Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Royal's Response about Consent Letter for minors

If anyone is interested... I asked Royal Caribbean about the consent letter for taking my two nieces ages 14 & 18. Maybe this info will help others.

This is what Royal Caribbean responded to me in their e-mail about the notarized letter...

Dear Ms. XXXX:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child.

A notarized letter of consent is not required for guests age 18 or older traveling with you.

Ms. XXXX, thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Regards,

Ana Customer Service Representative

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cutiecat Send a message via Yahoo to cutiecat

I called Royal two days ago and was told "An 18 year old in the cabin of someone 25 or older is considered an adult and does not need a letter of any kind."

Hope this helps as well.
*Carnival: Victory 5/13~5/20/2012; Glory 3/13~3/20/11, Freedom 7/26~8/2 09; Destiny 10/30~11/3 '08, 3/2~3/9 '08; Victory 4/15~4/22 '07; Valor 3/5~3/12 '06; Holiday 7/31-8/4 '04; Imagination 6/24~6/29 '02 *Celebrity Equinox 5/14~5/24 '10 *RCI Brilliance OT Seas 6/10~6/22 '08 *Regal Empress 6/16~6/18 '05
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiecat
I called Royal two days ago and was told "An 18 year old in the cabin of someone 25 or older is considered and adult and does not need a letter of any kind."

Hope this helps as well.
Royal gave you wrong info then.

The rule is (and I have done it) that all reservations with 'kids' under 21 but above 18 must be attached to a reservation to an adult and the adult has to take responsibility (guardian ship) for that reservation.

There is no need for a person between 18 and 21 to be in a cabin of an adult above 21.

I have done that several times over the last few years and the very last time on March 1. Unless the rule changed since March 1 the info they gave you is incorrect.

You can take over guardian ship during your online check in process. The reservations must be pre-linked (at time of booking though).

When doing the adults check in it will ask you if you take over responsibility for reservation # xxxxxxxxxx and the 'kids' are listed.

Very easy process.

Old June 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
First Mate

FL Cruiser,

I'm still confused...if the person is 18 a non family member do they need a notarized letter? Also, this person will be staying in my cabin, so what do you mean the adult has to take guadianship?

Thanks,
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:45 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal
FL Cruiser,

I'm still confused...if the person is 18 a non family member do they need a notarized letter? Also, this person will be staying in my cabin, so what do you mean the adult has to take guadianship?

Thanks,
No.

My son just brought two friends with him. All were 19. No letter required. Just make sure the room(s) is/are linked to your reservation and when you do the online check in you become the responsible party.
Old June 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Royal...

No. The 18 year old doesn't need the letter.

"A notarized letter of consent is not required for guests age 18 or older traveling with you."

That came directly from Royal Caribbean.

Explorer of the Seas

Majesty of the Seas
Old June 6th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Royal - you have nothing to worry about since the non-family member is over 18 and is staying in your cabin. That whole rule of "guardianship" is in place to basically avoid the "spring break syndrome" where college kids were booking cruises without adults and basically unfortunately running wild