Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Passenger

Default more tips about the Mariner of the Seas and general stuff

Hi everyone.

To add to my list of tips from last week.....

1. Take pens, asprin, cold meds, sea sickness meds etc. It is offered on the ship but a 24 asprin was about $9. Ladies only.....if you are prone to yeast infections, take the meds with you. You are very likely to get one with all the swimming/sweating and I couldn't find any med on the ship. I didn't look too hard but it wasn't in the general store where the other meds were. You are going to want to write things down (yep, I was suprised about this also). My husband actually said that he wished he brought a highlighter to highlight activities in the compass. On a side note, take your compass with you when you leave the room. I can't tell you how many times, we went back in the room to look at the compass.

2. Take a water proof watch. The only clocks I saw on ship were at the pools. You will need to know the time since there are so many activities on board plus you will definately need one on shore. Don't want to miss the boat. I brought my i-pod thinking I would use that but I found that I left it in the room more times than not. Very unusual for me because it is always in my ear.

3. At Port Canaveral....I didn't see any restrooms in the parking area all the way until after security. Sorry, blue Ford Mustang from Georgia. Your tires may smell a little as I really had to pee after that 45 minute wait in the line to drop off the bags.

4. When watching the parade on the ship, do not stand under the bridge in the middle of the promanade. Some of the performers do things up there. From the claps of the crowd, I think I missed some good stuff.

5. Bring an extention cord especially if you are bringing chargers. Our chargers wouldn't fit because the plug was really close to the dresser. There wasn't enough room to fit the charger. Plus there are only a couple of plugs near the dresser. I didn't see plugs near the bed. The plugs in the bathroom were high up and your appliance may not have a long enough cord. There were reading lights next to the bed though so I didn't need my reading light I brought.

6. There are hangers in the closet so you don't really need to bring them. In my room which was one of the cheapest - if not the cheapest- there were 17 hangers and another 6 with clips for pants for a total of 23.

7. The gold and silver that is sold on the ship (usually near the windjammer) is overlay. It is not solid. It was very pretty and will probably last forever but I know some people bought it thinking that it was solid silver/gold.

8. We waited until the end of the cruise to buy any pictures so that we could pick the best ones. I'm not sure if we missed any great deals or not but for some reason our best pics ended up being the last formal. If we would have bought the first few nights, we would have not been able to get the best ones. (Budget restrictions ugh)

Jamaica

1. If you do not have bags, you can walk right thru when coming back on ship. You don't have to go thru the search.

2. Lobster Daves - I heard on other forums how great he was. The lobster was great but he tried to charge us $60 for two. We talked him down to $40 but....make sure you get a price first. I'm sure we could have gotten it cheaper but we didn't try. Also - unless you really want the real Jamaica, don't go there. It is right next to Margaritiville (have to either go around the huge fence on the beach and get wet or go back out to the road, go left and into the next entrance) but it is a world away. Poverty, light drugs etc. Everyone was very nice but if I wouldn't have spent a year in Africa, I probably would have not gone in. It isn't necessarily a place for cruise tourists.

3. If you want to go on the Robots (the local mini busses) they are cheap. 65 J (or about $1.50 or $2 a person)one way. From the boat, taxis were charging $8.00 a person. But trying to find one to get back can be a pain. Nobody believes that a tourist wants a robot. They all try to get you on a taxi that is normally 4 times as much. If you are at the Dunn Falls, just walk back down to the main road and flag one down. They may pass you by thinking you are just waving hello. But finally one will stop. You backpackers out there know what I am talking about.

4. Dunn Falls - if you aren't climbing, don't go. We went in and paid our $15 US. When we saw how many people were falling and how many people were there, we decided against it. The beach part is ok but it isn't worth paying $15 a person to use.

Cayman Islands
1. One thing to do - Stingrays with Captain Marvin's. You can also get a stingray tour from your ship but CM was cheaper and it went to two other snorkeling places. The 1st place wasn't as nice but the 2nd was very nice. If you go, you may want to take sea sickness pills. It isn't too bad but if you think you may get ill, go ahead and pop a pill. I got a little queasy and I normally do not. I learned a trick for the masks - if your spit isn't working to keep it from fogging up, have the Captain Marvin guys put some Palmolive Dishwashing liquid in the mask. They had a bottle on the boat. It worked like a charm.

2. There is a convience store (like a nice 7-11) next to Senor Frogs. They have 2L of cokes to take back on the ship. Also meat pies and other things to eat in case you don't want to pay a lot to eat. A BIG PLUS......air conditioning and tables.

Happy Cruising everyone!
Sponsored Links