Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Taking your own luggage off ship question

If you choose to not put your luggage out the night before your last night , then how do you get off the ship? I mean, do you still go by a color code ? Or do you just make your way off the ship on your own?

Also, can you leave your luggage in the cabin while you have your last breakfast?

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Cruise Maniac

You need to sign up for carry off..........you will be the first group called off........it is supposed to be carry on size..........you must vacate your cabin by 8am,but if you want to carry off your luggage,you probably wont have time for breakfast......
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

People who opt for self-disembarking are usually off the ship first. You must preregister to do this and leave promptly when called. It just wouldn't work for people who are hauling luggage to be clogging the elevators and stairs while others are trying to leave.

As long as the cabins are vacated by 8 a.m. (unless self-disembarking people are called before that time), you may leave your luggage there while you eat breakfast.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Familiar Face

This did not work for us on the last cruise--they failed to call the self debark people and started to call by the tags and deck --then they closed off the elevators except 1 and then my husband got mad--he called the desk and the guy said they forgot---so when they finally allowed us to leave we had to go down 5 flights of stairs because the elevators were too full with deck 7 --that will be the last time we do self debark-----the guys on deck 7and 8 beat us and they were empty handied----
made all of us mad as we had 3 people and 5 bags ---which if it had happened as is was suppose to it would have been no problem but to have to carry 5 back down 5 flights of stair was us called for--NEVER AGAIN
lkathy
Old June 2nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Like I said,it is SUPPOSED to be carry on suze bags...not ones that are too big to handle going down stairs.........people take advantage of it and haul large suitcases.....as the group that goes right after the self disembark, we find ourselves behind people that cant handle all the luggage.......they wont let you down the escalators in the terminal.That creates a backup at the elevator....

Lately,all the cruises,we have disembarked by 7am,so like I said, no time for breakfast,if you want to be the first ones off..
Old June 2nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On the Conquest last summer, in Galveston...this did not go very smoothly. We were all sent to the theater, where we waited for quite a while. Then we left in a pack!

We each had a large suitcase and, we piggy backed our carry-ons, on it. The ramps leading to the terminal were difficult to maneuver for us. The only reason we even wanted to do this was because, we had an early flight.

If you have lighter baggage, and won't we all with the new baggage regulations, it's much easier to deal with. Even,with that being said..we would not do it again.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to dancetilyadropx3

My family did this on our last cruise because of an early flight. It was a bad idea having us three kids and my parents. It was a hassle.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM
First Mate

I think they created a monster with this self-disemark thing. At first a few people did it, now there is a hugh line of people draging luggage, barking at each other. I don't get it ? We eat breakfast and just get off the ship, never had a problem.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I may be the only one who did not have a problem with self disembarking. Last may my wife and I sat in our stateroom and drank coffee and tea. When they called our number; we went to the elevator; took it down to deck one and walked right off the ship. No hassles, we had two roller bags and two duffle bags.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old June 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Yikes! All we will have is a bag and a small suitcase (the size that you can bring on the plane with you).

I was just trying to avoid the hassle of taking out what you need for the next day. Maybe it is easier to give them your bags the night before?

My flight is not until 2:30 pm (Miami) (where we also dock) so I guess I'm not in a rush. I'd like one more breakfast in the Windjammer!

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas
Old June 4th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I don't see why you couldn't walk off the ship with just those 2 bags, when your number is called, or, after you have eaten and relaxed a bit, and others have gotten off, you can just walk off and catch a cab to the airport.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 6th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sounds like I'll turn my bags over the night before!

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Trip has the right idea. With only the luggage you've described, I'd just keep those bags, and walk off with them when your number is called. NO PROBLEM.

Have a great cruise.

Ken
"SkyMaster"
Old June 7th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've done it on both the last two cruises, which were both on Princess. I suspect it partly depends upon which ship you're on and the port that you are disembarking to. It went very quickly at both Los Angels (San Pedro) and at Vancouver, BC. We're both 66 years old, but in reasonably good shape. If you are not in fairly good shape you might just want to wait for the regular color-code system. We also had no problem with breakfast, but had to get to the dining room earlier than at least one of us would have liked. But, we still had good service in the main dining room.
Old June 7th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Passenger

PH8:

You mentioned that people were not using the escalators.

On our last cruise I noticed that there was a huge line up for the elevators in the terminal. It was avery small elevator it seemed.

No one was using the escalators.

I did not know if they were not allowed to use it, or just did not feel safe taking the luggage down the escalator. I for one do not think that I would be able to manage it..
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The size of the "carry-off" bags people use on disembarkation day has been getting bigger & bigger. It used to be you packed almost everything and just left out a set of clothes for the next day and packed your jammies on your carry-off bag.

These days, though, people are choosing to carry off bigger bags.

I personally don't see it as a major problem as long as you don't have so many bags that you are a hindrance to other people trying to get off the ship.

When I am in your shoes, I also just tkae the color tags they assign me and walk off the ship when my color is called.