Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Yeoman

Default Baltimore, MD port questions

How long does it take to reacch the Francis Scott Keys bridge once you leave port at Balitmore?

How long does it take to go all the way through the Chesapeak bay - 'til you reach open water?

Is there anything of interest to see while sailing down the bay?
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Wow, I didn't even know RCL cruised from Baltimore. Think I'll check that out.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Yeoman

The Grandeur does mostly Bermuda Cruises from there but they also do Repositioning cruises in the fall.
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sailed out of Baltimore about 4 years ago - the end of October. My pictures of the Key bridge are daylight. I believe we left at 5 so it had to be less than an hour. BUT that is when they sailed out of Dundalk, so I would add another 30 - 60 minutes. It was late ehen we when over the Chespeake bay bridge/ Tunnel - around 10pm.
1 NCL
1 American Hawaii
1 Celebrity
Holland America 1/15/11
Old July 17th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Beginner

Going out of Port of Baltimore is wonderful. Locust Point is well organized and friendly.

To answer your original question, it takes about 1/2 hour to go under the Key Bridge. It takes about 2 hours (possibly 1 1/2) to get to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. It is between 10 pm and midnight when you get to the bridge in Virginia that is 1/2 underground and 1/2 over the water.

For 2008 and 2009 the Granduer alternates 5 night Bermuda cruises with a 9 night New England cruse to Portland and Bar Harbor Maine, Halifax, St. Johns, and Boston. It also does a 9 night Caribbean cruise to San Juan, St. Thomas, Samana, and Labada. All are wonderful cruises.

We've been fortunate to take all three cruises. We love this ship and love going out of this port.
Old July 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Passenger

My wife and I sailed out of Baltimore last fall. The only other cruise I had been on was out of Miami many, many years ago. The Baltimore port was a very nice experience. It was easy to find, parking was great and embarkation was a breeze. We sailed at around 4PM and reached the bridge quickly. Everyone cheered when we cleared it as from our vantage point it looked as though it would be close(even though I'm sure it wasn't.)

The first night, I remember waking up around midnight to bright lights on our stateroom ceiling. I looked out our window and there was another ship returning to port not more than fifty yards away from us. I guess the shipping lane must be pretty narrow until open sea is reached and the ships that pass eachother have to be pretty close.
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Beginner

I know what you mean about going under the bridges. I think the captian has said they have about 10-15 feet clearance on the Grandeur. I would assume other lines are similr.

If I knew how to attach pictures to this I'd attach one.[/img]
Old July 17th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Beginner

I know what you mean about going under the bridges. I think the captian has said they have about 10-15 feet clearance on the Grandeur. I would assume other lines are similr.

If I knew how to attach pictures to this I'd attach one
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Passenger

Thinking of taking a cruise out of Baltimore. Does anyone know how long it takes to get to the cruise terminal from the airport? What would a taxi cost?
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkdry
Thinking of taking a cruise out of Baltimore. Does anyone know how long it takes to get to the cruise terminal from the airport? What would a taxi cost?
Usually your cheapest option would be to get the transfers included from Royal Caribbean. Not certain about a cab price but they have been going up and up because of gas prices.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old July 22nd, 2008, 01:41 PM
Passenger

While it may be cheaper it probably won't be faster. Started taking cabs instead of getting the transfer because a few times we waited in line with 50 other people for over an hour for a bus.