CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   New cruiser: question about beds (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/353906-new-cruiser-question-about-beds.html)

katenotes July 23rd, 2008 10:20 AM

New cruiser: question about beds

Okay this is definately a new cruiser question but my fiance is wondering how the twin beds/convert to queen works. Is there a gap in the middle? Can you sleep in the middle? Are they comfortable? We just have an interior room to save money as we plan to spend most of our time out of our cabin, but it is our honeymoon and would be rather displeased if there was an uncomfortable gap in the middle of the bed. :oops:

Passrider July 23rd, 2008 10:45 AM

If you didn't know before-hand that they put two beds together to make the one, you would never know......no gap in the middle that I've ever noticed.

blueliner July 23rd, 2008 10:48 AM

Re: New cruiser: question about beds

Quote:

Originally Posted by katenotes
Okay this is definately a new cruiser question but my fiance is wondering how the twin beds/convert to queen works. Is there a gap in the middle? Can you sleep in the middle? Are they comfortable? We just have an interior room to save money as we plan to spend most of our time out of our cabin, but it is our honeymoon and would be rather displeased if there was an uncomfortable gap in the middle of the bed. :oops:

You won't even know it's actually 2 beds. The room steward will put them together for you before you arrive with queen sized sheets and there is no gap.

ToddDH July 23rd, 2008 10:54 AM

Katenotes,

Congratulations on your impending wedding!

I'm fond of saying the only "stupid question" is definitely the one that never gets asked.

As regards the beds, we find Royal Caribbean's to be extremely comfortable! They are actually very thin mattresses and if you lift the bed cover and look beneath them, almost like camp beds with aluminum legs. I can't understand how they can be so comfortable.

They're only slid together to make a queen (and while there should be a noticeable "crack" in the middle, there isn't; at least none that we could feel). I don't know whether they put something in the middle to eliminate the crack or more likely, whether it's the way they're made up when together. I'm sure the entire ambience along with the gentle motion of the ship (we were on the Explorer of the Seas a month ago) is the reason I have never slept so well as when we're cruising.

Best wishes for a grand honeymoon cruise!

Todd

katenotes July 23rd, 2008 01:08 PM

Thanks for the tip everyone! I'm so excited!!

cruzaddict July 24th, 2008 01:28 AM

Ok, maybe I dreamt this but I swear I read this somewhere...

The "mattresses" are double the twin size but when making up a "twin" bed, they are folded in half and placed on the frame - think of a taco shell. When making up the "queen" bed the two mattresses that come from the two "twin" beds are not folded and are stacked one on top of the other - think of a tortilla. This means that either size bed has a double thickness of that special mattress; double on the "twin" because of the foldover and double on the "queen" because of stacking the two mattresses.

Clear as mud???

Hopefully someone can confirm that so I don't wonder where my mind got it from. :-? Of course, this may just be on newer ships or another line. :-?

CA Cruiser July 24th, 2008 09:19 AM

Only once could we tell/feel the spilt. In our experience, the twin beds are pushed together and they put a queen matress cover on to make them seem like one before they put on the linen. If you ask for an egg crate to be put on, you really won't know their twin beds.

erikhag July 24th, 2008 09:51 AM

Maybe one of the RCI-experts can tell you not to worry but are you absolutely sure that the beds can be put together?

Maybe all beds in all RCI cabins can be put together but on many (most?) ships some of the insidecabins have beds which can´t be put together.

I´m sure you don´t have to worry about it and for sure someone will let you know!

Have a great cruise!

NY Cruisin Mama July 24th, 2008 03:20 PM

Well, congratulations and HAVE FUN !!! (hehe) :wink: :wink:

blueliner July 24th, 2008 03:32 PM

All the twin beds can be put together to form a single, queen bed. The cabin steward will pull the middle night stand out and move it to the side, push the beds together and add a queen sized mattress cover, put on queen sized sheets and bed spreads, and you will have a nice and comfy queen sized bed for your cruise.

Have a great cruise!

dottiel July 25th, 2008 09:53 AM

How ever they do it, it's the best night's sleep you'll ever have!

I have a hard time falling asleep but on a cruise the second (literally...it amazes my Dh!) my head hits the pillow I'm out for the entire night!

Partly it's the bed and the other is the rocking motion of the ship. Ya just can't beat it!

nutmeg1282 September 2nd, 2008 05:19 PM

i have a first time cruiser question to add to this. When we made or reservation I didnt see anywhere to request the queen, do we have to wait until we get there to ask for it or did i miss something?

ToddDH September 2nd, 2008 09:05 PM

Meagan,

I can't answer your question completely because the times we've cruise the beds has already been made up in a queen format (they're actually two single beds pushed together and made up with queen sheets, etc.). If per chance when you first board the beds are made up as singles, just contact your steward and he/she will make sure the condition is rectified long before you go to bed that evening.

Todd

Pootersdad September 3rd, 2008 07:40 AM

Twin/Queen Beds

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutmeg1282
i have a first time cruiser question to add to this. When we made or reservation I didnt see anywhere to request the queen, do we have to wait until we get there to ask for it or did i miss something?

Have your travel agent contact Royal Caribbean to get the bed configuration changed. We've done it several times. LOL

nutmeg1282 September 3rd, 2008 11:37 AM

we didn't go through a travel agent... i guess we will fix it on board if needed. Thanks! :D

SherryBabie September 3rd, 2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katenotes
Thanks for the tip everyone! I'm so excited!!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding and first cruise. You are in for a treat. Once you cruise, it is hard to go back to other modes. I personally cannot do the inside cabins b/c I get closterophibic (sp?) My husband and I are celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary so he got me a grand suite, I'm so excited, we're leaving on Friday.

Have a great cruise and welcome to an elite group! LOL

Sherry

valentinetti0 June 27th, 2012 12:13 AM

If you didn't know before-hand that they put two beds together to make the one, you would never know......no gap in the middle that I've ever noticed.

cals granny June 27th, 2012 10:11 AM

I make our reservation online directly thru Royal. You can request the beds be put together before your cruise. Log on to Royal's website and go into "View Reservation". This will take you into your "Vacation Summary". Scroll down to "Preferences & Requests". You will see "Room Arrangement". Click on "Modify" and will ask you "How would you like the beds in your stateroom arranged".
Enjoy your cruise!

rkome July 2nd, 2012 07:59 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I had no clue the beds were pushed together until my wife told me.

Not sure if you did, but on your RCCL booking, you can let them know you are on your honeymoon. My wife and I went on RCCL on our anniversary and we received an invitation in our stateroom for honeymooners/anniversary celebration party.

Enjoy your cruise!

FtlCruiseGal July 2nd, 2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzaddict (Post 1124364)
Ok, maybe I dreamt this but I swear I read this somewhere...

The "mattresses" are double the twin size but when making up a "twin" bed, they are folded in half and placed on the frame - think of a taco shell. When making up the "queen" bed the two mattresses that come from the two "twin" beds are not folded and are stacked one on top of the other - think of a tortilla. This means that either size bed has a double thickness of that special mattress; double on the "twin" because of the foldover and double on the "queen" because of stacking the two mattresses.

Clear as mud???

Hopefully someone can confirm that so I don't wonder where my mind got it from. :-? Of course, this may just be on newer ships or another line. :-?

Shucks! Now I am going to have to go on another cruise just to confirm this. I hate it when that happens.