Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Beginner

Default Booking 3 Passengers per room?

so, im trying to book a cruise on royal caribbean for 7 passengers.. but all of the 3 person capacity are out, and its kinda stupid to get a room for just 1 person since its the same price..

i called them and they say its not possible, but 2 years ago when i went on the carinval i was able to add a thrid person even tho the place was only for 2 person..

the only reason i'm asking is because my aunt n uncle has a daughter (my cuz) so i mean they cant leave her back, but the travel agents ive talked to all gave me the same answer.. i mean its not like we need an extra bed or anything, just another person in the cabin, but they arent all considerate about it

so am i out of luck? or can i do sumthing to make it possible?
Sponsored Links
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Admiral

bluecheezze,

The reason has to do with the maximum capacity the cruise ship is allowed to maintain within required safety regulations. There are 2 types of capacities for a cruise ship, double occupancy (which is 2 persons per stateroom) and the maximum occupancy (the total number of fare paying passengers allowed by safety regulations). The cruise line cannot sell 3rd and 4th persons in every cabin, only a certain number to keep the total fare paying passengers under the maximum capacity.

For example, let's take a fictional cruise ship from cruise line X. This cruise ship has 1000 cabins, with a double occupancy of 2000 passengers, and a maximum capacity of 2600 passengers. The cruise line seperates passengers into 1 of 2 catagories; 1st or 2nd passenger in a cabin, and 3rd or 4th passenger in a cabin. On our fictional cruise ship, the cruise line will sell 2000 berths in the 1st and 2nd passenger catagory, and 600 in the 3rd and 4th passenger catagory. Cruise line X will sell cabins allowing 3rd and 4th passengers in the cabin until the 3rd and 4th passenger catagory reaches it's maximum allowed, which on our fictional cruise ship is 600 passengers. After reaching the cut off of 600 3rd and 4th passengers on the cruise, cruise line X will only sell berths to 1st and 2nd passengers even though there may be cabins availible that could fit 3rd and 4th passengers. The cruise line just cannot sell those additional berths without breaking the required safety regulations.

I understand this may seem silly, "Why can't they just add one more passenger"? The cruise lines have to follow these safety regulations, no exceptions allowed. It has to do with required life boat space and required crew/passenger ratios and things like that. Sorry to say, but once a cruise line reaches the maximum number of 3rd and 4th passengers allowed on a cruise ship, it just cannot add any more.

There should be a waiting list kept by the cruise line you can get on in case someone cancels their cruise and some 3rd and 4th passenger berths open up.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would get on the waiting list, usually when its time for final payment, some spots open up.. Talk to your travel agent about that and best of luck.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Yeoman

Good luck getting on a wait list. They don't do that much any more! I'd call RCL again to see if a cabin is available for 3. Keep calling them every day as something may open up.
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:04 PM
First Mate

Hi!
Why don't you ask for a 4 pax cabin but you will be only 3 it does not matter if a bed is empty.

MTL
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL
Hi!
Why don't you ask for a 4 pax cabin but you will be only 3 it does not matter if a bed is empty.

MTL
The issue isn't a lack of cabins that will fit 3 or 4 persons, but no more 3rd and 4th passenger berths availible because of the max occupancy. All the OP can do is keep checking back to see if some 3rd and 4th passenger berths become availible.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old July 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Booking 3 Passengers per room?

bluecheezze,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
so, im trying to book a cruise on royal caribbean for 7 passengers.. but all of the 3 person capacity are out, and its kinda stupid to get a room for just 1 person since its the same price..

i called them and they say its not possible, but 2 years ago when i went on the carinval i was able to add a thrid person even tho the place was only for 2 person..

the only reason i'm asking is because my aunt n uncle has a daughter (my cuz) so i mean they cant leave her back, but the travel agents ive talked to all gave me the same answer.. i mean its not like we need an extra bed or anything, just another person in the cabin, but they arent all considerate about it

so am i out of luck? or can i do sumthing to make it possible?
The line may be refusing the booking for any of three reasons.

>> 1. All of the cabins with "upper" (third) berths are already reserved. They will not accept a booking that puts three people in a cabin with only two beds regardless of who thinks that the three people can make it work.

>> 2. The number of minors booked is equal to the quota for minors, based upon the capacity of the children's, youth, and teen centers.

>> 3. The booking would exceed the rated capacity of the ship.

And in all three cases, these limits are not flexible.

Realistically, your best option is to look into a different sailing. This could be a different ship (possibly on a different cruise line), a different sailing date, or both.

Norm.