Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Belize and Key West Shore Excursion Question

I have only planned one shore excursion for our cruise this August, which is the Dolphin Swim at Cozumel. As this was very expensive, I was looking for less expensive alternatives for Key West and Belize, which are the other two stops on our cruise. Can anyone offer some recommendations. My party includes my husband (48) and myself (44) and our daughter (20) and son (17). Would we be able to get off at both of these ports and just walk around to do some shopping/sightseeing, or would we have to know where we wanted to go and take a taxi? I was thinking of the Sun Beach excursion at Belize for just a day at the beach but would we be able to go back to the ship at anytime or do we have to stay the whole 5 hours (estimated trip excursion time) at the beach? If we do the Sun Beach excursion, can anyone tell me if there is plenty of shade areas or at least umbrellas for your chairs and what, if any, water activities (i.e. jet skiing, parasailing) might be offered.

Thanks for all your help!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

In Key West you can just leave the ship and walk around and see the sights. That's what most do in Key West. It's a great place to explore.

In Belize you will be tendered and in a tourist area on the mainland at Belize City. You can explore, but Belize is not as safe as many ports. On most all excursions you will not be able to return easily to the tourist area. I'm not familiar with the excursion you mention, but it will probably require a boat ride to a beach so I doubt you could leave that early. There are no proper beaches on the mainland, they are in the cayes or smaller islands off shore. Beautiful beaches though.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Admiral

There are lot's of neat places to see and go within walking distance of the pier in Key West. You can also take the Conch train for a trip around the island. There is also a ship wreck museum close to the pier, my favorite place to visit in Key West.

In Belize, I really enjoyed the cave tubing excursion. A very safe excursion and I found to be fascinating! The cave tubing excursion ranks as one of the top shore excursions I have ever done! Don't wonder outside the tourist area off the pier of Belize unless you are with an organized excursion, if you get lost or take a wrong turn in Belize City, you could end up in real danger. The tourist zone, however, is very safe.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old June 18th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I love Key West, and it's really enjoyed on your own, at your own pace. You can take a cab over to Southern Most Point, to be as close to Cuba, as you can and still be in the U.S.A.

Take the Conch Train, from the center of town, and see the lay of the land, and all the sights. Do a pub crawl..Go to Hogsbreath saloon...

Go To Mel Fisher's treasure Museum, and look at all the gold and emerald treasure..just amazing! Visit the Hemmingway House, and see the 10 toed cats and a bit of history...

My best "Trip Tip"...if you are a shopper like I am, there is a great store here called, Fast Buck Freddys...Enjoy the port!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Passenger

Key West: The Conch Train is always a winner and can be booked there rather than ahead of time. Then just get a map of Key West and enjoy the walk. Lot of info online.

Belize: As a previous poster said you tender and it's not safe to wander alone. You'd be better off doing an organized shore excursion and I agree the cave tubing is fabulous. We booked one on our own
cave-tubing.com and it worked out just fine.
Old June 26th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to nlk23

I went to Belize last Christmas with my two kids who are about the same age as yours. It wasn't that cheap but we all had a great time doing the Zip line and cave tubing excursion.
Old June 28th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Key West in my eyes is just a great place to wander around and enjoy all it has to offer beit quaint shops or great food, the museum is wonderful too ! Snorkelling can be iffy in Key West and IMHO would steer clear of that activity. There are just too many other ports of call that offer great snorkelling.

In Belize, cave tubing is my choice and I use Major Tom who is a well know tour operator with years of experience in the caves. Good Tour at a fair price !

Have a GREAT CRUISE !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Cave tubing in Belize for sure. In Key West walk around or take the Conch Train. Hit the Hog's Breath and Capt Tony's, and maybe even Kevin's Irish Pub. And of course, my old haunt (yeah, right !) the clothing optional Garden Of Eden.
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82