Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Beginner

Default Empress of The Seas

We sailed the Empress in '06 from Philly to Bermuda and loved it. Now I can't find the ship, and am really disappointed to see that RC no longer sails from Philadelphia or NYC. Would anyone be kind enough to explain exactly what happened? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Beginner

What makes it even a bit more puzzling is the below quote I just came across, which was made in anticipation of the 2007 season. So, what did happen?

“The success of the 2005 and 2006 seasons have proven to us that Philadelphia is an important port for us. We are pleased to continue our relationship with the Port of Philadelphia and Camden,” said Adam Goldstein, president of Royal Caribbean International.
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Empress of the Seas

Hello thesween,

Unfortunately, Empress of the Seas was sold.

As you can see from my cruises below, I was on Empress of the Seas. The cruise we sailed on her was an 11-night cruise and that particular cruise was picked up by the Celebrity Cruise Lines when Empress of the Seas was sold.

elf

Big Red Boat
Carnival Valour 2004
Carnival Jubilee 2005
RCCL Empress of the Seas 2006
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 2007
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2009
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2009
Old July 5th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Beginner

Thanks, elf.

I managed to track down the Empress to a RCCL subsidiary in Spain, where the ship is still in service. We really liked the Empress because, unlike the mega-monster ships of today, she was smaller and more intimate. After having sailed on many of the monsters, I thought the Empress' size was perfect.

What I've yet to discover is why RCCL completely abandoned Philadelphia. By all accounts, it was a lucrative departure location for them. After speaking with some crew on our last cruise from Philly, it seemed pretty clear that they always left there with a full ship.

Any cruise where we can avoid flying nowadays is far more attractive to us. Flying has become such a headache that cruising without it is great. I flew as recently as a month ago on business. It is awful, and it's not getting any better.

Sadly, RCCL's decision has cost them at least two customers. Surely there are others.

Sween
Old July 5th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Admiral

I would be patient...all of the cruiselines are evaluating how to position their ships to maximize revenue but that's usually 18-24 months out...as the price of fuel keeps going up and air fares and gas keep rising, PHL might look appealing in the future
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
I would be patient...all of the cruiselines are evaluating how to position their ships to maximize revenue but that's usually 18-24 months out...as the price of fuel keeps going up and air fares and gas keep rising, PHL might look appealing in the future
It pains me physically to say it, Venice, but I'm getting too old to be patient! All kidding aside, we love Bermuda and could probably do it once a year. The Philadelphia departure was beyond easy.

Within three hours of home, we could have bags checked, car parked, us checked, and be on the pool deck with drinks in hand watching the big jets fly right over us as they approached PHL. It really is a shame this option is gone.

Still being very nosy, I'd love to know why RCCL dumped this run.

FWIW, I actually worked for HAL when NYC was a major port for them. I was on the cruise staff of the SS Statendam circa 1981. Shortly thereafter, HAL abandoned NYC, including a relocation of its Marine Hotel Division and a number of high-paying jobs.
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Although Philly is not available right now, you could always find something out of Baltimore. It isn't too much farther to drive.

Just an idea.
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Empress of the Seas

Hi thesween,

I know what you mean about flying these days. It's a real hassle and it is becoming so expensive! Living in Bermuda, we have the same problem, so we try and get on board when cruise ships stop here. We did this last year on RCCL Grandeur of the Seas and we will do so again in 2009. What a pleasure that was!!

elf

Big Red Boat
Carnival Valour 2004
Carnival Jubilee 2005
RCCL Empress of the Seas 2006
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas 2007
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2007
RCCL Jewel of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2008
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 2009
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 2009
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesween
Thanks, elf.

I managed to track down the Empress to a RCCL subsidiary in Spain, where the ship is still in service. We really liked the Empress because, unlike the mega-monster ships of today, she was smaller and more intimate. After having sailed on many of the monsters, I thought the Empress' size was perfect.

What I've yet to discover is why RCCL completely abandoned Philadelphia. By all accounts, it was a lucrative departure location for them. After speaking with some crew on our last cruise from Philly, it seemed pretty clear that they always left there with a full ship.

Any cruise where we can avoid flying nowadays is far more attractive to us. Flying has become such a headache that cruising without it is great. I flew as recently as a month ago on business. It is awful, and it's not getting any better.

Sadly, RCCL's decision has cost them at least two customers. Surely there are others.

Sween
Unfortunately you have to get used to it. RCI is speeding up its sell off efforts. Initially the Sovereign Class was supposed to be gone by 2012 (Sovereign 2008, Monarch 2010, Majesty 2012). If the info I received holds true then the Monarch will be gone by 2009 and in 2010 with the Majesty leaving the Sovereign Class seizes to exist.
:evil:

The Vision Class should follow right after that.
Old July 9th, 2008, 09:47 AM
First Mate

I just sailed on Voyager and they told us that Legend of the Seas will be leaving the fleet at the end of 2009. The is attempting to make room for their newest fleet, sad though as Majesty was my first Royal Caribbean Cruise and I've sailed on her 5 times since, such a grand old ship!