Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Passenger

Default Wine?

What is the best way to get a couple of bottles of wine on the ship? When I say a couple I mean Two, not a case. What would happen if they catch you.

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Admiral

I took a bottle with me. Just walk right on with it. They aren't going to take it away from you. As long as its not on thier wine list and you tell them its for a special occasion. no problem. The cabin steward even brought me a cork screw. I was not charged for any of this.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I can only speak for Galveston, but it kind of depends on when you cruise. I've taken bottles on without problems most of the time, but during spring break they confiscated the wine as they had extra security just to look for liquor. I understand the problems they have trying to keep liquor off those particular weeks. So to answer you, I guess it depends on a lot of factors. Yes we got the bottle back when we disembarked.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

I dont know how some just carried it on and got away with it.

I know people that packed in their suitcase and had it confiscated........

If they do take it away from you,you will get it back at the end of the week...

The best way to get it on is buy a boxed wine and pack it.
Old June 26th, 2008, 11:34 AM
First Mate

Default Wine

I have always brought a couple bottles of wine on board in my checked luggage with no problem....until, this year. The bottles were taken out of the luggage and a note was left that we could pick it up when we returned.
It was spring break so maybe there were more strict.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old June 26th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Yeoman

They have become a lot more strict on this. Try to put it in your carryon, and see what they do. They may let you carry it on. I think they are looking harder in checked luggage these days since that is scanned on the ship. The carry on luggage is scanned by outside securities company, so they may not care as much. We had friend carry a case of beer on, and they let them walk right through with it. The hard alcohol is what they care more about. If they see it in your checked luggage, they will call you down to open your bag and they will take it. You will get it back at the end of the trip.
Old June 26th, 2008, 02:45 PM
First Mate

So checked luggage or your carry on....which is the better way to bring on your choice of beverage?
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Checked in............
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH8
Checked in............
They are checking the checked luggage much more than they use to. They are catching people more now with checked luggage. It is only a matter of who cares less now. Ship staff or the carry on security people. I don't think checked luggage is the best way to go anymore.
Old June 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have to ask.....why go through the possibilty of wet clothing from broken bottles, or embarrasment at check in, for around $40.00 for the cost of the bottles onboard?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
I have to ask.....why go through the possibilty of wet clothing from broken bottles, or embarrasment at check in, for around $40.00 for the cost of the bottles onboard?
I actually agree. Wine might be more expensive than shore side prices, but the drinks are really cheap. I am use to paying $8-$10+ per drink, so the prices on board are a bargain. The only thing I can think of is that some people want their own wine because the wine list onboard sucks. And that it does. And they charge $40 for a $10 bottle of wine. But the rest I don't get.
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM
First Mate

Default Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
The answer is simple...I don't drink $8.00-10.00 wine ($32.00-40.00 on board). I bring nice wine and it is packed with bubble wrap in large freezer bags and inside of a small roller bag so chance of breakage is next to none. If the wine is found (as happened in March) it is no big deal as I got it back at the end of the cruise without any embarrasment.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old June 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Yeoman

I have a padded wine carrier. (Inexpensive at a wine shop) It holds 2 bottles of wine. I wrap my wine in bubble wrap, put it in the padded wine carrier, place rolled up socks around the neck of the bottle (it's empty space) and pack it in the center of my checked luggage - making sure there are clothes on all sides of the carrier. I want all the padding I can get! I always put it in the checked luggage and have never had a problem. Just don't forget to pack the wine opener in there as well! You don't want to pay a corkage fee. Also, we pour a glass and take it to the dining room with us at dinner.
Old June 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, checked in is purely my opinion.........knock on wood, havent had to go to the "naughty room" yet..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzla
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH8
Checked in............
They are checking the checked luggage much more than they use to. They are catching people more now with checked luggage. It is only a matter of who cares less now. Ship staff or the carry on security people. I don't think checked luggage is the best way to go anymore.
Old June 27th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Familiar Face

Default Liquor

I have never gotten liquor confisgated until I sailed the Norweigan Pearl last October. It was quite embarassing! I tried to reason with the bar manager, saying that I only brought one small bottle for the room and he can look at my bar bill at the end of the cruise. I ALWAYS drink mostly in the bars and at the pool. He would not listen to reason. I also mentioned that people bring on 4-5 bottles of booze, I can understand that.

NCL's liquor prices are high, IMHO.

Anyway...... I have had success with my one little bottle on RCI, HCL, Carnival and Celebrity. On Celebrity, we bought bottles at San Juan and brought them on board, no questions. Is RCI cracking down, too?
Old June 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yes, if they see the bottles in your bags when you come back to the ship from the ports, they will take them from you till the end of the cruise.
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Beginner

Send a message via Yahoo to ernesthinton
Default Re: Wine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk246
What is the best way to get a couple of bottles of wine on the ship? When I say a couple I mean Two, not a case. What would happen if they catch you.
[b]Getting the bottle of wine through the airport will be more of a task. The cruise ships do not check your bags as most cruise lines are registered under for foreign flags such as Princess Cruise Lines which is a satellite company under the Carnival Corporation. This is the reason why each ship has to go through a foreign port before entering the United States. This is a requirement under the Passengers Services Act which was ratified by congress in 1884. This act has been on the house and senate floor on many occassions to be amended or removed, but has never passed and continues to stay in effect today.

Your main problem will be corkage fees. If you buy a bottle of wine that requires uncorking, you will have to pay a corkage fee of $15.00 per bottle if you want that bottle served in the dining room. However, a way around that is to bring a cork unscrewer yourself. This would save you the $15.00 corkage fee. I suggest that you purchase the cork unscrewer after you get off the plane as it is a sharp item and may cause you security risk at the airport. You may have your taxi cab driver stop you buy a local wine shop on the way to the ship. [/b]
Old July 7th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Wine?

[b]Getting the bottle of wine through the airport will be more of a task. The cruise ships do not check your bags as most cruise lines are registered under for foreign flags such as Princess Cruise Lines which is a satellite company under the Carnival Corporation. This is the reason why each ship has to go through a foreign port before entering the United States. This is a requirement under the Passengers Services Act which was ratified by congress in 1884. This act has been on the house and senate floor on many occassions to be amended or removed, but has never passed and continues to stay in effect today.

Your main problem will be corkage fees. If you buy a bottle of wine that requires uncorking, you will have to pay a corkage fee of $15.00 per bottle if you want that bottle served in the dining room. However, a way around that is to bring a cork unscrewer yourself. This would save you the $15.00 corkage fee. I suggest that you purchase the cork unscrewer after you get off the plane as it is a sharp item and may cause you security risk at the airport. You may have your taxi cab driver stop you buy a local wine shop on the way to the ship. [/b]
[/quote]

Since this question was asked on a Royal Caribbean thread, I'll assume that's the line that OP is cruising, so references to Princess/Carnival are totally irrelevant. It doesn't matter a whit where the cruiseline is registered - it's their ship and their rules that apply.

RCI has a very strict policy about no alcohol of any kind, including wine, being brought on board. There is no corkage fee as you are simply not permitted to bring it on board, much less to the dining room.
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:56 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Well, looks like you have the answer - IF you still want to try - I would
carry it in my carry-on luggage - would NOT want to chance breakage
and can you imagine the smell in your clothes for the whole trip!! OMG!
Guess you all will have to either abstain or "pay the piper".
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Wow RCCL doesn't allow wine. Here is the policy. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custom...33&faqType=faq

Onboard Policies

Q: Can I bring liquor (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten...uct_Policy.pdf. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

Carnival is different they allow one bottle of wine per person:
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Liq...on_Policy.aspx
Liquor and Beverage Policy

Bringing Alcohol On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, guests 21 years of age and older only may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, on board only during embarkation at the beginning of the cruise. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should you wish to consume this wine in the main dining room; $14 corkage fee per bottle in the Supper Club. Guests may bring a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages. All prohibited alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne or excessive quantities of non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation.

Please Note: All guests must comply with TSA guidelines for transporting liquids.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Admiral

On a side note I found out about wineskins on my trip to Italy I wanted to bring wine home on the plane without breaking. Check it out http://shop.ftscontent.com/main.sc
Here is a picture.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994