Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Passenger

Default Explorer of the Seas - 9 days - Bermuda/Caribbean - NJ

Decided to skip the hassle/cost of airline tickets to Florida from NY and decided to a book a cruise departing from NJ. Wondering if there are any cruisers out there that have experienced the 9 day Bermuda/Caribbean cruise out of NJ. We booked for June, what was it like to leave from NJ? Any advise? Thanks for reading this post.

Lara
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think you made an excellent choice!!! Although traffic in/out of the pier can sometimes be a nightmare, I really enjoy the convenience of only driving two hours to get to NJ and my Royal Caribbean cruise - we live in NE Pennsylvania.

I've sailed on Explorer several times and have actually booked the same 9-night Bermuda/Caribbean cruise, but we're leaving May 14th. Our group is so big that we have the Unlimited Drinks Package, including top-shelf brands!!!

I absolutely LOVE Bermuda!!!!! St. Thomas and St. Marrten are really nice, too. I've been to San Juan so many times that I usually stay on the ship that day and take advantage of the cheaper spa prices.

Feel free to email me with any questions you may have - sharon_psu@hotmail.com
Norwegian Gem
Voyager of the Seas - X2
Empress of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Celebrity Horizon
Monarch of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Carnival Fantasy
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Passenger

Sharon,

Thank you for your reply. Did you drive to the port yourself or did you use a car/bus service? Also, you mentioned that you have large group. We have a group of 12 (possibly more). How many people do you need to get the open bar you will receive? When we mentioned a group discount to our travel agent she said since we were booking a year out, a discount would not apply. I never thought about inquiring about a perk other than a discount off the room.

Thanks, Laura
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Laura -

We drove to the pier twice, for both 5-night cruises. If I remember correctly, it cost us $15 per day, which is why we used a private service for our longer cruises.

The last time I checked you needed at least 45 people in your group to get the drink package.

Whenever I ran group trips my TA would get us a discount - actual we received one free cruise for each 8 cabins (double occupancy) booked. One time we had 18 cabins filled so we received two free cruises, the cost of which we divided among all cruises.

I hope this is helpful...
Sharon
Norwegian Gem
Voyager of the Seas - X2
Empress of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas
Celebrity Horizon
Monarch of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas
Carnival Fantasy
Old July 29th, 2008, 01:20 AM
Admiral

MiknLara,

Returned this past June 28th from the nine night Cruise on Explorer out of Bayonne to the Eastern Caribbean. We loved it.

You may want to read my review of the cruise on this website. Just click on Reader Reviews then Royal Caribbean, then on Explorer of the Seas.

I know you'll have a fantastic time!

Todd
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Passenger

Sharon, Todd,

Thanks for the reply. Sharon, sounds like you have been successful in forming large groups. Our group is comprised of family. I guess we need to get the word out to others to really increase our booking number and benefit from the perks you mentioned.

Todd, thanks for the info about your cruise out of NJ. I'll definitely check it out.

Laura
Old August 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
Beginner

Can anyone who has been on the 9 day cruise from Bayonne tell me at what is the earliest time you were allow off the boat on disembarkment day?
Taking this cruise in November.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM
Admiral

dish2003,

If you're asking this because of making a flight.......well, I hope not.

Disembarkation at Port Liberty is (for us at least) often the only really sore point (see my review of our latest cruise on this site:

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...explorer59.cfm

The ship is usually scheduled to dock at 6:00am but on this, our last cruise in June, it didn't dock until 7:30 or 8:00 (undoubtedly due to thick fog). Embarkation didn't commence until I think it was after nine.

They had so many walk offs that they didn't even get to the end of them until after 10:00am and even though we had one of the earlier colors called, we didn't disembark until around 11:00. For heavens sake, if you're flying out I hope at least you're going out of Newark, else it could turn into one of those "cardiac moments."

But believe me, in virtually all major aspects, it's an absolutely marvelous cruise! You will not be disappointed.

Todd
Old August 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
First Mate

When we arrived back at Port Liberty we were early (no fog...ulike the rest of the cruise, lol) by about 30 minutes or so.

We left our cabins early (before 8) and were in the lounge waiting for our color to be called. We were silver and one of the first off after the selfers.

We were off the ship by 11 and at the airport by 1230ish??? We had transfers included in our package so getting to the airport was not a problem.

We also had our TA book a later flight back to DFW which worked in our favor as in the past we have had to RUN to catch our flight!

Enjoy your cruise, you'll love the Explorer!

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean