Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Passenger

Default Back to back cruise

My husband and I have been thinking about taking a back to back European cruise. The ports are not THAT important. We would like to leave from Ft. Lauderdale to Europe and then from Europe back to Lauderdale? The two points in Europe would need to be relatively close to each other with perhaps a couple of days between. Doesn't even have to be the same cruise line. Date would probably be in March 2009 but that isn't a "for certain", price would probably dictate the date more.

We've looked into repositioning cruises and they are great, the only problem is the one-way air fare was more than the cruise. We even thought of purchasing round trip air tickets and only using one-way since it is cheaper but apparently there are problems with that. I believe a back-to-back would be less expensive than flying home from wherever!!!

I've tried doing some research but haven't come up with much. I am open to any cruise line at this point that can bring us back home.

HELP!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Captain

The mainstream lines that are sending ships to Europe in the Spring don't turn around and come right back. They are there to cruise European itineraries during the warm weather. So unless you want to come back on the "Queen Mary II," this isn't going to work. But keep the faith! If you price the cruise line air you might find a deal. Cruise line pricing is hard to beat for an "open jaw" fare and sometimes for a "one-way" ( and no, I don't work for the cruise lines ;>)
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie H
The mainstream lines that are sending ships to Europe in the Spring don't turn around and come right back. They are there to cruise European itineraries during the warm weather. So unless you want to come back on the "Queen Mary II," this isn't going to work. But keep the faith! If you price the cruise line air you might find a deal. Cruise line pricing is hard to beat for an "open jaw" fare and sometimes for a "one-way" ( and no, I don't work for the cruise lines ;>)
Thanks Robbie for the advice. I knew that the ships (with the exception of the QMII) didn't come right back but I was thinking of cruise over on one cruise line and perhaps back on another.

Appreciate your post.
Old July 5th, 2008, 11:52 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

I think you may have better luck towards the end of summer when the cruise lines are bringing the ships back to the Caribbean for the winter.
We are taking a B2B around South America and Cape Horn next Jan.'09.
This is a repositioning cruise, as well, starting in FLL and ending up in Cal.
There are three "legs" - we originally were going to do only the second from Rio to Val but after figuring in the excessive airfare, extra nite or two
in Rio, the very long flight, the jet lag and stress on our middle age bodies - the cost of adding another leg (from FLL to RIO) was a "no-brainer" plus we get an extra 2 weeks of cruising. I was totally shocked
when DH said "Go for it!". Good luck and hope you find what you want.
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrie Platt
I think you may have better luck towards the end of summer when the cruise lines are bringing the ships back to the Caribbean for the winter.
We are taking a B2B around South America and Cape Horn next Jan.'09.
This is a repositioning cruise, as well, starting in FLL and ending up in Cal.
There are three "legs" - we originally were going to do only the second from Rio to Val but after figuring in the excessive airfare, extra nite or two
in Rio, the very long flight, the jet lag and stress on our middle age bodies - the cost of adding another leg (from FLL to RIO) was a "no-brainer" plus we get an extra 2 weeks of cruising. I was totally shocked
when DH said "Go for it!". Good luck and hope you find what you want.
Sherrie, you're one of the lucky ones on the Mariner repositioning cruise. We checked into this and it was a little pricey for us and didn't want to be away from grandchildren for over a month. Sounds WONDERFUL though. Hope you have a great time.
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:57 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to NY Cruisin Mama

Thanks - still waiting for the grandbabies to arrive - my DD and son-in-law have just been married about 2 years so I think we have some time
before that happens. (And my DS whose 26/single BETTER NOT make
me one !!) Let us know what you decide to do. I really enjoy these boards
- has helped bunches in planning our cruise next year. Happy 4th!!