hand you the shovel.

Shovel....dig....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
50, arrived, birth, boarding, caribbean, carnival, celebrity, certificate, couple, cruise, denied, minutes, oasis, refused, royal, torn

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Denied access johnthed0g Tech Support - Help using our Message Boards 6 October 1st, 2010 07:16 PM
denied boarding on cruise - Celebrity Mercury niceguy514 Celebrity 33 February 16th, 2010 02:24 PM
Denied Boarding - Any Suggestions? BigDream Carnival Cruise Lines 4 April 7th, 2008 12:51 AM
access denied Phyllbo Ask CruiseMates Staff 3 May 29th, 2002 08:33 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:40 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1